What is it??????

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Hello.

My new/old system I got for excellent money on eBay arrived a day early.....before the DVI cable I also bought on eBay arrived.

I am already spiraling into madness, cause all I can do is look at everything in the box, as we know i7 chips do not understand or deal with VGA connectivity on their own; no DVI cable yet, so I can not TEST THE SYSTEM FOR REAL.

I know I am the only human on this site for whom this is true (betcha), but this is the first system I have ever had not using only integrated video.....like the one I am on right now. (And I adore this system, it's just not fast enough now) That is why I had no DVI cable, nor, would I give the $40 dollars across the street at Staples for one.

So, this graphics card, here is a link to it....
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_item...3Y14F&rid=88&gclid=CJyJm7HWv7kCFcyZ4AodH0EAxg

...... I assumed going in would not support dual monitors, tho I do not need that, has a port like opening beside the DVI port. At first, I was like "O! HDMI, yay!!!!!" But then, none of my HDMI cables would fit into it.

So I took a pic of it and will put it below. Seriously, WHAT IS THAT?

Heartfelt thanks in advance for this info!!!

x4og9h.jpg

Last edited:

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
It's a displayport.

I assumed that....but WHAT KIND? It's not HDMI, unless I was not pushing hard enough.

Last edited:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I assumed that....but WHAT KIND? It's not HDMI, unless I was not pushing hard enough.

Lol. The port itself is called Displayport. It's a type of video interface like HDMI only different. You can read all about it here .

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Lol. The port itself is called Displayport. It's a type of video interface like HDMI only different. You can read all about it here .

Thank you, I already learned via a search after you posted. Next question: which is the better connectivity, display or DVI?

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Thank you, I already learned via a search after you posted. Next question: which is the better connectivity, display or DVI?

depends

displayport is the newer standard, and would support more stuff (like chaining multiple displays together), but DVI is more common and cheaper still, and you can still get up to 2400p support for dual-link

if it's under 1080p, then DVI is probably easier to deal with

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
depends

displayport is the newer standard, and would support more stuff (like chaining multiple displays together), but DVI is more common and cheaper still, and you can still get up to 2400p support for dual-link

Thank you!!! You have informed my decision totally!!!! I am stickin with DVI():)