What is the best method for jumping into a body of water from a considerable height?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is the best method to dive from extraordinary height?

• Head First

• Ass first

• Legs first

• Go for the gold. Stomach or Back.

Results are only viewable after voting.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol.

My brother did SERE training and they were told that if they parachuted over water they should never release from the chute until their toes break the surface. The reason is that we're really bad at judging our hight above water, so sometime people would release from the parachute thinking they were about to splash (and not wanting to get tangles with the parachute), and then proceed to fall thousands of feet to their death.

At that kind of height, it's basically instant death, it's like hitting concrete.

yup. whenever you see people (in movies) jumping from a speed boat or helicopter, or something going quite fast and/or at some significant distance above the water, you should consider that in reality, that impact would not only rip your clothes off, but perhaps a few layers of skin, as well. break some bones, whatever.

It's definitely concrete.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Legs first and keep them flexible so you can jump off the bottom and not break something.

Head first for any sort of significant depth since you can control your descent better.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
From heights above 50ft, less than that does matter much. But Feet first toes pointed. Slight bending of knees ...about 3 degrees so you back does not have to absorb all impact and shields balls. Hands over face with elbows tucked in tight so you retinas do not get damaged or you get KOed.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Just talking out my ass here but:

I think head first requires more experience and if done right is better/safer than feet first. The reason being that the top of your skull and your shoulders are harder and able to absorb more impact than your ass, your balls or anywhere on the underside of your body which consist of soft tissue. Plus most people are top heavy so you have more balance during freefall and less likely to flop. I still voted for feet first though since the avg joe probably has a better chance of survival going leg first due to lack of experience in diving head first.

At least when watching videos[real or fake], from great height... when jumping legs first, people tend to flail and circle their arms to keep balance and cross their arms in the last second... even then they make a big splash. Then compare that to people who dive off cliffs into the ocean... no flailing at all. So again, the difference is experience. If you're not afraid and know what to do, I think head first is def the way to go.

Last edited:

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
lol.

My brother did SERE training and they were told that if they parachuted over water they should never release from the chute until their toes break the surface. The reason is that we're really bad at judging our hight above water, so sometime people would release from the parachute thinking they were about to splash (and not wanting to get tangles with the parachute), and then proceed to fall thousands of feet to their death.

At that kind of height, it's basically instant death, it's like hitting concrete.

I can vouch for that.

I had a para-sailing experience go bad when a storm blew in while I was up in the air. To make a long story short, they cut the tow line and I floated down 300' or so.

I remember thinking that there was no way I could tell where the water was, or how fast I was descending. The lake looked like a flat green surface with very few reference points for me to gauge the distance.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I thought it was hand first. You use your hands to break the water, not your head.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The navy teaches in basic that if you have to jump off the deck of a ship you are supposed to cross your arms across your chest, jump feet first then cross your feet on the way down.

A lot of stories of people with broke arm/legs because they were sticking out when they hit the water. For reference it is about 50ft to the water off the deck of a carrier.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
supposedly one thing to be careful of when going feet-first is the knees can come up and hit you in the head, knocking you unconscious

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Can you guys tell me why it's legs first? I've seen people hold their legs together, while others just put them as close together as possible. For anyone who has done this, do the legs come easily apart?

Back in my navy days, they explained how to do it properly:
1. feet first, cross ankles to help hold your legs together, point your toes as much as possible. This helps to break the surface tension of the water
2. cross your arms across your chest, in an X pattern (either hand on opposite shoulder area). This helps to keep the water from snapping your head back, and breaking your neck.
3. chin down against your chest, again to help keep from breaking your neck.

We actually had to go to the base pool in basic training, and prove (from the diving platform, about 10' above the water) that we could do that, plus tread water for a couple minutes, then make our way down to the other end of the pool by any means other than pulling ourselves along the side of the pool, in order to pass our swim test. Yes, that's right. Your ship might go down in the middle of the ocean, but all you're required to know how to do is tread water and dog paddle!! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and that method really does work. One smartass, on a no-fly day, during a steel deck picnic, won a bet by "accidentally" jumping off the flight deck, to the water below. About 80' vertical height off the water. They hauled him out of the water, and marched him straight up to the bridge, where the Captain was waiting to give him an Article 15 (Captain's Mast) hearing. He very convincingly told the Captain that he jumped after the frisbee his buddy had thrown, and didn't realize he was going over the side until it was too late. Seeing as they pulled him out of the water with frisbee in hand, the Captain let him off with a rather stern warning. :sneaky:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Dad was taught the feet crossed method in WW2, but with one hand over the jewels.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Well, the Navy method if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do know what you're doing, then a "head first" dive if FAR more elegant and gives you far more control, like a swallow in flight.

Thing is, you don't dive downwards, you dive outwards and let gravity gradually bring you into a downward arc, both arms together and straight out (now down) in front of you for the LEAST possible resistance as you break the water, instead knifing through.

Jumping from a HUGE height, even with your feet crossed the blunt impact could easily break both of your ankles.

Jeez, aren't there any divers here?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
This is all great if you can keep your body properly oriented. Problem is how to stop rotation. Practice makes perfect no doubt.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This is all great if you can keep your body properly oriented. Problem is how to stop rotation. Practice makes perfect no doubt.

Which is why you dive "head first" UP and out, arms at first out at your sides like wings -- the classic Swan Dive -- if you know how.

You then let the motion bring you into a "head first" downward arc, and bring your arms together on either side of your ears, cradling your head, fingers straight out, for the very least frontal impact as you knife into the water.

Following this procedure, you can actually have some control as to your direction, of which you have NONE if you jump.

You can actually change your course side to side to a degree in this position if you see (which you can) something you are barreling down on and need to avoid it, as well.

I'm sure someone can find a vid of this sequence on the net.

It's called . . . diving.

If you know how, diving > jumping by a huge margin.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Cannonball.

mayor_cannonball1.jpg

Sep 12, 2004
Here's some info based on personal experience:

When I was in the military and stationed in Germany I used to hang out with a group of guys called Pathfinders. They were gung-ho types whose collective dream was to make it into Special Forces, though most of them weren't quite bright enough to do that. Still, they were a bunch of great guys that were always doing something insane on their off time.

One of the places we frequented was an old rock quarry located just outside of Öhringen. We used to camp there during the weekends, usually with a few of the local women and plenty of alcohol. This particular quarry also happened to be designated an FKK location, which in German stands for Frei Körper Kultur, which literally translates in English to Free Body Culture. In English we'd call it a nude beach.

The quarry was cut so a deep lake had formed along with a sheer cliff on one side, about a 75 foot drop. One of the craziest Pathfinders, and probably the best candidate for Special Forces, had jumped bridges when he was younger so when he saw this place he simply had to cliff jump. Damned if he didn't pull it off. Upon seeing his success, naturally, everyone else had to do it too.

To cut an already long story short, I jumped too; and eventually jumped this place many times. My balls were up in my throat the first time. It was a bit surreal. I'm standing on a cliff looking across the quarry to the other side and there's an audience of 1000 or so bare-ass naked Germans watching stupid, crazy Americans jumping off this cliff.

My Pathfinder buddy gave me the basics on jumping, and being young, dumb, full off cum, and pretty buzzed, I decided to go for it.

The first time I didn't put enough tension on my leg muscles. Upon impacting the water my knees came up hard and hit me in the chest and knocked nearly all of the air out of my lungs, and knocked me a bit silly too. Being 20 feet or so underwater, it's not a good feeling having your lungs emptied of air and nearly unconscious. I struggled to the surface, caught my breath, and managed to swim back across to the other side.

My first jump was nearly a failure but, hey, I learned what I had done wrong and soon enough was ready for another jump...because near death is nothing more than a second chance when you're young, stupid, and drunk. Fortunately the second jump was nearly perfect and each jump became subsequently easier.

First of all, jump feet first. Diving head first from height requires that you know exactly what you're doing with your arms and hands. If you don't do it right you'll impact your head and get knocked the fuck out.

Second, wrap your arms tightly across your chest. You DO NOT want your arms out because you can easily tear a muscle, ligament, or cartilidge in your shoulder on impact. Keep your arms tucked in.

Third (and maybe one of the most important), keep your eyes on the horizon all the way through the jump until impact. Your head controls your body attitude during the jump. If you tilt your head to look down when jumping you will rotate forward. A belly flop is not a desirable finish.

Maintain a small flex in your knees. Point your feet at a 45 degree angle to the water and try to extend your knees at impact. This will prevent your knees from coming up and knocking the wind out of you and helps to break the surface tension of the water too.

After impact, tighten you stomach muscles to pull your feet up. Doing that makes your decent in the water more horizontal and prevents you from going too deep. After a big jump you really don't want to be swimming up from a 20 - 25 foot depth. If you do it right you'll only be 10 ft. or so deep.

Anyway, have fun and make smart choices. If you don't want to do it when the time comes, don't do it. Do it only when you think you're ready.

If you're an adrenaline junky like I used to be you'll get a huge rush, so enjoy.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Look at what the USCG does when they have to rescue fools.