What has happened to the Democrats in this country?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Now let's watch as the OP's idiotic talking point gets repeated over and over again here among our idiotic GOPers as it is the official ridiculous know-nothing talking point that the GOP squawksphere has ordered its legions of imbeciles to shit all over the internet and broadcast media for the next week or so.

Just watch.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
JFK didn't live long enough to know the results of cutting taxes on the rich. We on the other hand have the data. We KNOW what happened when taxes on the rich were cut. Arguing an ignorant man's predictions against the ACTUAL and VERIFIABLE results is just plain silly.

Reactions: Ken g6

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
They just needed to cut spending a little more then everything would have been great

So
Much
Winning
!!!
When I have a deficit for a month, my answer is not to ask all my neighbors to give me money, I spend less the following month, gov. can learn a lot from that lesson.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I agree that a tax cut can be good if "it means higher family income". A good tax cut would do this by either lowering lower and middle-class taxes or by incentivising businesses to hire middle-class workers and pay them good wages. This would lead to increased consumer spending and improve the overall economy.

A bad tax cut lets businesses and the rich keep more of their money to themselves. They are then likely to invest it in things such as rental properties and financial companies, which tend to drain money from the lower and middle classes. This leads to decreased consumer spending and worsens the overall economy.

The Trump tax cut is a bit of a mixed bag, but the good part is scheduled to disappear, and the bad part isn't.

This also ignores the national debt, which was decreasing as a percentage of GDP in the '60s, but is much higher and increasing now.

Federal_Debt_Held_by_the_Public_1790-2013.png
LOL try no to be so jealous of those that earn more than you do. What is your tax bill at the end of the year, do you ever get a refund? If you earn over a million dollars, you will never see a refund, you will get a large bill at the end of the year. See a difference there yet or still think it's all the same thing?

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
They're usually smart enough to post shit like this in P&N rather than OT...not always...but usually.
P&N is a cesspool of name calling brats, I was hoping to do better since it is off the topic of tech. on a tech forum.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
When I have a deficit for a month, my answer is not to ask all my neighbors to give me money, I spend less the following month, gov. can learn a lot from that lesson.
You clearly don't understand how fiat currency works. Go spend a little time on google and wikipedia, champ.
LOL try no to be so jealous of those that earn more than you do. What is your tax bill at the end of the year, do you ever get a refund? If you earn over a million dollars, you will never see a refund, you will get a large bill at the end of the year. See a difference there yet or still think it's all the same thing?
You clearly don't understand how taxes work for people who are millionaires and hire tax attorneys and accountants to professionally manage their money.

You're essentially arguing that stupid millionaires who don't know that tax attorneys and accountants exist need help to counteract their own stupidity, because otherwise, the poor, poor millionaires don't get a tax refund.

Are you 12?

Feb 4, 2009

True but I doubt your answer involves quitting your job to save on the gas money either.
We could make silly comparisons all night.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans like to ignore the left side of the Laffer curve that they keep rolling out.
512px-LafferCurve.svg.png

Kennedy cut top marginal tax rates from 91% to 70%, and corporate tax rates from 52% to 48%.

Reactions: Kobota

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
West Virginia DID ask their teachers and public employees to "spend less" by earning the lowest wages in the country. How did that story end?

We'll be seeing a replay of it across a lot of GOP states soon. Oklahoma teachers haven't received a raise in a decade while the GOP handed $500 billion to corporations and billionaire donors this year.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I took a sober five minutes considering the truth the OP offered and only then started laughing myself to death.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Everyone knows that as tax rates approaches zero, revenue approaches infinity......signed, the "Laugher Curve".

This is the new GOP motto......

Yeah, just like we know tax avoidance stays at a constant zero no matter how much rates go up including all the way to 100%. Everyone knows that.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, just like we know tax avoidance stays at a constant zero no matter how much rates go up including all the way to 100%. Everyone knows that.

Nobody ever said or acted like that. However, the current trend of cutting rates to lower and lower while still parroting the ole 'the cuts will grow the economy so much that they will pay for themselves' over and over and over again. Perhaps we haven't gotten to the hump of the bell curve of the ole Laugher curve, eh? Perhaps the bell is centered around zero, eh?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I think the issue is more that republicans prefer to spend on programs that most americans could care less about but persistently try to not spend on programs most of us care a lot about. Also they don't seem to grasp that when the middle class makes money they pay taxes on pretty much all of it but when the uber rich make money they tend find ways to hide that money from taxes paid to the government. It's a increasingly losing gamble.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I think the issue is more that republicans prefer to spend on programs that most americans could care less about but persistently try to not spend on programs most of us care a lot about. Also they don't seem to grasp that when the middle class makes money they pay taxes on pretty much all of it but when the uber rich make money they tend find ways to hide that money from taxes paid to the government. It's a increasingly losing gamble.
I don't like any of the 'programs' the government wastes my money on personally.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
West Virginia DID ask their teachers and public employees to "spend less" by earning the lowest wages in the country. How did that story end?

We'll be seeing a replay of it across a lot of GOP states soon. Oklahoma teachers haven't received a raise in a decade while the GOP handed $500 billion to corporations and billionaire donors this year.
I bet corporations pay more money to employees than teachers do, if they even have any, which is doubtful.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I don't like any of the 'programs' the government wastes my money on personally.

Really? You hate clean water, roads, police protections (such as they are), fire protection, some semblance of a public education system (or do you hate that everyone has the ability to obtain a basic education?), etc., etc.

You really are that Russian guy, aren't you?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I bet corporations pay more money to employees than teachers do, if they even have any, which is doubtful.
Until this post I thought you were just another worthless Russian troll. Now I think you're a worthless Russian trollbot. You flunked the Turing test.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Until this post I thought you were just another worthless Russian troll. Now I think you're a worthless Russian trollbot. You flunked the Turing test.
It's almost like he wrote the post using predictive text on his phone. Which makes it slightly more intelligent than his normal posts.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
JFK was wrong about a huge list of things. Is there supposed to be some great significance in his being wrong about this as well?