What is the best video game fantasy world?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Fantasy for me means magic, swords etc. That's why I went with Elder Scrolls. I like it slightly more than Forgotten Realms.

Fallout and Warhammer 40k are sci-fi for me, not fantasy.

I think you could call them science fantasy and so they fit : p Yea, that's why I listed Elder Scrolls and threw in Fallout as a side note.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
As far as Elder scrolls goes - I liked Morrowind 10x as much as Oblivion. Oblivion was kind of blah imo.

I haven't spent much time with Skyrim yet, but the world didn't captivate me like Morrowond's did when I first got into it.

I would love to play Daggerfall more to check out that huge world, but for some reason when I get to the first enemy (a mouse, I think) I can't damage it at all, no matter what I do. It seems like some kind of glitch.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
As far as Elder scrolls goes - I liked Morrowind 10x as much as Oblivion. Oblivion was kind of blah imo.

I haven't spent much time with Skyrim yet, but the world didn't captivate me like Morrowond's did when I first got into it.

I would love to play Daggerfall more to check out that huge world, but for some reason when I get to the first enemy (a mouse, I think) I can't damage it at all, no matter what I do. It seems like some kind of glitch.

As much as I loved Daggerfall as a kid, It had so many game breaking bugs even on the right hardware/operating system that I can't imagine it'd be playable on anything modern.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Fallout, Warhammer 40k, VTMB, and EVE Online

correction: Realized the OP said "Fantasy" as in sword and board.......BG / IWD worlds, Warhammer Fantasy, Elder Scrolls and the Planescape world.

Last edited:

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I've been thinking lately that I still believe that the Star Wars KOTOR universe was better done than the Dragon Age universe or the mass effect universe.

Warhammer 40k has both beat IMO.

and to date World of Warcraft is even better.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Actually, I had wanted to make a thread asking, if you could be in any fantasy world, video game or otherwise, what would you pick? I mean, plopped right down in the middle of things, no limit on what you could do, including use your foreknowledge of events?

For pure beauty, I like Rabanastre and other places in Final Fantasy XII.

For other purposes, it's hard to choose between Star Wars and Star Trek...probably SW though, somewhere in the years after Yavin.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Forgotten Realms, though Planescape: Torment is my favorite computer RPG of all time.

"What can change the nature of a man"?

Technically speaking, PST is Forgotten Realms.

Also, I noticed in the modified original post that the OP included Dragon Age. Considering there really has only been one (good) game in that realm, it is more of a one off. I can't see anyone comparing that to the bredth and depth of games like Forgotten Realms and Elder Scrolls or Ultima or any of the others. Just my opinion.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Technically speaking, PST is Forgotten Realms.

Also, I noticed in the modified original post that the OP included Dragon Age. Considering there really has only been one (good) game in that realm, it is more of a one off. I can't see anyone comparing that to the bredth and depth of games like Forgotten Realms and Elder Scrolls or Ultima or any of the others. Just my opinion.

While Planescape and Forgotten Realms are both D&D caimpaign settings, I am pretty sure they are seperate settings. Planescape was released as a setting in 1994, while Forgotten Realms was released in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape

I am likely wrong, since I have only played D&D via video games, but I remembered reading that the two realms were different. Reading the Wiki seems to confirm that to me, but then I only had time to skim it before posting.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Poll below

edit: shit, no poll!

okay, what is the best fantasy universe as depicted by video games.

Warcraft
Starcraft
Star Wars
Warhammer
Warhammer 40k
Lord of the Rings
Dragon Age
Mass Effect

It is funny that you aren't including most of the suggestions from the people who have responded to your thread.

I would suggest at least adding them when you finally do add a poll.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
While Planescape and Forgotten Realms are both D&D caimpaign settings, I am pretty sure they are seperate settings. Planescape was released as a setting in 1994, while Forgotten Realms was released in 1987.

I am likely wrong, since I have only played D&D via video games, but I remembered reading that the two realms were different. Reading the Wiki seems to confirm that to me, but then I only had time to skim it before posting.

Planescape is the "Ethereal" realm as part of the Multi-verse outside of Forgotten realms. It may not be the same "World", but it is definitely the same "Universe". Same rule books apply. And it would be reasonable to see Drizzt or Eleminster wandering through the Planescape.

Not to mention, same game engine.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I like Warhammer 40k. Nice mix of sci-fi and ethereal stuff.

I also like the stories from the Halo universe, which is odd, because I don't really like the game series.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

You're right in technicality. Planescape represents a host of different planes.

Outer Planes - Places like the Abyss, Hades, Pandemonium, Elysium, Ysgard, and so on. Originally there was no known number, but in the later editions they made it so each plane was matched with an alignment (Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, Neutral Good, etc). This is where most of the gods were found and where the souls of dead people from the Material planes would end up.

Inner Planes - Planes based on the elements. Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Negative Energy, Positive Energy. Pretty inhospitable places as they're made up entirely of that element.

Material Plane - Worlds like Faerun (Forgotten Realms), Krynn (Dragonlance), Athas (Dark Sun), etc exist all in the Prime Material plane. Another D&D system, Spelljammer, was based around traveling between these worlds through the Phlogiston.

There was also the Astral and Ethereal planes which were basically the links between the Material and Outer/Inner planes.

Planescape Torment takes place mostly in Sigil, the City of Doors. It's located smack dab in the middle of the Outer Planes and has portals all over the place to every plane.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls).

If I had to choose one fantasy land to actually visit, it would be the islands from Far Cry or Crysis (provided there were no military commandos/mutant hybrids/aliens). I mean, tropical paradise... how could you not like that?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Half Life 2's ambience and mood I think is almost unmatched, it just pulls you in so well.

Depth, I think classic D&D is pretty impressive. I guess it's Forgotten Realms. I'm not actually that familiar with it but through NWN's "Higher Grounds" mod I've picked up a bit; the layers of hell, The Blood War, the Abyss, devils and demons, Elder Evils etc. It's very well woven.

For an MMO world, Vana'diel has no equal. It's old, but I think it's the most alive and real any has ever felt. The art direction is so superb, in spite of the graphical limitations I still think the windmills in Konschtat Highlands when the clouds darken is one of the prettiest sights ever in a game. I wish more games would incorporate weather and time into the ambience and gameplay as well as FFXI did, it's surprisingly effective at bringing it to life.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Half Life 2's ambience and mood I think is almost unmatched, it just pulls you in so well.

Depth, I think classic D&D is pretty impressive. I guess it's Forgotten Realms. I'm not actually that familiar with it but through NWN's "Higher Grounds" mod I've picked up a bit; the layers of hell, The Blood War, the Abyss, devils and demons, Elder Evils etc. It's very well woven.

For an MMO world, Vana'diel has no equal. It's old, but I think it's the most alive and real any has ever felt. The art direction is so superb, in spite of the graphical limitations I still think the windmills in Konschtat Highlands when the clouds darken is one of the prettiest sights ever in a game. I wish more games would incorporate weather and time into the ambience and gameplay as well as FFXI did, it's surprisingly effective at bringing it to life.

The_Planescape_Multiverse_by_zen79.jpg