What is the best metal band?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HalosPuma

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
Metallica... but only up until And Justice For All. WTF is all the crap they put out after that?

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: HalosPuma
Metallica... but only up until And Justice For All. WTF is all the crap they put out after that?

Damn I miss how abrasive they were during this time also...what did happen anyway???

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
Dream Theater. They're more progressive than metal though. I just call them "progressive metal".

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I hope Motley Crue was a joke... really

Voted Metallica but Megadeth is up there too

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Hey, what's up MDE. BTW Rob Halford would feast on the brains of Lars Ulrich without a second thought.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ZePHyRaNTHeS
Dream Theater. They're more progressive than metal though. I just call them "progressive metal".

I don't like their newer stuff. I have all of their studio albums, and the last two were no where near as good as the earier ones (Except for Falling Into Infinity).

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ZePHyRaNTHeS
I actually liked Falling Into Infinity a lot.

It has some good songs on it, but my understanding is that they were pressured into putting out a more "pop" sound album.

I like "Hollow Years", "Take Away My Pain", "Hell's Kitchen", and "Trial of Tears".

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
TOOL?!?!?!

BHAHWHHA

Is tool even metal? :confused:

I thought everything Tool put out was part of one super long, monotonic song. :confused:

/me ducks :p

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MX2times
Originally posted by: HalosPuma

Damn I miss how abrasive they were during this time also...what did happen anyway???
It's called growing up.

They aren't angst ridden teenagers anymore. You may not like their newer stuff, but they still rock more than most of the crap out there.

NightCrawler

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, something about the water in Birmingham, England.

Put Rob Halford vocals agianst Hetfields and you can see how a real singer can actually sing.

Reason why Metallica is lame when compared to Judas Priest:

1. James Hetfield is no Rob Halford
2. K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton own KIRK HAMMETT
3. Priest had 8 good albums before jumping the shark

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, something about the water in Birmingham, England.

Put Rob Halford vocals agianst Hetfields and you can see how a real singer can actually sing.

Reason why Metallica is lame when compared to metallica:

1. James Hetfield is no Rob Halford
2. K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton own KIRK HAMMETT
3. Priest had 8 good albums before jumping the shark
I like Halford's vocals, but you can't really compare them to Hetfields... totally different style. They're both very good at what they do.

Halford's incessant vibrato gets old. :p

Same thing with Hammett and whoever those people in Judas Priest are. ;) I've never heard a solo in a Judas priest song that was built like the solos in Metallica songs.. there's just nothing to compare there. It's all a matter of preference...

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Iron Maiden with Tool right behind 'em for me, the rest are distant thirds. Metallica's first 4-5 albums were masterpieces, but everything since has been so bad it balances out, making them average overall.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: redly
I vote for the Metallica that made Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets

Classic Metallica was damn good stuff. I sometimes imagine the beginning of their end being one saying to the others, "Hey guys, I have this great idea for a song about the sandman!"

ConwayJim

Dec 16, 2004
They just did this the other day on much more music. They counted down the 20 top metal bands of all time.

Anyways, I would chose Metallica, since i actually got into them at a certain point in my youth. They chose "black Sabath", and i guess i could see where they're coming from.