What is this about Minneapolis "defunding" its PD?

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Yea, the good news is that proposal will most likely be defeated. I am all for police reform, but i certainly dont want control of public safety delegated to the City Council.

Yeah, I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I really don’t know but I do know city councils tend to be elections where almost nobody votes or they randomly check a box and they also tend to be under compensated positions which leads to a bunch of weirdo’s running for the seats.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yea, nobody really paid much attention until the "defund the police" rhetoric started, but the City Council has a scary amount of power. Fortunately, Mayor Frey still has ultimate control over the police department.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I hope it is defeated. This is not the time for experimenting with anything which remotely sounds like "defunding the police."

We are fighting the emergence of fascism in this country. Anything that helps the political party which is the nucleus of said fascist movement is a bad idea. Even if it would otherwise be a good idea.

Mar 11, 2004
Yea, the good news is that proposal will most likely be defeated. I am all for police reform, but i certainly dont want control of public safety delegated to the City Council.

Yeah its much better for all that power to be given to even fewer people! Even within the grounds of your argument its asinine to the point that it is truly astonishing. "We can't have a council of people having that power, that should only be up to the Mayor!" Like WTF kind of dumbshit argument is that? Seriously? I want to know what was going through your head when you thought that out? Beyond apparently standing in a puddle of piss from peeing your pants because you still do not understand what defunding police actually means. At this point you're basically all but just being a fucking moronic racist screaming about CRT, because that's how dumb you're being with regards to it.

Yeah, I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I really don’t know but I do know city councils tend to be elections where almost nobody votes or they randomly check a box and they also tend to be under compensated positions which leads to a bunch of weirdo’s running for the seats.

Yeah because that doesn't describe what, every political office there is? And yes, undoubtedly Mayor and police chief are much more thoroughly vetted and there's never been weirdos ever in either position. JHumeC, what the fuck is wrong with the logic parts of you 3's brains? How can you not see the inherently incredibly stupid logic of the arguments you're using?

The funniest part is apparently none of you 3 actually bothered to look at what "defunding" the police even means, yet you're trying to chastise others for ignorance.

I hope it is defeated. This is not the time for experimenting with anything which remotely sounds like "defunding the police."

We are fighting the emergence of fascism in this country. Anything that helps the political party which is the nucleus of said fascist movement is a bad idea. Even if it would otherwise be a good idea.

You aren't actually from the US, are you? Because you don't seem to have a goddamn clue. The police are the facsists, expecting them to save you from them is...well there's a reason I rarely respond to you after you threw a tantrum after I called out ridiculously goddamn stupid posts like when you victim blamed a 9 year old girl for acting too agitated and getting maced by police after they handcuffed her and tried to literally throw her into the backseat of a police car after they intentionally antagonized and escalated the situation. Remember when you did that?

Which, hell, even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you already knew the police have repeatedly shown themselves to be the fascists, so therefore your argument is simply "we need to keep the fascists busy doing menial police work so they don't become full blown Nazi genocidal fascists" I'd think it is still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on this forum. And that is truly saying something. Seriously do some of you ever even listen to yourselves or think about your arguments for even the time it took to type them out? Your arguments are shitting all over themselves, and you apparently are ok with that because you already pissed yourselves in fear.

I'm not sure if its racism, Vichy Frenchie syndrome (lick those boots, I already know you like the flavor), or what is causing you 3 to play "3 dumbass monkeys" derp no evil, diddle no evil, and dumbass the 3rd ape that just shits and eats it. Did literally none of you 3 bother to read what "defunding" in this situation entails? And how its not actually getting rid of police but rather aiding them with the help of others that would be much better at handling many of the cases that even police admit they're not good at handling? Nah, why do that when you can just pass along right wing propaganda like dumbasses while saying that if they do this it'll help right wingers because of the propaganda?

