What has happened to the Democrats in this country?

Feb 25, 2011
https://www.npr.org/2013/11/12/244772593/jfks-lasting-economic-legacy-lower-tax-rates

That boom came after Kennedy got Congress to try to stimulate the economy by passing a "liberal" agenda that included:
  • Increasing the minimum wage.
  • Expanding unemployment benefits.
  • Boosting Social Security benefits to encourage workers to retire earlier.
  • Spending more for highway construction.
But Kennedy also did something that conservatives have been praising ever since: He pushed for much lower tax rates.

You can have lower taxes if you do the first four.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Everyone knows that as tax rates approaches zero, revenue approaches infinity......signed, the "Laugher Curve".

This is the new GOP motto......
200.gif

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Looks like another late night drunken shit post from one of our resident know nothings.

Reactions: cytg111

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I agree that a tax cut can be good if "it means higher family income". A good tax cut would do this by either lowering lower and middle-class taxes or by incentivising businesses to hire middle-class workers and pay them good wages. This would lead to increased consumer spending and improve the overall economy.

A bad tax cut lets businesses and the rich keep more of their money to themselves. They are then likely to invest it in things such as rental properties and financial companies, which tend to drain money from the lower and middle classes. This leads to decreased consumer spending and worsens the overall economy.

The Trump tax cut is a bit of a mixed bag, but the good part is scheduled to disappear, and the bad part isn't.

This also ignores the national debt, which was decreasing as a percentage of GDP in the '60s, but is much higher and increasing now.

Federal_Debt_Held_by_the_Public_1790-2013.png

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I used to think I was a Democrat, and other times I thought I was a Republican. Now I'm a Centrist, because I realize that anyone too far to the left or right is simply batshit crazy :confused:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Ask West Virginia teachers (or the entire state of Kansas) how Republican tax cuts have worked in their states.