What is the best fast food healthwise?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Chik Fil A - Chicken strips salad with croutons and blue cheese dressing. it's maaaaaaad filling and only like 10grams of carbs total. and only 4 bucks! i get it every single day for lunch at work.

wolfsblood

Apr 15, 2001
Subway's advertisments are soemwhat misleading, read the fine print and you will see that the 5 fat gram sandwich you think you're eating is really about 14 or so after adding cheese, mayo, oil etc.

Probably the best fast food item would be a Veggie Delight from Subway without the cheese mayo and oil.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: budice
Originally posted by: DougK62
Subway.
Everything else is nasty.

Subway and blimpie are the same from what I have seen. Subway has their cuts sitting for a while and blimpie cuts it fresh. I think your opinion is flawed.

That's funny - saying that my OPINION is flawed
rolleye.gif

I don't have Blimpie in my area. However, from what I've seen they're similar to Subway. You can take "Subway" to mean "Subway and similar" - there are a lot of cold-cut sub places around.

skriefal

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
the 5 fat gram sandwich you think you're eating is really about 14 or so after adding cheese, mayo, oil etc.

Mayo? Oil? Ick! Easily fixed... get honey mustard instead. Much tastier than mayonnaise or oil, and very little fat. You need to add a few grams of fat for the cheese, of course, but the result is much less "fatty" than most fast food.

As far as Arby's is concerned, I do like the Market Fresh sandwiches. However, as vi_edit mentioned, they're not nearly as healthy as Arby's would have you believe. They do have a "Light Menu" with a few sandwiches that are much healthier, unfortunately those sandwiches also have only 230-250 calories -- hardly enough for a full meal. And since they don't really offer anything else semi-healthy to go with them... you need to avoid being tempted to order french fries or something unhealthy to accompany them!

So, I agree with the previous comments that Subway is really the only widespread fast food chain that has reasonably healthy food. You do need to be careful with other sub chains, though, since not all are as healthy as Subway. Jimmy Johns, for example... if you check the nutition facts on their website you'll find that most of their sandwiches are quite high in fat.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
OK people need to stop getting so technical, nevertheless (sp) subway is a lot healthier than your Mcd's and BK right?

so what else is there?
Quiznos is another sub place in my area (houston tx), I like them better over subway becuase they toast the bread on the spot
=)

edit
look I found this neat little chart
its probably outdated but oh well
;o
http://www.olen.com/food/

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
subway DOES rock... i like them.. i also like PITA PIT too!! :D

for those of you who are Canadian... Subway is WAY better than Mr. Sub!!! :)

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I'll pass on subway or any major fast food places. I'd rather go to this local fast food place called Uncle Louie's. It's Chicago style hotdogs, hamburgers, oh soo greasy and tasty. I'm gonna go raid the fridge now!

:D

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I've been out of control lately and have been eating those already-made sushi packs from Harris Teeter(a grocery chain for those of you who don't live around here). I say I've been "out of control" because when I pick up two of these things they cost over 11 bucks or whatever(I don't even know :eek:). I need to stay home and start cooking again. :( Or just hit BK for one of those 2-for-$2 specials.... I think a Subway around here has any 2 footlongs for 6.99 special on weekends. :)