What I don't get about the republican party...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I guess what the Repubs are confused about is why can't everyone else understand that the tea party does not represent the true core values of the Repub party yet they must conform to the tea party's further rightward lurch to stay unified without admitting it. It's just so much easier and convenient to accuse the Dems of going further left, when in fact the Dems have been forced to go further right to get anything heard in Congress, let alone actually passing anything into law.

The Repubs know how their being forced to concede to the tea party's wishes inexorably constrains and negatively filters their demographic, yet for them there is no other way to go other than splitting away from the whacko fundies and Limbaugh worshippers. That's something they can't do to win an election so everyone else suffers from the identity crisis the Repubs are now dealing with.

The Repubs need to broaden their base to win elections yet they must pander to their core faction of fundies and whacko purists. The resut of which crazily manifests itself in the likes of an apparently wishy washy moderate like Romney having to marry a far right winger as Ryan is.

What really matters though is that the ideology of each party hasn't changed. The Repubs obviously represent the rich and the Dems represent those that are victimized by our "capitalist royalty".

If your idea of what the Tea Party stands for came from Op-Ed pieces from MSNBC and the Huffington Post, then ya, you would feel that way.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
mialovevssandrafluke.JPG

Don't forget that one on the right imagines herself to be an "independent" woman because she doesn't have a husband.

Because demanding the government give you free things is the height of independence :D

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Why do they keep moving farther and farther right and keep scaring moderates away with all their bible thumping crazyness? The religious right is gonna vote for them no matter what, so why do they feel like they need to go so far right to make them all happy? All they would need to do is throw out a token "yay god" every once in a while to keep them all happy. Instead the entire party seems to be going full bible thumping crazy.

I used to be a republican until they starting moving right, becoming more and more anti-intellectual, and focusing on stupid shit like abortion, gay marriage, etc...

Now I either vote democrat or 3rd party.

I really want to vote republican. I don't care about poor people. I hate things like welfare and social security. I don't care that you lost your job to a computer. Life isn't fair.

What I do care about are things like science, education, keeping religion out of politics, and fiscal responsibility.

They just don't seem to get it. If they would just get rid of all the racist, anti-intellectual, creationist bible thumpers like Akin and Bachmann they would actually have a respectable politcal party for those of us who are more moderate. Until then I won't even think about voting republican.

I was going to vote republican last election because I don't mind McCain, but then he went and picked Palin, who is pretty much the definition of crazy, ignorant republican these days.

I'd rather see Obama and the rest of the democrats deliver a beatdown on the republicans to teach them a lesson. Too bad they probably won't learn anything from it. Maybe next election they can go even farther right. Surely that will work.

edit: Oops.. meant to post this in P&N

M.R. is a moderate, his is also their nominee, how exactly are they scaring moderates away? G.W.B. is a moderate, he was also their nominee twice in a row.

Oct 16, 1999
M.R. is a moderate, his is also their nominee, how exactly are they scaring moderates away? G.W.B. is a moderate, he was also their nominee twice in a row.

The current Mitt Romney is severely conservative. The moderate Mitt Romney is basically the guy we already have in office.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Mitt Romney is a moderate IMHO. But he has made promises to the far right and will be constantly pushed in that direction if he becomes president. There is no way he will be able to govern as a Massachusetts moderate and still garner support from the extreme right.

In other words, he sold out to win this election. It's to the point that nobody can definitively say what his beliefs are anymore

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The current Mitt Romney is severely conservative. The moderate Mitt Romney is basically the guy we already have in office.

Telling that to far righties who thinks their stance is mainstream conservative will not make any sense at all to them.

It seems that once the far righties/tea partiers took over the Repub party through displaying fits of righteous anger and infantile rage they naturally assumed that they were the true believers and core of that party, thus forcing the mainstream and moderates of that party to either pledge allegiance to the far right flag of besieged Americans or be branded traitorous RINOs. The choice is obvious.

Where oh where have the truly functioning conservatives gone.

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Why do they keep moving farther and farther right and keep scaring moderates away with all their bible thumping crazyness? The religious right is gonna vote for them no matter what, so why do they feel like they need to go so far right to make them all happy? All they would need to do is throw out a token "yay god" every once in a while to keep them all happy. Instead the entire party seems to be going full bible thumping crazy.

I used to be a republican until they starting moving right, becoming more and more anti-intellectual, and focusing on stupid shit like abortion, gay marriage, etc...

Now I either vote democrat or 3rd party.

I really want to vote republican. I don't care about poor people. I hate things like welfare and social security. I don't care that you lost your job to a computer. Life isn't fair.

What I do care about are things like science, education, keeping religion out of politics, and fiscal responsibility.

They just don't seem to get it. If they would just get rid of all the racist, anti-intellectual, creationist bible thumpers like Akin and Bachmann they would actually have a respectable politcal party for those of us who are more moderate. Until then I won't even think about voting republican.

I was going to vote republican last election because I don't mind McCain, but then he went and picked Palin, who is pretty much the definition of crazy, ignorant republican these days.

I'd rather see Obama and the rest of the democrats deliver a beatdown on the republicans to teach them a lesson. Too bad they probably won't learn anything from it. Maybe next election they can go even farther right. Surely that will work.

edit: Oops.. meant to post this in P&N

In today's GOP, you would be considered a RINO and chased out of the party.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Don't forget that one on the right imagines herself to be an "independent" woman because she doesn't have a husband.

Because demanding the government give you free things is the height of independence :D
She wants the government to be her husband.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The right in America has move so far into authoritarianism that they are willing to destroy the American economy and harm millions of the American people to take the Presidency back. In their willingness to affirm their own morality as God based, and the morality of liberals as evil, they have accomplished all that is needed to justify this nation destroying refusal to compromise. They have become dangerously fanatical and dangerously insane. The only question that that remains is whether the country falls first or the American people wake up and vote them out of office. Given that the Republican party serves the haves of the country, I wouldn't hold my breath. We may wind up at a point where they run out of bull shit and lies and start breaking out the cake.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002

He was a moderate. Now he's caved to all the crazies. I was actually excited a few years back when MR started tossing around becoming president. I liked what he did as the gov. of mass.

Now he's just pandering to all the fundies. Maybe it's all just a big act to get elected and he'll do a 180 and turn back into the MR of old.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Only democrats think it's moved too far right. Only republicans think it hasn't.

I'm a registered independent just so I can say I'm cooler than everyone else, and I don't think it's moved farther to the right at all.

What benefit does registering as independent have? Can you still vote in the primaries? In PA I register as either democrat or republican based on which part I like the least (I register with the one I don't like) so I can vote in their primary against the people I don't like.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They were warned what would happen if the Christian fundamentalists took over and they didnt listen.
They could get so much shit done of it wasnt for them.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Can we just some up the original post as:

"I don't get why the conservative party fails to embrace radical left-wing social views"?