Reactions: KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah its much better for all that power to be given to even fewer people! Even within the grounds of your argument its asinine to the point that it is truly astonishing. "We can't have a council of people having that power, that should only be up to the Mayor!" Like WTF kind of dumbshit argument is that? Seriously? I want to know what was going through your head when you thought that out? Beyond apparently standing in a puddle of piss from peeing your pants because you still do not understand what defunding police actually means. At this point you're basically all but just being a fucking moronic racist screaming about CRT, because that's how dumb you're being with regards to it.

Yeah because that doesn't describe what, every political office there is? And yes, undoubtedly Mayor and police chief are much more thoroughly vetted and there's never been weirdos ever in either position. JHumeC, what the fuck is wrong with the logic parts of you 3's brains? How can you not see the inherently incredibly stupid logic of the arguments you're using?

The funniest part is apparently none of you 3 actually bothered to look at what "defunding" the police even means, yet you're trying to chastise others for ignorance.

You aren't actually from the US, are you? Because you don't seem to have a goddamn clue. The police are the facsists, expecting them to save you from them is...well there's a reason I rarely respond to you after you threw a tantrum after I called out ridiculously goddamn stupid posts like when you victim blamed a 9 year old girl for acting too agitated and getting maced by police after they handcuffed her and tried to literally throw her into the backseat of a police car after they intentionally antagonized and escalated the situation. Remember when you did that?

Which, hell, even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you already knew the police have repeatedly shown themselves to be the fascists, so therefore your argument is simply "we need to keep the fascists busy doing menial police work so they don't become full blown Nazi genocidal fascists" I'd think it is still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on this forum. And that is truly saying something. Seriously do some of you ever even listen to yourselves or think about your arguments for even the time it took to type them out? Your arguments are shitting all over themselves, and you apparently are ok with that because you already pissed yourselves in fear.

I'm not sure if its racism, Vichy Frenchie syndrome (lick those boots, I already know you like the flavor), or what is causing you 3 to play "3 dumbass monkeys" derp no evil, diddle no evil, and dumbass the 3rd ape that just shits and eats it. Did literally none of you 3 bother to read what "defunding" in this situation entails? And how its not actually getting rid of police but rather aiding them with the help of others that would be much better at handling many of the cases that even police admit they're not good at handling? Nah, why do that when you can just pass along right wing propaganda like dumbasses while saying that if they do this it'll help right wingers because of the propaganda?
Calm down man
I like your posts you are overreacting

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The status quo isn't working, giving them more power, more toys and no accountability sure as f$%k isn't working

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The status quo isn't working, giving them more power, more toys and no accountability sure as f$%k isn't working
We have a new chief of police who is very amenable to reform. Crime is up and the police force is down about 25% due to retirements and officers leaving the force for other reasons. I dont see how disbanding the police force is going to solve that problem. And BTW, "defund the police" has in a lot of cases been distorted in meaning but what a good portion of the City Council wants to do *is* in fact literally defund the police.

• Haha

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

Dude, did you ever think of going back on your meds? If not, you should strongly consider it before you blow a gasket.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What a gift! Honestly though, I’m pretty sure this won’t even be a thing as it’s hardly even brought up anymore. When republicans do bring it up it will be recognized for what it is, just more shit flinging by republicans about an issue they clearly don’t care about.

So long as there is violent crime in cities, and you know there is, Republicans will blame Democrats for having defunded the police.
And plenty of people will eat it up.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yes, I recall objecting to you calling me a "fascist bootlicker" for saying the 9 year old girl seemed "agitated." Because you're a self-righteous asshole who is perpetually long on feels and short on brains. Must have pissed you off when I called you on your BS since most people just seem to take your unhinged, insulting rants without reply.

This isn't about what we need to do to reform police, shit for brains. This is about the fact that "defund the police" and everything connected to it is politically toxic for democrats. Exit polls showed that the democrats lost older black and Hispanic voters over the issue. The democrats lost seats in both houses over it.

Electing republicans is unacceptable because they are a fascist party. I'm not going to argue with you over police, because this isn't about police. It's about whether we still have a democracy in this country by the end of the decade. If or when democracy is ever safe, we can talk about implementing these ideas.

I know exactly what it is. And it doesn't matter. Because it is nationally unpopular and will cost the democrats seats in 2022, and may contribute to Trump being re-elected in 2024. Democrats have to be smart right now. We push issues like healthcare reform, infrastructure and climate change mitigation because they are popular. We hold off on the things which are not because right now we are at war and losing is not an option.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Well, its on the ballot on Tuesday. And residents do NOT feel safe. Someting os vewwy vewwy wrong here.

Plan to replace Minneapolis PD worries many Black residents (msn.com)[AP}
Even if the measure passes, there will still be some sort of conventional police department, because state law requires arrests for certain crimes by armed officers. I am voting "no", and hope the amendment fails though. I agree with some of the goals, but there is no solid structure as to how the plan will be implemented. About half of the City Council is batshit crazy, and I dont trust them to implement a new plan. Also, the new chief of police seems determined to reform the department from within. I am willing to give him the chance to do so. I assumed the amendment was basically a political move by the extremely liberal members of the City Council, and would have no chance of passing. Unfortunately, it seems about a 50/50 chance that it will.

BTW, I still consider Minneapolis a relatively safe city, as compared to the way it is portrayed in the conservative media. My wife and I sat at a table with some people from Iowa at a dinner theater recently, obviously very conservative. Their first comment when we said we were from Minneapolis was: "Oh... I hope you are safe". I tried to be polite, but almost broke out laughing. Of course I feel safe. Yes, there is crime, and I would not go into certain areas, especially at night, but overall I dont feel any particular danger.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Defunding the police isnt doing so well in Seattle:
Seattle Implodes After Defunding The Police (msn.com)

The decision to remove this responsibility from police was part of a push in 2020 to reduce police funding and have civilians take on jobs typically handled by police, according to The Seattle Times. The City Council cut the police budget by 17% in 2020, far short of its 50% goal.

Crime has soared in Seattle in recent years: the city saw a 95% increase in shots fired and a 171% increase in people being shot from 2021 to 2022, according to The Seattle Times. Seattle’s violent crime rate, which had been steady for 30 years, suddenly jumped 20% in 2021.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is an idea being considered in many cities, not just in the US. I really don't know any details either.

That said, recently a City, I think it was actually Minneapolis even, had mandated that the Police cease the type of Training that included the type of action that lead to this recent Death. The Police chose to teach those tactics despite it though. Destroying the whole Department, under these circumstances, would seem to be the only way the City could fix their problem.
Heck the police are already boycotting Seattle. Apparently, they don't want to work in Seattle. The whole situation is strange. If you don't love me, I won't work here.

Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I mean the perception I had even before I moved here, before the defunding, was that SPD didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot anyway.
I did finally see a couple SPD patrol SUVs downtown a few weeks ago, confirming that they do in fact exist. I was starting to think they were only a legend.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I agreed with the slogan "Defund the Police" for about five days.

Then I realized that's not what we opponents of police brutality really wanted.

We wanted a shift in police funding priorities. We need police. But too many police responses required a counselor or a social worker.

Not impatient uniformed, armed men or women who wanted to get home or to a bar.

Because the latter usually ended in tragedy.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Heck the police are already boycotting Seattle. Apparently, they don't want to work in Seattle. The whole situation is strange. If you don't love me, I won't work here.

forget love, if you don’t worship the police and give them everything they ask for, then fuck you

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Defunding the police isnt doing so well in Seattle:
Seattle Implodes After Defunding The Police (msn.com)

Wonder what's going on with crime across the country, in cities that didn't defund their police, over the same time period? Kinda important to look at the comparative rates, you know, what with all the shit been happening everywhere.

Wonder what all of those police-and-gun-happy states are doing in terms of mass murder events, eh?

Not "crime" though, I guess. pity, that.