What is the appeal of residing in the American south?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
You have shitty weather for huge stretches of the year. Stop lying.

what is your defintion of "shitty" not the same as mine for sure..
I love Summers down here.. and I love 80 degree Xmas Days..

You like it too cold.. awesome stay up north..
I refuse to live anywhere it gets below 30 degrees for any amount of extended time..

My idea of gorgeous weather is a 100 degree day of cloudless skies.

perfect pool days or days to go fly.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
That's mostly the point.

The population is atrocious and nothing more than a consumerism battery for the nation.

They're like that socially awkward and uneducated cousin of whom you bare but internally scold

beneficiary of centuries of internal mercantile policy complains about results of those policies but blames the people who've been damaged by the policies. film at 11.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Why would anyone choose to live up north?
Your school are filled with gansta wannabees that keep killing each other. Your housing market is atrocious, how can anyone afford to own a house? The cost of living is just as bad, everything costs way too much. Then in case anyone has any spare money they put a state income tax on you. I guess that is to pay for all the gansta wannabe's baby mama's after they get kicked out of school for killing someone.
I'm not saying that we don't have some of these problems in the south, but add to that all the negative stereotypes about northerners (almost all of which are true) and I don't know why anyone would want to live there.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
a l-o-n-g term view...

Jobs that eventually get repatriated to US from China, India, etc. will TEND to go to the US South, where labor costs are lower. Obviously, anybody in the future repatriation will AVOID the famously ultra-corrupt places like Louisanna, and Georgia, etc. Florida too. Shitholes forever, where the corruption, clannishness and did I mention corruption? are so over the top . . . no reasonable person would place business there.

Locations that are less unionized, less old-boy-networked by gin-breathed redneck bozos, will. Say places located out in what PRESENTLY is the remote countryside, but in future will become the NEW meccas of jobs.

This WON'T happen soon (i'e during Obama then followed by Hillary the devil incarnate), but later on. I'm envisioning down the timeline, say a generation or three in future,

... someday when this ultra-phony "country western" music is forgotten like a mcdonald's commercial

Spoken like one of those under-educated people the OP was speaking of.
But oh wait..
"USA Left Coast" that would be Cali. with all the pot smoking hippies..

Not to mention 100% incorrect in pretty much everything said. Jobs are already bustling down here due to Oil and technology.

Very very low unemployment rate due to growth down here instead of regression like the rest of the USA.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
This is about as dick a thread as I've seen on ATOT. Blatant douche troll.

You and Steeplerot should get together for an elitist frat party.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
what is your defintion of "shitty" not the same as mine for sure..
I love Summers down here.. and I love 80 degree Xmas Days..

You like it too cold.. awesome stay up north..
I refuse to live anywhere it gets below 30 degrees for any amount of extended time..

My idea of gorgeous weather is a 100 degree day of cloudless skies.

perfect pool days or days to go fly.

The north sucks, weather-wise. It should never freeze where people live. Humans aren't meant to live in freezing places. I don't live in the north.

The extreme heat has denatured proteins in your brain. 100 degrees being perfect shows you have unsound ideas on the subject of weather. :colbert:

kache

Nov 10, 2012
Cold and dark for me. I hope in the future to go live in Norway or Sweden (or maybe Canada).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There is no appeal to living in the South. Luckily, you are so much smarter than are we, so you know to stay away. Seriously, don't even visit; close proximity to us can only degrade your obviously world-class brain and you might end up so stupid that you actually move down here.

Be sure and warn your friends, too. I recommend the Jersey shore. Or Philadelphia. Or Chicago. Or Detroit. Really, anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
While a few points a valid, I do not believe the fact people in the south are armed is a negative trait.

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
But oh wait..

Not to mention 100% incorrect in pretty much everything said. Jobs are already bustling down here due to Oil and technology.

Very very low unemployment rate due to growth down here instead of regression like the rest of the USA.

was it my dissing of Georgia or dissing of gin that
raked your attitude,

y'all???

I'm envisioning PAST the present, to a future when at least some of the manufacturing and software engineering jobs now outsourced to India, China, Dominican Republic, Mexico, etc. will flow back home (repatriation) to US. This is over & above the PRESENT job base which you refer to in the god-awful deep south. SOME FUTURE DAY

Your post is defending, but there was no attack, so you made a mistake. Exactly as expected from a backwards deep-south person.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Lower quality of education? Really?

