What if you never had to worry about rent or food?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So you are saying they are going to replace ~400 million cars overnight?

yup. Thats exactly what I have been saying all along. 400 million cars will be replaced over night and all professional drivers will be rounded up and placed in gayafication camps. Get ready, glorious leader has something for you ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yup. Thats exactly what I have been saying all along. 400 million cars will be replaced over night and all professional drivers will be rounded up and placed in gayafication camps. Get ready, glorious leader has something for you ;)

Well, whatever happens the next day I'm sure it will be fabulous!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It suffers from the same problems that plague AI's. You aren't thinking. Making an ultra-conservative never-break-the-law AI is easy. Giving the AI judgement is completely different.

For example if I'm on the highway and run up on completely stopped traffic around a corner I double tap my brakes as a signal to everyone behind me that traffic is at a standstill around the bend.

I start braking hard before I crest the visibility cutoff around the corner so people can see my back end coming to a stop before I'm out of sight. I don't want to get rear ended at 65mph. I don't care if "I'm in the right of way" if I get my back thrown out of whack for life from such a crash. The google car gets rear ended at a rate twice that of normal drivers because it fails to negotiate with other drivers. Really its a nuisance on the road that only gets to its destination because of the human drivers being nice to it. Its not actually keeping pace with traffic flow.

AI is a concept that has failed over and over and over. The type of computing and programming logic that we use simply isn't suited to AI. The data processing speed is there, and the memory and storage are there. But the way logic is handled in the digital vs biological world is too different. AI actually needs to be more judgmental based on past experience. Which is a dicey proposition when a large group of people is involved. The current group think is how you end up with the ultra-conservative AI to begin with.

Is there really going to be "That truck is swerving in his lane like he is tired fuck that guy I'm moving 1 lane over" subroutine? What about "be ready incase the douche in the BMW changes lanes without a signal" routine. What about a poor person whose car looks like it shouldn't be on the highway?

These are untenable situations for a group project.

You have the worst examples. Double tapping your brake to tell the people behind you that traffic happening? What if it's some dumbass on their phone who looks up momentarily to see your "taps" and assume you're braking fully, slams on his brakes, and causes a pileup behind him?

Your examples all assume that human drivers are as attentive and intelligent as computers. That is so far from the truth.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if there is one thing we have learned its that humans dont want to drive. We want to get drunk, watch cat videos and shit post on the internet.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if there is one thing we have learned its that humans dont want to drive. We want to get drunk, watch cat videos and shit post on the internet.

That's the great thing about driving. It doesn't require any thought, so you can do all of those things while driving...

;)

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Driving is definitely an art. NOBODY follows the law. 4 way stop - there are no rules. Traffic circles - people make up their own rules. Make a left turn from the straight-only lane? Sure, why not. Driverless cars would probably work great in areas with little or no traffic (long haul trucking), but I can't imagine a car driving itself in dense city traffic. How does one program a car to slowly change lanes in a "get the fuck out of my way or I'm going to hit you" fashion? That's how lane changing works in the city. If you wait for a space, you'll never be able to change lanes. The driver needs to create that space.

I like the idea of these Google cars driving exactly the speed limit. We should put millions of these cars on the road and completely fuck up the flow of traffic. Maybe that would be the kick needed to abandon our ridiculously stupid speed limits.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Driving is definitely an art. NOBODY follows the law. 4 way stop - there are no rules. Traffic circles - people make up their own rules. Make a left turn from the straight-only lane? Sure, why not. Driverless cars would probably work great in areas with little or no traffic (long haul trucking), but I can't imagine a car driving itself in dense city traffic. How does one program a car to slowly change lanes in a "get the fuck out of my way or I'm going to hit you" fashion? That's how lane changing works in the city. If you wait for a space, you'll never be able to change lanes. The driver needs to create that space.

I like the idea of these Google cars driving exactly the speed limit. We should put millions of these cars on the road and completely fuck up the flow of traffic. Maybe that would be the kick needed to abandon our ridiculously stupid speed limits.

So again, the problem with self driving cars isn't the self driving cars, it's the horrible humans that are at fault.

If we can't get self driving cars because humans are too stupid to drive on the same roads, the next best solution is another massive spike in fuel costs. Get the plebs off the road and onto buses. Out of my way, peons!

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
i can see freeways going automated only first before side streets. The new teslas can already drive themselves on the freeway. one of my friends at work got one and uses it, he says it works fantastically.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Am living with mom and going to school full time.
I dont have to worry about rent or food and believe me, I still aint happy.

Theres always a dozen other things on my mind. I suspect even if I were a multi-millionaire I would stress on some subject or another.

Kinda scary. I might need more pills. I dunno.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008

Must be why sales of Porsches, Ferraris, and McLarens are in the toilet. Oh wait... :\