what is the best way for America to create more jobs?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
But liberals think that wealth is evil...

Hey maybe that is why we aren't seeing any right now.. :hmm:

In the hands of certain people it is beyond evil

History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself History repeats itself

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The problem isn't jobs, it's wealth creation. The federal government could easily give everyone a job, bringing unemployment to zero. That would require either massively devaluing the dollar, or taking more than half what we earn in taxes. Either way our standard of living would plummet.

What we need to concentrate on is wealth production - how we maximize manufacturing, mining, farming, fishing. There are easy answers there too, but not without significant negatives. Removing environmental and safety regulations & laws and removing red tape would bring back a lot of manufacturing and mining jobs, at the expense of widespread pollution and injured workers. Removing environmental regulations and laws on fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides would make our farming more competitive, at the expense of widespread pollution and species driven to extinction, and lowered public health. Eliminating limits, seasons, sanctuaries and illegal methods would be a boon to fishing, but would soon destroy stocks, driving some species extinct and seriously unbalancing marine ecosystems. There are no easy answers.

Personally I thing we're going to have to go back to import tariffs as the main method of funding government, which will allow us to artificially make foreign products as expensive (or more so) than American-made products. We're also going to have to decouple health insurance from employment - I prefer individual health savings accounts, but it will probably be through government-rationed health care. And I'd like to see the corporate income tax abolished and replaced with a national sales tax like the FairTax, which would force foreign manufacturers to bear at least the same effective tax rate as domestic manufacturers. Unfortunately things like wealth envy will prevent most of these things from happening. Too many people find punishing the rich much more important than saving domestic manufacturing.

Hogwash.

You act as if unemployed people don't affect the "standard of living" at all, as if they don't even exist.

And the whole thing about wealth creation ignores the fact that we're the wealthiest country in the world, and that we currently have excess capacity, capacity that isn't being used, to do whatever we want with it.

People need jobs to participate in the economy in more than marginal ways, regardless of the kind of work they do. Yeh, really. I know that's an old fashioned concept, but that's how we do it. We "work" to "get money" to "buy things". When enough of us are denied work, which is essentially what's happening, that system starts to fall apart. And if we need to invent useful tasks for people to do to make us all feel like they "earn" their money, so much the better. Back in the 1930's, we didn't "need" all the stuff that the WPA & CCC accomplished, although it's nice that they did, what we needed was for people to have jobs to participate in the economy. That's the same today.

If we double the wealth in the country & it all goes to the top, stays there, we won't have solved any problems at all, because those at the top don't really have any economic problems, nor will significant amounts of it trickledown to the rest of us. If the events & non events of the last 3 years have taught us anything, it's that trickledown doesn't work, never worked, never could work w/o massive debt acquisition at every level other than the top, where they own the debt.

Where are those Job Creators of Republican myth & legend, anyway?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

You and possum aren't necessarily that far off. He's just saying that people should be put back to work in productive industrial jobs and that tariffs can help with that.

Redistributing wealth alone is not going to change any long term problems. Say you give unemployed people more benefits. They're going to spend their money on basic needs that are more often than not produced in China. That money is not going to go to creating more jobs or more wealth in the US.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You and possum aren't necessarily that far off. He's just saying that people should be put back to work in productive industrial jobs and that tariffs can help with that.

Redistributing wealth alone is not going to change any long term problems. Say you give unemployed people more benefits. They're going to spend their money on basic needs that are more often than not produced in China. That money is not going to go to creating more jobs or more wealth in the US.

I didn't say pay unemployment, I said create jobs. If that means we have the cleanest streets, highways & parks, the fastest snow removal, the best emergency response, the best maintained state & federal buildings & vehicles in the universe, fine. If it means we have the best govt hotlines & magnificent paperwork organization, peachy. If it means no waiting at the DMV, even better.

What those people are going to do first is pay the rent & feed the kids, Then they're going to keep the utilities turned on, so they can stay warm in the freakin' winter. Then they're going to pay for phone service, gas & auto repairs, so they can actually find a better job, or get to one when they do. Then they'll pay for the doctor when the kids get sick. Same with the dentist. After that, they buy clothes & shoes, and really have little choice but to buy foreign made...

Somewhere along the line they may acquire some schlock from Guangdong. Get the picture?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Somewhere along the line they may acquire some schlock from Guangdong. Get the picture?

It's not quite that insignificant. Again, its that kind of consumerism that once drove this economy and employed people at productive jobs.

Anyway, all I was saying is you're not that far off from what the other poster was saying. Stop being so angry. It doesn't really help get your point across.

spikespiegal

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
Redistributing wealth alone is not going to change any long term problems. Say you give unemployed people more benefits. They're going to spend their money on basic needs that are more often than not produced in China.

Here's what's interesting about that comment (although I don't disagree with the poster).

The trade imbalance with China along their pegged currency multiplied by cheap labor is the most blatant form of "wealth redistribution" you can imagine. When labor and skills in the U.S are off shored to countries with a drastically lower production cost thanks to unequal factors then you are redistributing wealth. Christ, the Romans used to complain about this when building projects were 'offshored' to nearby provinces with cheaper slave labor.

Spare me the rhetoric about China turning around and buying our debt. The loss of the multiplier effect by keeping those jobs in the U.S. is orders of magnitude worse than the Chinese buying U.S. treasuries. We all know it, but there's nothing we can do about it because no member of the House or Senate will turn away campaign contributions from Chinese backed lobbiests. The good news is that China is setting themselves up for the 'mother of all' financial bubbles and it will hurt them more than us when it bursts.

Moving our economy away from 'money shuffling' would also help create jobs if done properly. A tax on financial markets and transactions was a good idea being tossed around in 2007', but has since lost steam. Even banks are starting to make threats to their own large account holders stashing cash, so maybe this is a good idea. We've also been brainwashed into believing Wallstreet is the center of our economy when it's not. The value of the market as a whole cannot increase without either an increase in productivity or debt, and now we've realized it's the later.

My left wing friends get ticked when I say this and while I hate siding with conservatives when it comes to economics, but business taxes need to be lowered or eliminated. Raise top tier personal income tax rates through the roof if you must, but we need to encourage business creation and growth. Lowering taxes on corporate, non-financial income will actually force jobs to be created. Ask any green start-up what their #1 complaint is and it's always how foreign governments back their new industries while in the U.S. it's all lip service. So yeah, it's a form of supply side job creation, but at a grass roots level and infrastructure.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
What if the final product is assembled in the States but the parts were made and partially assembled outside the US?

State on the label what percentage of the product was produced in the US. US citizens buying US produced goods would creat more jobs in the US

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Build a time machine and stop Alexander Hamilton's parents from ever conceiving him.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
State on the label what percentage of the product was produced in the US. US citizens buying US produced goods would creat more jobs in the US
I'm very much in favor of that. Right now companies like to game the system and move most of the profits offshore. Require percentage-cost labeling and you fix a bit of that - can't have it both ways.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Abolish Government Regulation
Abolish the Minimum Wage
Abolish Insurance Requirements
--Voila, Jobs.

-John