what happens if you don't take out the wisdom tooth/teeth?

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i'm turning 28 in a few months and haven't had my wisdom tooth removed. actually i haven't been to the dentist for a couple of years because it was not covered in my previous jobs. my new work will offer dental insurance so i'll go see one soon. there's nothing coming out of my gums back there or anything but i think i remember a previous dentist told me mine is growing sideways, pointing to the front of my mouth. one of my front bottom tooth is starting to turn or twist slightly. i heard its very painful to remove the wisdom tooth or teeth, what happens if i don't remove it?

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003
they can do all sorts of ****** to u

push your teeth to all crooked ways
push through your gums where teeth arent supposed to be
F your jaw up

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Depends on how they grow in, if they crowd your teeth they can make your teeth crooked

I had my wisdom teeth taken out and wore braces for 6 years, my teeth are still crooked

My wife still has her wisdom teeth and never wore braces, her teeth are straight

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: gwlam12
My front teeth are crooked because of my wisdom teeth.

one of my bottom tooth is starting to twist, its not so bad yet but when i bite down on my arm to look at the teeth marks, its clearly not straight anymore. i don't want it to turn completely side ways. i guess i need to go see a dentist as soon as i'm covered.

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
If you don't have room in your jaw to accomodate them, your previously straight teeth will become crooked. :p

Doesn't have to be painful, they can knock you out while the oral surgeon removes them. *Suggestion* You want to see an oral surgeon, not a dentist!

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Yeah, besides just hurting they can crowd other teeth, and cause gum problems and/or infections. Go see and dentist and get them out if you need to. It will probably suck for a few days, but they give you good drugs usually.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I didnt take mine out yet. They are growing crooked and causing general problems every once in a while. I hate dentists =

Why are we so flawed that many of us have these problems? Human body is a miracle my a$$ ! Human body is pretty retarded if I can't even determine that these teeth won't fit in the space alotted if you ask me.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
some people don't have to have them out

your dentist needs to take xrays and give you his opinion on what to do

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Metron
Doesn't have to be painful, they can knock you out while the oral surgeon removes them. *Suggestion* You want to see an oral surgeon, not a dentist!

crap, does it mean its not covered by insurance then? how much is the cost usually?

and i'm not worried about the pain of the surgery, i worry about the days after

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
I wrote a 10 page paper the day after... my father was supposedly water skiing the day after he had his removed.

I had my removed many years ago, and I was given Perkodan for the pain. After taking one of those (they are pretty strong), I flushed the rest of them down the toilet... made me feel too spacey. Tylenol was sufficient for pain relief.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You will be like our 40 year old co-worker. A whiny taking 3 days off cry baby because you had one wisdom tooth removed.

Get them all done at once before you are 21 and be done with it.

Thanks

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
You heal fairly quickly (I had one removed). It took about 3 days to heal to the point I didn't have to bite down on cloth squares to absorb the blood anymore. It's really not that painful and my dentist told me that the roots take hold much better when you get closer to 30, which is why he recommended I have it removed (read: less painful now or more painful later in your case).

I actually have plenty of space in my jaw for wisdom teeth, but I only had one wisdom tooth on the right side of my mouth. Without a lower wisdom tooth to oppose the upper one, apparently it will continue to grow and eventually pierce into my lower gums. Given the choice of less pain now and no chance of pierced gums, I choose to have it removed.

confused1234

Banned
Jun 17, 2006
my dad has his and i might get to keep mine too. one of mine is already though and another one is just breaking the surface now

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I wrote a 10 page paper the day after... my father was supposedly water skiing the day after he had his removed.

I had my removed many years ago, and I was given Perkodan for the pain. After taking one of those (they are pretty strong), I flushed the rest of them down the toilet... made me feel too spacey. Tylenol was sufficient for pain relief.

I had one removed on a Friday and was out for the weekend.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Maximus96

crap, does it mean its not covered by insurance then? how much is the cost usually?

and i'm not worried about the pain of the surgery, i worry about the days after

That's the other kicker. The OPer can probably get away with having a regular dentist pull it now for substantially less. My dentist did mention it would probably require oral surgery if I waited a few more years because of the roots taking stronger hold thing I mentioned before.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
if you don't have them pulled it will cause your other teeth to become crazy crooked, or you could develop a horrible infection that spreads throughout your face, poisons your blood and kills you. other than that having them come in is pretty ok.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

I had one removed on a Friday and was out for the weekend.

I have a hard time figuring out what causes people to mope around so much after getting their wisdom teeth pulled.