What is the nicest thing you bought for yourself?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
i'm suddenly feeling very poor after looking at your purchaces...i'm a bit jelly :)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Since it is a pickup and not a car, mine would be my 2017 Ram 2500 laramie longhorn diesel pickup.

If we discount that, it would probably be my 2017 Arctic Cat mountain cat snowmobile. I get a new snowmobile every year or every other year, depending on what the new models have though.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hmmm..I guess I just spent 5k on a tv so for 'frivolous' that might be the most outside of lake land, campers, motorcycles and vehicles.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My first VCR was the first SVHS, the one made by JVC about 1989. I'm looking at it right now. It doesn't work anymore, I should really toss it. It cost me $1000 and I brought it home on my bicycle rack! That was a splurge, I was dirt poor. I spent a little more than that on my first laptop, a Thinkpad T60, new, the end of 2006. Had basically the cheapest core 2 duo processor, the T5500 and ran XP. I still have it and it's working and running W10. My two other Thinkpads I bought used.

I have a 1/2 decent projector for movies and HDTV, Epson 8700UB, bought as a refurb for around $1700. Deep blacks, which my previous Sanyo didn't have. Some movies were unwatchable with the Sanyo.

I have some pretty decent tools for working around the house.

Sometimes it makes sense to spend some money. I like to do my homework before I decide, though. I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that I made a good choice when I buy something. I've made a few mistakes buying things, but not many.

I used to be super frugal on food but nowadays I've loosened up some. I buy mostly organic fruits and vegetables, for instance.

I've never bought expensive wines but have a small collection of fine liqueurs. I rarely touch them, though.

I can't see indulging in cars. I've fantasied about getting a Porsche 911, but driving conditions around here these days, why bother? Traffic and potholes have taken the fun out of driving.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
My first VCR was the first SVHS, the one made by JVC about 1989. I'm looking at it right now. It doesn't work anymore, I should really toss it. It cost me $1000 and I brought it home on my bicycle rack! That was a splurge, I was dirt poor.....

Hmm I have a JVC SVHS as well and purchased it about the same time and under the same circumstances, I was poor. But it had editing capability, forgot what its was called, you could stop and start recording without the wavy lines. Same thing that real editing video recorders had. Mine still works. Does it look like this?

jvc190.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Since it is a pickup and not a car, mine would be my 2017 Ram 2500 laramie longhorn diesel pickup.

If we discount that, it would probably be my 2017 Arctic Cat mountain cat snowmobile. I get a new snowmobile every year or every other year, depending on what the new models have though.

What are your thoughts on the shifter 'knob?' TBH, that's the only deterrent for me in my upcoming vehicle purchase.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
What are your thoughts on the shifter 'knob?' TBH, that's the only deterrent for me in my upcoming vehicle purchase.

Mine still has the column shifter with the push buttons on the handle to set gears, but I know they are doing that on the half ton pickups. When I was shopping for mine I was only interested in a model with a cummmins, and none that I looked at had that weird newish knob. I did notice it in a power wagon gas pickup, but since I was only considering diesel trucks I didn't look at it real close.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Traded in my older truck for a new 08 Tundra. Didn't really need it but it was sooo nice. Paid off now and still running great.

Besides that, I splurged on a nice suit from Nordstrom.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Mine still has the column shifter with the push buttons on the handle to set gears, but I know they are doing that on the half ton pickups. When I was shopping for mine I was only interested in a model with a cummmins, and none that I looked at had that weird newish knob. I did notice it in a power wagon gas pickup, but since I was only considering diesel trucks I didn't look at it real close.

Now you've got me looking at the new Cummins models...how are you liking it so far?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Now you've got me looking at the new Cummins models...how are you liking it so far?

It is amazing, I could not ask for a more perfect truck. It tows my 26' camper like it is not even there, and mileage is so much better than my gas pickup was when towing, though it is about the same in city traffic and when not towing anything. I put a bully dog tuner in mine also, and can add up to 130hp over stock, but I typically keep it on the towing mode in the summer. I have only put it on the extreme setting once, and it was insane. I am looking forward to towing my gooseneck snowmobile trailer in the winter, and seeing how it does.

I just did my first oil and fuel filter change, and keep in mind the newer ones 2013+ have two fuel filters - one in the rear and one in the front. There is an amazon seller that is selling the combo for about half price over what my local dealership and the local auto parts store charge, but it definitely pays to do that maintenance yourself. Also, the fleetguard LF9028 oil filter, made for a kubota, is perfect if you want to extend the life of synthetic oil. It has a built in bypass filter, and after sending some samples of my oil in for testing, they show I can go about 25,000 miles per oil change on Valvoline premium blue 5w40 synthetic.

I plan on keeping this truck for a long, long time, so the decision to spring for the laramie longhorn package (has sunroof, remote start, leather everything, etc, etc) was an easy one. I put a leveling kit on it pretty quick after I got it, but that is not required or anything, and the only other mods I have done is add a weathertech tonneau and a lightbar mounted between the tow hooks.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
spent a few years modding the car. add up all the dollars and it's too damn much.