What is going on? Im reading WAY too many people with idle freeze problems with 1st gen Ryzens

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I have a 2600X on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi mobo, Gskill TridentZ RGB ddr4 3600 for quite some time now and it's rock solid

I would say that 1st gen did have a few issues, specially some combos that didnt work so well but most problems have generally been addressed. Check your bios, memory settings and manufacturer, etc

Oct 19, 2006
I have two Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 Motherboards and had terrible Freezing and BSOD problems because of my memory. The first board I bought when Ryzen 1 first came out and did not bother to buy "compatible" memory because prices were so high at the time. The board would not run my memory at it's rated 3000Mhz. I had to settle for loose 2T timings at 2333Mhz. Then after 6 months of bios updates, the board was finally able to run the memory at it's rated speed.

A year later I upgraded to a 2600X and gave my Dad the 1500x I was using. Once again I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 and some cheap memory because, you know, it's just for dad. Even with over a years worth of bios updates I could not get this memory to run at the rated speed. BSOD, freezes after sitting at idle for hours or minutes, didn't matter. I thought it was the video card because it was so old (Radeon 4850) but after dropping the memory speed to 2333Mhz all the problems went away and that exactly where I left it because you know, it's just for dad.

Moral of the story, drop the memory speed way, way back and test again.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have two Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 Motherboards and had terrible Freezing and BSOD problems because of my memory. The first board I bought when Ryzen 1 first came out and did not bother to buy "compatible" memory because prices were so high at the time. The board would not run my memory at it's rated 3000Mhz. I had to settle for loose 2T timings at 2333Mhz. Then after 6 months of bios updates, the board was finally able to run the memory at it's rated speed.

A year later I upgraded to a 2600X and gave my Dad the 1500x I was using. Once again I bought a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 and some cheap memory because, you know, it's just for dad. Even with over a years worth of bios updates I could not get this memory to run at the rated speed. BSOD, freezes after sitting at idle for hours or minutes, didn't matter. I thought it was the video card because it was so old (Radeon 4850) but after dropping the memory speed to 2333Mhz all the problems went away and that exactly where I left it because you know, it's just for dad.

Moral of the story, drop the memory speed way, way back and test again.
I say the moral is buy compatible memory, even ifs a little spendy.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
When I had a 1700 in my Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3, it had some issues running higher speeds of RAM with the patriot viper 3200MHz I got from Frys. It would occasionally default to 2133 or not post at cold boot. No errors in memtest though. Later I put in a 1600X and Gskill Trident Z in the board and it would run the profile fine with that RAM and chip.

I will say I like the B350M gaming 3, it currently is running the 1600X with the patriot at 2933MHz. It was about $100 at launch, so a decent budget board. Though now I am using a X470 Taichi with a 2700X and the gskill trident Z.

What to take away from this? Try testing your memory profiles, as well as different speeds and BIOS revisions.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Thought we all knew there are defective ryzen first gen that are getting warranty replacements with working batch. How are they so bulletproof to say its user error .. test them with the known bug I'd be interested ti see if it passes it not

Reactions: Ranulf

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Well i sold my 1700 a few weeks ago for economics reasons, but i was having that problem that MANY people seen to be having lately and i got a 2200G as replacement and i dint got that problem since.

It happens like this: When the pc is on idle or very low load, it just freezes whiout blue screens or anything, you may be web browsing, hearing music or just starting up the computer. But it dosent happen with load, ever, that was the problem i was having with my 1700, i could leave a game open 10 hours, close it, go to te bathroom and when i return the pc dosent respond anymore and i had to reset.

What has me worried that is problem is awfully similar to what happens when you are trying OC with Ryzen Master and the vcore is just a bit low. I know of 3 other people outside this forum with this issue, and ive read a few others over the internet, they all have a 1st gen Ryzen, a few people on this forum mentioned instability in another thread as well.

Some people are blaming Windows 10 Updates but why is affecting 1st gen Ryzen this much? The best i can think off right now is to recomend change power plan to high performance to avoid CPU going intro the low states, im awaiting results.

I thought I posted the solution on this forum 2 years ago. I had this problem and it took me 4 months to fix it.

It's a bios problem usually with AsRock boards (could be others too but in my experience AsRock for sure) ..

Basically the problem is that by default the VSOC voltage is set to 0.90 but if you put it at 1.0 or higher, problem solved, NO CRASHES EVER due to that problem. Some boards only have offsets, not full manual, so you might have to settle for 0.065 increments till it comes in the right range.

Edit: Do not go higher than 1.1v. (1.0 - 1.1 VSOC is the sweet spot)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just ordered another few Ryzen R5 1600 CPUs, hopefully they're new enough not to have the "Ryzen bug". I think that my first batch (early adopter) has them.

Of course, I also ordered some "refurb open-box" (yes, open-box, on top of refurb) X370 mobos off of Newegg, really cheap, under $50 ea. Kind of hoping that they're not too dysfunctional, and perhaps, only returned because someone tried to boot a 2nd-Gen Ryzen on them, and couldn't, because they needed to flash the BIOS.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just ordered another few Ryzen R5 1600 CPUs, hopefully they're new enough not to have the "Ryzen bug". I think that my first batch (early adopter) has them.

Of course, I also ordered some "refurb open-box" (yes, open-box, on top of refurb) X370 mobos off of Newegg, really cheap, under $50 ea. Kind of hoping that they're not too dysfunctional, and perhaps, only returned because someone tried to boot a 2nd-Gen Ryzen on them, and couldn't, because they needed to flash the BIOS.
I don't see any 370 refurb's below $75 on newegg.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I don't see any 370 refurb's below $75 on newegg.

That's because refurb and open-box items are first-come first-served and limited quantity. It's likely they just had 1 of each that Larry bought.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's because refurb and open-box items are first-come first-served and limited quantity. It's likely they just had 1 of each that Larry bought.
Yea, I know. I just saw that the cheapest am4 refurbs were b350 motherboards for $55 and up, so I found it hard to believe that 370 boards would be less than that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I've been lucky, twice so far. Some Gigabyte refurb X370 boards, showing up for $49.99 and under. Got two AX370-Gaming ATX boards for $42.99, and one Gaming 5 for $49.99. (U.2 port!)

Cross my fingers, hope they aren't defective in some way. At least, they're not LGA, so "bad pins" generally isn't an issue with AMD boards. :)

Edit: Of course, out of the first two AX370-Gaming ATX boards I bought, one has the primary PCI-E x16 slot die on me a month later, just outside return window. Hmm. Oh well, cheap enough to buy some more!

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
They may have thermal paste inside the socket contacts, but other than that the socket should be fine.

The AX370-Gaming 5 is a nice board, its the only one with more VRMs than all others and have a heat sink on both the CPU and SOC VRMs.

AB350-Gaming-Gaming 3, AX370-Gaming-Gaming 3 are all the same thing, feature more, feature less.

Last edited:

bsp2020

Dec 29, 2015
I have GigaByte AB350M-D3H (rev. 1.0) and I have to disable Global C state control in BIOS. Otherwise, it would randomly lock up when I leave it on over night. I have RMAed my 1800X due to segfault problem so I know that my CPU is a good one in terms of segfault problem that plagued early Ryzen processors.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I would recomend everyone with a Gigabyte board to check VSOC... im discovering that on AUTO they tend to overvolt SOC too much just by using XMP profile. And by too much i mean peaks over 1.3v.

Reactions: coercitiv

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
I would recomend everyone with a Gigabyte board to check VSOC... im discovering that on AUTO they tend to overvolt SOC too much just by using XMP profile. And by too much i mean peaks over 1.3v.

Gigabyte really dropped the ball with their AM4 boards relative to the competition, at least with the 300 series... Even so, the SOC part is fragile, and that's a ridiculous overvolt that can cause permanent damage... WTF gigabyte?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
UH-OH!

That doe explain why my Team Vulcan 2x8GB DDR4-3000 RAM, that wouldn't even stabilize (one kit) in my ASRock AB350M Pro4 board, at 3000 (ASRock runs Vsoc at 0.9V, and until recently, there was no BIOS option to tweak it), but that same RAM (two kits, even!), runs beautifully at XMP (DDR4-3000) settings, without ANY fuss at all.

Pumping Vsoc to 1.3V, might just do that. Gotta check, THANKS!

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Maybe it's already been mentioned but the 300 series was rushed to the market and more than likely did not get tested as well as it should a have. This would be or could be the reason for any bugs, freezes, BSOD that may occur.

Saying that there is really no reason not to simply buy the 400 series. Even if your going to drop a first gen Zen into it. I'm betting the 400 series has crunched some bugs and had more development time. Anybody having problems with the 400 series?

Val_

Nov 24, 2012
I thought I posted the solution on this forum 2 years ago. I had this problem and it took me 4 months to fix it.

It's a bios problem usually with AsRock boards (could be others too but in my experience AsRock for sure) ..

Basically the problem is that by default the VSOC voltage is set to 0.90 but if you put it at 1.0 or higher, problem solved, NO CRASHES EVER due to that problem. Some boards only have offsets, not full manual, so you might have to settle for 0.065 increments till it comes in the right range.

Edit: Do not go higher than 1.1v. (1.0 - 1.1 VSOC is the sweet spot)

Hi,

Unfortunately, increasing the SOC voltage does not seem to prevent the idle freezes for me. I had to increase it anyway since I finally decided to set my RAM frequency, timings and voltage instead of staying on the default values.

Do you by any chance also have the Asrock X370 Taichi? I would really like to discuss this with other users of this board, even though I’ve already read many things about the freeze issue.

I’m on BIOS 5.10 and after doing those changes :
- XMP timings
- DDR4-2666
- SOC voltage : 1.01875 V
- DRAM voltage : 1.300 V,
- everything else on default/auto settings

the computer still froze after about 6 days (used every day for many hours, and in those six days, it had sometimes been idle for a long time without freezing ! And I turned it off at night.). When I tested the RAM with memtest, I had no errors

Because of the freeze I had yesterday, I decided to again use "Power Supply Idle Control" > "Typical Current Idle", which is really the only thing that has worked for me so far. I know that it prevents the freezes for many other people, too. And because this option affects the VCore and not the SOC voltage, I don’t think that raising the SOC voltage could really be the solution. Maybe it really worked for you, but it doesn’t for everyone ? I’m thinking more and more that this freezing issue could actually be several different issues that are mixed up in discussions.

The good news is that I’ve read that the latest updates for many boards, which is BIOS 5.50 for the X370 Taichi, finally solve the freezes. Unfortunately, this BIOS for the Taichi also introduces a nasty new bug : if my understanding is correct, if you select CPU for the fan control source, it now monitors the Tdie, which varies a lot, instead of the CPU sensor on the mainboard. I think I’m going to wait before update the BIOS

I don’t know for sure, but I’ve also read that for the freezes to be completely solved on Linux, you also need a kernel version > 4.18 in addition to the lastest BIOSes.

Val_

Nov 24, 2012
Anybody having problems with the 400 series?

I’ve also seen people with freezes on Ryzen 2000 and B450/X470, also solvable with "Power Supply Idle Control" > "Typical Current Idle" or the latest BIOS updates

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
I'm using my Computer for mining NIMIQ.fully stable for over 10 days.if I set too much UV on my CPU/GPU.I get BSOD/Freezes.you can check my Rig.

Val_

Nov 24, 2012
I'm using my Computer for mining NIMIQ.fully stable for over 10 days.if I set too much UV on my CPU/GPU.I get BSOD/Freezes.you can check my Rig.

It’s a different kind of freeze, then :) Those freezes when idle or on low load (also) happen with every BIOS setting on auto/default

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
My launch R7 1700 and GA-AB350 Gaming 3 is / was great, never had an issue after tweaking and testing. The early BIOS / RAM compatibility was frustrating, but, even that got worked out with time.

The R7 1700 I did RMA for segfault, but have not had the time to setup and test the system again.

*I never used or will use the Ryzen Balanced Plan, I always set Power Plan to High Performance and tweak CPU Min Max clocks as 5% and 100%* <- Never had an issue with any Ryzen system doing this.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Glad I read this thread.

I have the same random lock ups on idle.

Early gen Ryzen 1700
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
RAM - can't remember. It's something that can do 3200 in theory but I generally leave it at default (2133?).

How can I determine if my CPU had the segfault thing?

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
...Do you by any chance also have the Asrock X370 Taichi? I would really like to discuss this with other users of this board, even though I’ve already read many things about the freeze issue...
This probably isn't much help, but I have an X370 Taichi with an 1800X that I bought shortly after they were released, and have had no problems. I'm also on BIOS 5.10, and have 2x16GB of DDR4-2400 ECC RAM overclocked to 2933MHz, with everything else at default.

Windows says it's been running for 2 weeks now, but it has gone as long as a month between reboots before, spending about half the time in S3 sleep, and much of the rest of the time at or near idle.