Question What is the correct color coding for an Atheros AR5BXB72 in a Dell E6430?

jimmysofat6864

May 3, 2021
I am using an Atheros AR5BXB72 Wi-Fi card that I pulled out of a MacBook Pro so I can use my Dell E6430 to get 5Ghz Wi-Fi. When hooking up the antennas, I noticed that the card itself didn't have any color coding and had numbers on it. My laptop color-coded the antenna cables. I was wondering if there was a specific way that I should connect the antennas. Reading around, people have said that White is primary and the Black was the aux, and grey was used for MIMO.

With that being said, I decided to hook up the card this way.

White: Pin 0

Black: Pin 1

Grey: Pin 2

I am not sure if I did this right and if there is anybody else that has an Atheros card with only numbers on it can they provide some help. I have it attached like this.

image_50399745.JPG

Can anybody confirm I did this right? At the moment the link speed shows up as 300mpbs and seems to function.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
IF its working, its probably correct.

IF you have bluetooth on the card, i would recommend trying that out as well.
IF everything is working, then yes, you got it wired right.

jimmysofat6864

May 3, 2021
IF its working, its probably correct.

IF you have bluetooth on the card, i would recommend trying that out as well.
IF everything is working, then yes, you got it wired right.
Card has no bluetooth and Wi-Fi works so looks like I'll stick with this. Other posts seem to show other color combinations though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Card has no bluetooth and Wi-Fi works so looks like I'll stick with this. Other posts seem to show other color combinations though.

nah dont worry much... if you got the full 300mbps your good as thats is the limit range for N.