What Happened In Yosemite?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You would think there still would be basic evidence of sickness. Vomit stains, something.

You'd think...if it was from the toxic algae, there would be some trace in the autopsy. The longer this drags out, the more it looks like someone is covering something up.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You'd think...if it was from the toxic algae, there would be some trace in the autopsy. The longer this drags out, the more it looks like someone is covering something up.

Last I checked, the toxicology results were still not back. I don't think we'll know until then.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo
Nov 17, 2019
So, after all the wild speculation, it turned out to be the most simple of causes:

"A family of three died of hyperthermia and probable dehydration while hiking in a remote area in California this summer, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese announced Thursday. Their dog was also with them,"

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So, after all the wild speculation, it turned out to be the most simple of causes:

"A family of three died of hyperthermia and probable dehydration while hiking in a remote area in California this summer, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese announced Thursday. Their dog was also with them,"

Looks like they died from Hyperthermia (Too hot):

ETA: Didn't notice @Lost_in_the_HTTP post.

Sounds like they didn't have enough water with them and the baby likely should've never been out in those conditions, IMHO. I've hiked in serious heat with a long sun exposure and you go through water insanely fast. You can also start cramping pretty quick if you don't have salt pills or food with you as well.

Just one person...sure, plausible scenario...but two otherwise seemingly healthy adults...and their dog?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Just one person...sure, plausible scenario...but two otherwise seemingly healthy adults...and their dog?
I'm guessing the dog or baby started having issues, so the dad stopped with them and the mom went on for help. The problem is as it comes on your judgement goes out the window and you keep making worse and worse decisions.

Dogs handle the heat much worse than humans and he likely had no water either.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've hiked a similar hard trial in similar condition and consumed ~3L of water myself. Which I drink a lot, but it was still hours and many more fluids before I needed to piss again. People die from hiking in the heat every year, so it isn't that unheard of.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It happens.

That's rough. Also shows why you never split up. I would also never do a desert hike in the summer without at least 4L/person of water of me, even if it was 1 mile loop.

Also Margaret Bradley who went from placing 31st in the Boston Marathon to dead in the Grand Canyon. I remember reading the sign about her on the trailhead.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I would guess when they realized the baby was in trouble they tried to head back or get help and didn't succeed before the heat and dehydration got them too.

Nov 17, 2019
I'm guessing the dog or baby started having issues, so the dad stopped with them and the mom went on for help.
Didn't the original stories mention that they were found some (short) distance apart?

You get disoriented and weak long before you succumb. They may not even have realized how bad off they were.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Looks like they died from Hyperthermia (Too hot):

ETA: Didn't notice @Lost_in_the_HTTP post.

Sounds like they didn't have enough water with them and the baby likely should've never been out in those conditions, IMHO. I've hiked in serious heat with a long sun exposure and you go through water insanely fast. You can also start cramping pretty quick if you don't have salt pills or food with you as well.
Ever since the story broke, it seemed to me (I'm no CSI) that hyperthermia is a very plausible scenario. It's easy for us to see this as a senseless tragedy but supposedly they were "experienced hikers," for whatever that's worth. When they started out, it was mid-70s so the conditions did change dramatically by noon and obviously they just weren't prepared for it.

Didn't the original stories mention that they were found some (short) distance apart?

You get disoriented and weak long before you succumb. They may not even have realized how bad off they were.
I believe they were found a bit apart.

Even if you do "realize it," what can you do? You have to hike your way out ASAP. Hypothetically it's arguable if one adult was able to hike out to get help if the remaining family would even have survived until rescue.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's rough. Also shows why you never split up. I would also never do a desert hike in the summer without at least 4L/person of water of me, even if it was 1 mile loop.

Also Margaret Bradley who went from placing 31st in the Boston Marathon to dead in the Grand Canyon. I remember reading the sign about her on the trailhead.

Yes, well in that case, they were able to save their son by giving him most of the water. Too bad they couldn't at least save the kid in the Yosemite incident.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Yeah, by the time they realized they were in trouble, they were probably past the point of rational decision making and the physical ability to do much with those decisions.
Ever since the story broke, it seemed to me (I'm no CSI) that hyperthermia is a very plausible scenario. It's easy for us to see this as a senseless tragedy but supposedly they were "experienced hikers," for whatever that's worth. When they started out, it was mid-70s so the conditions did change dramatically by noon and obviously they just weren't prepared for it.

