What is the best method for jumping into a body of water from a considerable height?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is the best method to dive from extraordinary height?

• Head First

• Ass first

• Legs first

• Go for the gold. Stomach or Back.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
feet first for me, though i've always put my chin to my chest and my arms above my head, hands together pointing up like a toothpick. highest i've jumped is 70 or 80 feet. the navy method looks less prone to getting seriously injured but more prone to more parts of your body slapping the water and causing pain. if i was tossed out of something, that's the form i hope i would try to get. if i can control the jump myself, i'd still use my original method cuz i'm comfortable with it.

my buddy jumped his first time trying to hold his arms at his side pointed down his thighs, but the impact yanked them up. he didn't tear any muscles but said it hurt pretty bad.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Feet first... there is a reason that the navy, coast guard and everyone else teaches this method.

Head first is just stupid. Let's use your most vital organ to break the surface of the water. :rolleyes:

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
we had a ~50-60 ft quarry jump i went off a few times in my younger years. both feet first and diving (just how perk describes it: you jump out, not down). i made a fist with both hands to break the surface tension.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
where is the cannonball option? I would want to make the most badass splash possible

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
feet first, with an old pair of sneakers on

This. Also try to be perpendicular to the water when you land. There's a high bridge around here that's popular for college kids to jump off of. My brother did it twice with the above method. The second time his feet were slightly in front of him, and the back of his legs took quite the beating because of it.

A few years ago a girl jumped off the bridge, landed wrong, and broke her sternum :eek:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just realized, no one has asked the obvious:

OP, what is a "considerable" height?

Like, taller than an alternator?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Feet first if you don't know the depth of the water; otherwise head-first.

If you dive head-first into a body of water from a great height, it needs to be pretty deep. Otherwise you risk smacking your head on the bottom, causing paralysis and possibly drowning.

If you go feet-first into water that is too shallow, I suppose you would break your legs, but at least you could still use your arms to surface and swim to safety.

This. Not that I have much experience but from what I've read and seen if you are going to dive head first make sure you have your arms extended out in front of you and have your hands horizontal to the water. Like this

..o
|... |
|_ _|

The platform created by your hands is supposed to break the water tension and create a cavity for your body to enter the water better. Again so I hear.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
While the "swan dive" method might make you look cooler, it's definitely not recommended for the average person jumping from over 20' into the water. :rolleyes:

Besides, the navy method was developed for people abandoning a sinking ship, likely with wreckage in the water. You sure don't go in head first when there's a good possibility that a small/medium size piece of junk will impact your head, whereas going feet first might hurt, but probably won't knock you out or kill you. There's also the fact that people will be hurt, scared, and generally freaking out. Pretty sure no one is going to pull the stunt of doing a swan dive.

Sep 29, 2004
having grown up near a large lock that is part of the Erie canal, I can tell you that you go feet first and with shoes on!

Sep 12, 2004
This. Not that I have much experience but from what I've read and seen if you are going to dive head first make sure you have your arms extended out in front of you and have your hands horizontal to the water. Like this

..o
|... |
|_ _|

The platform created by your hands is supposed to break the water tension and create a cavity for your body to enter the water better. Again so I hear.
You don't really want to do it that way. You can sprain or break your wrists. For those that have to dive head first, make a fist in each hand. Punch the water as you enter and it will make for a softer landing. Works the same for feet-first when you kick at the water as you enter.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
If you don't know the depth, find out the depth, then decide... seriously more folks are killed from items beneath the water or the bottom being too shallow. i have seen many jump before looking , 2 of my friends are wheelchair bound as a result

ok then after safe free fall dive lol