what happens if you don't take out the wisdom tooth/teeth?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WiseOldDude

Feb 13, 2005
Unless they are giving you a problem, not a damn thing other than you get to keep more money in your pocket also.

I was told many time by different dentists, and also while in the Navy that they had to come out. Well I'm over 60 and they have given me no trouble at all.

It is a medieval tradition that too many dentists still practice.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
They can crowd your other teeth and cause problems down the road. Some people have enough room to let them grow in. If you don't have the room and you try to grow them in, it's going to be painful. If you've ever had braces, you remember that pain you get right after you have them tightened? Yeah... it would be many times worse than that.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximus96
crap, does it mean its not covered by insurance then? how much is the cost usually?

and i'm not worried about the pain of the surgery, i worry about the days after

I had mine taken out this year, the co-pay was $250 and it covered local anasthetic with nitrous where you are semi-concious but out of it. It cost me an additional $250 to get general asasthetic (knocked out.) The lesson I learned is to contact your insurance directly, provide them with a list, and have them tell you what is covered. Otherwise don't be suprised when you get a bill from the oral surgeon.

If they are pushing your other teeth around you should definitely get them out. I think the more impacted (crooked) the wisdom teeth are the more painful it is to remove them. Mine had grown in fine and I had zero pain following surgery. Worst part was all the food that gets caught in the holes where the wisdom teeth were.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: captains
they can do all sorts of ****** to u

push your teeth to all crooked ways
push through your gums where teeth arent supposed to be
F your jaw up

Yeah they do push up through your gums. Skin just kind of rolls to the side with no pain.

Mine showed up with no complications. Totally straight.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I had 6 teeth taken out at one time. Two regular teeth because I cracked them clenching my jaw for years while I sleep and all 4 wisdom teeth that were all coming out wrong, sideways, and under the muscle in the back of my lawer jaw. As bad as that all seems to sound it wasnt all that bad and took a few weeks before I could eat solid foods. If they need to go they need to go. No sense in waiting for them to become infected and you end up going through more pain waiting for the infectioon to go down before the dentist can remove them and then more pain as he takes them out.
Suck it up, be a man, proudly show the man card in the waiting room, and get the puppies poped out :D

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
Originally posted by: captains
they can do all sorts of ****** to u

push your teeth to all crooked ways
push through your gums where teeth arent supposed to be
F your jaw up

Yeah they do push up through your gums. Skin just kind of rolls to the side with no pain.

Mine showed up with no complications. Totally straight.
Just so you know, the whole "where teeth aren't supposed to be" crap is, well, crap. Wisdom teeth are, in theory, supposed to come up in line with your other teeth. It's just that most people's don't.

Mine did. Perfectly straight, no complications whatsoever. The doc will be able to tell you more when you see him, but usually they're pulled when you're about 16 - 20, when I'm assuming you had dental coverage. If they didn't grab 'em then there's a chance they don't need to grab 'em now.