I believe they were found a bit apart.

Even if you do "realize it," what can you do? You have to hike your way out ASAP. Hypothetically it's arguable if one adult was able to hike out to get help if the remaining family would even have survived until rescue.
Yeah, "experienced hiker" could mean anything. But that seems like a pretty odd hike to pick if you hadn't already done a lot of other hiking in the area, but with the need for park reservations they might have just pick something they could get to easily.

Guessing it was slower going than planned and they lacked the resources and planning to deal with it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, by the time they realized they were in trouble, they were probably past the point of rational decision making and the physical ability to do much with those decisions.

Yeah, "experienced hiker" could mean anything. But that seems like a pretty odd hike to pick if you hadn't already done a lot of other hiking in the area, but with the need for park reservations they might have just pick something they could get to easily.

Guessing it was slower going than planned and they lacked the resources and planning to deal with it.

Maybe they got lost and wound up on the wrong trail.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
What stupid fucking morons. Serves them right doing an 8 mile hike at 2000 feet elevation in the hottest part of fucking summer with about 2.5 liters of water between two adults, a baby, and a dog. Just sad the baby and dog had to die thanks to being chaperoned by two shit for brains. Living in the area and still dying like idiot tourons, smh.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What stupid fucking morons. Serves them right doing an 8 mile hike at 2000 feet elevation in the hottest part of fucking summer with about 2.5 liters of water between two adults, a baby, and a dog. Just sad the baby and dog had to die thanks to being chaperoned by two shit for brains. Living in the area and still dying like idiot tourons, smh.

That's a bit over the top Steve-O

Reactions: purbeast0 and pmv

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

"Briese said their one water container was found empty, and no additional water or filtration systems were located. There was no evidence of any portable dog bowls. "​

That corrects an earlier mistake where it was thought they had water. Together with the report of up to 108 degrees, it does make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Zorba

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

This part: "Just sad the baby and dog had to die thanks to being chaperoned by two shit for brains." Is the reason why I don't think he's over the line.

If they had survived but killed their baby you'd agree that it wouldn't be over the line at all and I don't think them falling victims to their own stupidity changes that.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
"Briese said their one water container was found empty, and no additional water or filtration systems were located. There was no evidence of any portable dog bowls. "​

That corrects an earlier mistake where it was thought they had water. Together with the report of up to 108 degrees, it does make a lot of sense.

108 degrees and they brought a BABY along. I mean.... If they had survived they would have been charged for the death of the baby and they would have been convicted, that level of stupidity is criminal.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
108 degrees and they brought a BABY along. I mean.... If they had survived they would have been charged for the death of the baby and they would have been convicted, that level of stupidity is criminal.

This is so much worse than the people who leave their baby in the car only for him to die. At least that usually comes from the parent just forgetting to drop the kid off at the sitter on the way to work or something. But these are allegedly experienced hikers who should have known better.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Given how irresponsible these parents are, I don't think he's over the top. They certainly don't deserve to die, but they certainly are responsible for their own death as well as the baby's and dog's. I don't know what they were thinking, if at all.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Given how irresponsible these parents are, I don't think he's over the top. They certainly don't deserve to die, but they certainly are responsible for their own death as well as the baby's and dog's. I don't know what they were thinking, if at all.
I'm with interchange on this. I agree it was stupid AF, but we don't have to rake them over the coals. It's basically Dunning-Kruger effect at work. This couple had a lot of "hiking experience" and thought they knew what they were doing when they decided to go out on this loop. I'm not much of a hiker but generally, the proximate Bay Area trails are mostly easy compared to where they ended up. The man did look up the trail before they left, but apparently wasn't experienced enough to understand the terrain and heat would dramatically affect the conditions by mid-day. My hunch is that they'd done dozens and dozens of Bay Area hikes where it's never 109 in the mountains, and thus assumed this would be another relatively easy one. When they left the trailhead, the air temp was mid-70s.

Senseless tragedies happen (with COVID, they've happened a LOT). We all agree on what happened here, but we don't have to dunk on the dead. They've already earned their Darwin Awards.

Reactions: pmv