Association of American Universities members:

Duke
Georgia Tech
Rice
Texas A+M
Tulane
University of Florida
Missouri
North Carolina
University of Texas
Vanderbilt

The south occupies most of the list for worst public education (elementary - high school)

WORST: Bottom 15 (Hmmm--no northern states, all southeastern and southwestern states)
51. Nevada
50. New Mexico
49. Mississippi
48. Arizona
47. Louisiana
46. West Virginia
45. ARkansas
44. Tennessee
43. Alabama
42. California
Next five: TX, OK, SC, KY, AK

Also, for every good southern university, there are better in the northeast and west. The best colleges are on the West coast or the Northeast.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The south occupies most of the list for worst public education (elementary - high school)

Also, for every good southern university, there are better in the northeast and west. The best colleges are on the West coast or the Northeast.

The original message that was supposed to get across is that the south does not have shit universities. That's just straight trolling to believe so.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
But oh wait..

Oil, an industry with an expiration date on it.

Technology? What tech? Texas has some, and maybe Florida, but we're not really talking industry leads here. There are some startups, but those are everywhere.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The original message that was supposed to get across is that the south does not have shit universities. That's just straight trolling to believe so.

There are less options in the south then other areas of the US. A lot of those colleges listed are decent, but not stellar.

Also, education doesn't just = university. A lot of the population doesn't even go to college.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been a bit annoyed with the weather lately. At least up north, when it gets cold, it stays cold. Down here, it's in the 40s one day and the high 60s the next day! Ugh, I have to keep folding my blanket back on my bed every other day! :|

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about their funny words down here. A toboggan is not a hat; it's a specific kind of sled. A shopping cart is not called a buggy, which is an open carriage that's pulled by a horse. Oh, and people around here can't drive properly.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I've been a bit annoyed with the weather lately. At least up north, when it gets cold, it stays cold. Down here, it's in the 40s one day and the high 60s the next day! Ugh, I have to keep folding my blanket back on my bed every other day! :|

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about their funny words down here. A toboggan is not a hat; it's a specific kind of sled. A shopping cart is not called a buggy, which is an open carriage that's pulled by a horse. Oh, and people around here can't drive properly.

I think that is everywhere, haha

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think that is everywhere, haha

Every time this topic comes up, which is just about every time I go out driving, I wonder if I just have my rose-colored glasses on when I think about driving in (north-east) Pennsylvania and (southern tier) New York, but every time I visit those areas, I don't really run into any problems. Sure, you'll encounter a slow person every now and again, but it's not nearly as bad.

I think the issue here is that you don't have a wide array of drivers. People are either way too cautious or way too aggressive. Earlier today, I saw two people make an illegal u-turn when the light was red. Honestly, I have no idea why they did it, but I think the one car might have been an unmarked cop car as it had blue (i.e. municipal) plates.

It was much easier when I just gave up trying to understand people around here. :p Be obsessed with college football, grits, sweet tea, and frying every goddamn thing in existence, and I'll sit here... not... doing that.

EDIT:

Oh, and if you're an "evil commie librul", you'll love seeing Fox News on every single TV. :p

Oct 9, 1999
lived in the south 27 years.

it's hot, and damn it's humid.
lots of rednecks/cowboys/hicks
no yankees(this is a good thing)
the food kicks ass
people are SO much nicer down here, most yanks i've met are complete dick holes

and the best thing, the women.

southern women will always be the best, period.

Oct 9, 1999

the weather sure is sucking this year. 80 degrees in december, wtf.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
My experience:

South:
Awesome food, lower cost of living, nicer people on average
Coasts:
Bland food, highest cost of living, two faced people who only care about money, terrible traffic
Midwest:
South + boring

The biggest draw for me is that the cost of living is much less. You can live much better in the Midwest/South than you can anywhere else. I don't see how this isn't an immediate draw for people. Its far more comfortable than places like California with their absurd cost of living.

I've lived in the "North" most of my life, Texas for the last 6 years, and now I'm moving back North. I spent my last summer in San Francisco which was certainly an experience - the city was my least favorite place I've ever been too. I'll be moving to Seattle soon.

Beyond objective things like expenses and weather, there isn't a better place than any other. Every state has shitty places and people. If you've only visited an area, you really can't say shit. If you've lived somewhere for at least a few months, then you can bitch all you want.

Also, the "North" contains places like Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota - all are extremely cheap places to live. I assume by the "North" most people mean the Coasts... People should be more clear.

Last edited:

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Its a continuous cycle of ignorance. People grow up there and learn to think and be like those around them, too poor or too brainwashed to want to leave. So they stay there and make the best of it, perpetuating the South's pride to be from the South. American's in the South are arrogant and are very proud to be who they are and where they are from. Really, that goes for all American's but the South is the worst and Texas is the worst of that bunch. Texas is the be all and end all. Texas is the best. They are even so arrogant as to name their team "The Texans" when a vote was cast to name Houston's new team when it started in 2002. The populous in Houston could have picked anything, and they decided that the "Houston Texans" would be the best choice. Why? Because they are arrogant assholes and nothing could be better and more flattering than being a Texan.