Pooja Singhania

Feb 27, 2018
i have to submit an assignment tommorrow so kindly please help me with relevant data please. i wanna know what is the role of WWW in distributed computing system.

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
That depends on the system and need. It could be access to multiple private clusters of computers located in different buildings that are only connected via the internet. It could be access to millions of donor computers. It could be advertising. Access to software, knowledge, etc... It is a pretty broad topic really.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Conceptually, in large part, the Internet serves as the connectivity between nodes in a very widely spaced HPC system. In traditional HPCs or supercomputers, connectivity is handled by things like 10GbE or Infiniband. The use of slow, high latency Internet connectivity dictates the way the software for DC is written and implemented.

Edited.

Last edited:

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Except not all Distributed Computing is based on the concept of a super computer being broken down into smaller systems. Sometimes it needs multiple starting points and/or locations. For example, Quake Catcher Network and Radioactive@home needs systems spread out all over the world in order to work. A single super computer cannot do this at all. DIMES would scour the web testing routes that data would take. There were others like Anansi & Surveil that also was more interested in multiple locations like that.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Except not all Distributed Computing is based on the concept of a super computer being broken down into smaller systems. Sometimes it needs multiple starting points and/or locations. For example, Quake Catcher Network and Radioactive@home needs systems spread out all over the world in order to work. A single super computer cannot do this at all. DIMES would scour the web testing routes that data would take. There were others like Anansi & Surveil that also was more interested in multiple locations like that.
You're right, of course. I thought the question was general and somewhat simplistic, so my intent was to calibrate an answer accordingly.