What is the appeal of residing in the American south?

Nahtzee

Jun 1, 2011
But, really?

Just visited Texas and North Carolina. Especially when disregarding metropolitan areas (many similar attributes to Northern cities such as job sites and the like) but including agricultural/rural and suburban locations, what's the point? Nearly every other person I saw was armed (with poor concealment techniques), housing real-estate is nice but very few people utilize the extra space efficiently, lower quality of education (which results in a less-intelligent population) and general public funding, taxes on most products are higher, and many more negative aspects plague the southern hemisphere of the US. I'm not saying some of the reasons aren't apparent in other geographic locations like some areas in the midwest but these reasons are seemingly more apparent in the south.

There's also all the stereotypes that are (for the most part, true) about southerners.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It could be as simple as they like living the way they do, just like you apparently like living the way you do.

I live in the north myself but find much to like about the south and would not mind living there.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Don't forget it's too damn hot and muggy there too!

But I'd consider moving to some southern locations for the bbq and other fine calorific foods they do better than folks do around here. As soon as a miracle effortless weight loss pill that actually works is invented, I'm moving.

Nahtzee

Jun 1, 2011
Visited New Mexico last year. Other than the people, I'd love to live there.

That's mostly the point.

The population is atrocious and nothing more than a consumerism battery for the nation.

They're like that socially awkward and uneducated cousin of whom you bare but internally scold

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
We have a big house in Virginia, I refuse to visit home any season other than Winter. The summers are too hot and the bugs are huge!

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Just out of curiosity, and assuming that you're not being a complete troll, what cities did you happen to visit? I've lived in Texas all my life and have not once seen a random joe on the street open-carrying.

Maybe you should also look a little more into Texas universities before spouting off about our 'low quality of education'. ;)

Nahtzee

Jun 1, 2011
Just out of curiosity, and assuming that you're not being a complete troll, what cities did you happen to visit? I've lived in Texas all my life and have not once seen a random joe on the street open-carrying.

Maybe you should also look a little more into Texas universities before spouting off about our 'low quality of education'. ;)

Texas universities are shit compared to notable Northern universities for the vast majority of programs.

Also, never once did I mention "open-carry". I said that to the barely-trained eye, many people are poorly carrying and concealing firearms

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Hot blondes. They are way too rare up here in New England. They are a dime a dozen down there.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Texas universities are shit compared to notable Northern universities for the vast majority of programs.

Also, never once did I mention "open-carry". I said that to the barely-trained eye, many people are poorly carrying and concealing firearms

My degree from my shit Texas University managed to land me a job right after graduation with a more than generous salary :confused:

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
But, really?

Just visited Texas and North Carolina. Especially when disregarding metropolitan areas (many similar attributes to Northern cities such as job sites and the like) but including agricultural/rural and suburban locations, what's the point? Nearly every other person I saw was armed (with poor concealment techniques), housing real-estate is nice but very few people utilize the extra space efficiently, lower quality of education (which results in a less-intelligent population) and general public funding, taxes on most products are higher, and many more negative aspects plague the southern hemisphere of the US. I'm not saying some of the reasons aren't apparent in other geographic locations like some areas in the midwest but these reasons are seemingly more apparent in the south.

There's also all the stereotypes that are (for the most part, true) about southerners.

Lol..

You must have been in BFE Texas, as none of which you say is true of Houston Dallas or San Antonio.
All are meccas for highly intelligent Engineers and oil businesses and tech firms.
We actually have more Yankees down here than true Texans these days.
The allure of high pay, good economy, very low unemployment rate, and lower cost of living and nice weather year round is a huge attraction.

Our Colleges down here are always rated very very high.

Texas
Rice
UofH
Texas A&M
LSU
and the list goes on and on.. great schools and highly respected.

oh and the right to carry laws are perfect...
and yes a large portion of us do carry here 24/7

But nice flame bait thread..

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

LOL

How long were you in Texas? Pretty sure didn't even come across .00001% of the population, so you ill informed opinion is worthless.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Don't forget about the beautiful Texan women. I go to Texas a couple times per year touring with a band. I love it there, if only for that reason.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
BTW why hasn't the OP received a mandatory name change..

Nahtzee not a very disguised attempt to use Nazi..

Pure Flame bait thread and user name to match.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the only thing I don't like about home (NC) is the humidity.

Where I'm from, the schools are as good as anywhere else in the nation, the women are certainly hotter than anywhere else I've lived and have visited (save for the plastic barbies of SoCal, but they don't count, anyway), it's far cheaper, the people are far more polite, there is plenty of nature in most places--which you don't find as often in the major northern metro areas--etc etc.

basically....OP = tool.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
a l-o-n-g term view...

jobs that eventually get repatriated to US from China, India, etc. will TEND to go to the US South, where labor costs are better. Obviously, anybody would see that will AVOID the famously ultra-corrupt places like Louisanna, and Georgia, etc. Florida too. Shitholes forever.

I expect some areas, e.g.; Louisanna where the corruption, clannishniss and did I mention corruption? are so over the top...maybe Georgia too, will NOT be favored with the future repatriation of some jobs. Places less unionized. less old-boy-networked by gin-breathed bozoz, will. Say out in what PRESENTLY is the remote countryside, but in future will become the NEW meccas of jobs.

This WON'T happen soom (i'e during Obama then followed by Hillary the devil incarnate), but later on. I'm envisioning down the timeline, say a generation or three in future.

someday when this ultra-phony "country western" music is forgotten like a mcdonald's commercial

I really had to fight through the grammar and spelling on this one.

Wat.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
But, really?

Lower quality of education? Really?

Association of American Universities members:

Duke
Georgia Tech
Rice
Texas A+M
Tulane
University of Florida
Missouri
North Carolina
University of Texas
Vanderbilt

Taxes are higher? Really?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...28/state-taxes-states-highest-lowest/1654071/

Now, if you are talking about the freaking heat and humidity of summer in the South, yup, you are right on. Freaking unbelieable hot and humid.

Last edited: