What is actually covered by tire warranty?

alexsuv

Jun 23, 2022
I purchased 4 tires at Wheel Works with the road hazard warranty included for my AWD car. One tire got punctured and is not repairable. The sales guy said that the warranty covers only one tire which is damaged so since i have to replace all 4 tires the three of them are not covered, so I need to pay pay full price for the three of them and the 4th tire goes at a discounted price based on the pro-rated wear.
The way i understand it is when i purchase the set of 4 tires the warranty applies to the entire set (because all 4 tires have to be replaced at once for the AWD). The Wheel Works warranty manual documentation online is confusing and does not answer this. Anyone can clarify that please?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I've never heard of that retailer but usually the warranty only applies to a single tire in the scenario you describe.

Reactions: alexsuv

alexsuv

Jun 23, 2022
Interesting thing is when i got a similar puncture 4 years ago at the same place (Wheel Works), the service guy replaced all four tires since they said one bad tire means all 4 tires are to be replaced. I was impressed and decided to stick to this business.
However today this guy told me that it should not have been done then.

I still do not see how this logic makes sense: if the tire set gets damaged, then how come only the 1/4th of that set is covered. I purchase the tire set, not 4 individual tires.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Normally, the warranty covers one tire. (In MOST cases, you actually individual warranties for each tire, not a group warranty)

alexsuv

Jun 23, 2022
Ok, I got it, I am not arguing here, just ranting a bit.

Here is an analogy: I buy a TV covered by a warranty and then one part goes bad. The manufacturer tells me: yes since we cannot replace one broken part, we need to replace the entire TV set for you. However you pay for the entire TV set again, except for that broken part.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
You can have a new tire shaved down to match the other 3 older tires, they should be offering that.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
How much wear is on the set? You may have to sacrifice the warranty on the other tires, but at this point you don't really end up losing, if you waive all your rights to claims and damages to the car and they only replace the single tire.

Realistically, the minute difference in circumference between the new tire and a lightly worn tire will not probably affect your transfer case or differential, the tire companies simply want to force you to replace entire sets.

Might also want a second opinion on the repair. Most tire places will only patch a puncture, which means it has to be far enough from the sidewall to be patched internally, however you can often still plug the tire (you just have to go to the right place).

This is why I don't generally buy tire warranties - it's a racket since they still make money on the replacement of a pair or complete set

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Ok, I got it, I am not arguing here, just ranting a bit.

Here is an analogy: I buy a TV covered by a warranty and then one part goes bad. The manufacturer tells me: yes since we cannot replace one broken part, we need to replace the entire TV set for you. However you pay for the entire TV set again, except for that broken part.

If the broken part can't be replaced, then, yes, they'll replace the entire tv, but if a single component goes bad, they'll USUALLY replace just that one component.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So I will share my experience with Tire Rack Road Hazzard Warrenty.

I ended up hitting a very bad pot hole.
The damage was totally located on sidewall, it ripped the sidewall to be exact.

20220210_175833.jpg20220210_165951.jpg

So i went to tire rack, it redirected me to the warrenty service company.
They wanted installation receipt on the original that i had it done at a tire store.
Then they wanted the receipt on the replacement tire i ordered.
Then finally they wanted a receipt on the replacement installation on the new tire.

I submitted and filed my claim.
The tire was only 6 months old.
I requested the full price of the tire.
I was approved the full price of the tire only.... so i ended up having to pay the tax, and reinstall.
They did not ask for treadware, i guess 6 months they figured it was still a new tire.
They did not ask for me to mail the old tire back.
All they wanted was the pictures to show actual road hazzard damage.

But those are 478 dollar tires, so i was happy to get 478 dollars back mailed in a check in 2 weeks.

I really have nothing but praise on tire racks warrenty.
I really thought it would not pay out, but they did.
I still had to pay the tax twice, and install twice, but the bulk of the tire cost was reimbursed.

Offtopic: Im an idiot for getting 21 inch low profile tires in Los Angeles.
Its seriously a massocistic thing to do with how much pot holes we have.

The way i understand it is when i purchase the set of 4 tires the warranty applies to the entire set (because all 4 tires have to be replaced at once for the AWD). The Wheel Works warranty manual documentation online is confusing and does not answer this. Anyone can clarify that please?

if you paid warrenty on all 4 tires, and all 4 tires have damage, they will replace all 4.
However if only 1 has damage, they will only replace the 1, even in practice you require all 4 to be replaced.
I asked the CS about this too, because my other last instance, i needed 1 replaced, but it would offset my car, and when i gun it, my car would drift to one side. (I have a P100D, so the tire treads needs to be as even as possible).

So no, unless you have damage done on all 4 tires from road hazzard, they will only replace / refund you on the damaged tire and not all 4, even if its a safety reason that you require 4 replaced.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
So I will share my experience with Tire Rack Road Hazzard Warrenty.

I ended up hitting a very bad pot hole.
The damage was totally located on sidewall, it ripped the sidewall to be exact.

View attachment 64063View attachment 64061

So i went to tire rack, it redirected me to the warrenty service company.
They wanted installation receipt on the original that i had it done at a tire store.
Then they wanted the receipt on the replacement tire i ordered.
Then finally they wanted a receipt on the replacement installation on the new tire.

I submitted and filed my claim.
The tire was only 6 months old.
I requested the full price of the tire.
I was approved the full price of the tire only.... so i ended up having to pay the tax, and reinstall.
They did not ask for treadware, i guess 6 months they figured it was still a new tire.
They did not ask for me to mail the old tire back.
All they wanted was the pictures to show actual road hazzard damage.

But those are 478 dollar tires, so i was happy to get 478 dollars back mailed in a check in 2 weeks.

I really have nothing but praise on tire racks warrenty.
I really thought it would not pay out, but they did.
I still had to pay the tax twice, and install twice, but the bulk of the tire cost was reimbursed.

Offtopic: Im an idiot for getting 21 inch low profile tires in Los Angeles.
Its seriously a massocistic thing to do with how much pot holes we have.

if you paid warrenty on all 4 tires, and all 4 tires have damage, they will replace all 4.
However if only 1 has damage, they will only replace the 1, even in practice you require all 4 to be replaced.
I asked the CS about this too, because my other last instance, i needed 1 replaced, but it would offset my car, and when i gun it, my car would drift to one side. (I have a P100D, so the tire treads needs to be as even as possible).

So no, unless you have damage done on all 4 tires from road hazzard, they will only replace / refund you on the damaged tire and not all 4, even if its a safety reason that you require 4 replaced.
Jesus christ a $500 tire? Why? How?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Last edited: