What happen to hurricanes this year?

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
this is weird, I haven't heard anything about florida got hit by any hurricanes.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: DaWhim
this is weird, I haven't heard anything about florida got hit by any hurricanes.

I see you have fallen victim to the "Global Warming is going to kill us all" freaks who kept crying that things could only get worse. Last year was only the beginning... blah blah blah.

Some years there's more... some years there's less. This year there's less.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Global Warming caused a decrease in hurricanes for this year.

Plus, it is an election year so GWB ordered Karl Rove not to use his water warming eye laser beams on the Atlantic and the Gulf.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

I see you have fallen victim to the "Global Warming is going to kill us all" freaks who kept crying that things could only get worse. Last year was only the beginning... blah blah blah.

lol :laugh:

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
The last one that wrecked soflo didn't happen till mid sept.

So as a florida resident, I will be prepared until it gets too cold for hurricanes.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Global Warming killed it!!!!!!!

OMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE BECAUSE OF SUV'S!!!!!

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
So, you guys don't think the unusually hot summer is a better indication of global warming than a lower than average hurricane season. I take that back lower than above average. This is actually an average season.

Right on cue...Tropical Storm Florence has just formed in the Atlantic. It's probably a fish storm but there is a chance the high to its north may push it far enough west to hit the east coast. Everyone on the east coast keep an eye out.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

yeh, the alarmists told us this year was going to be a devastating hurricane season too.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Actually Sept 10 is usually the mid point of hurricane season. That being said, I think this year will not compare to last year by any stretch. Remember hurrican Andrew?, Ivan? Both of these storms' seasons were followed by a period of lack of hurricanes that caused any real damage.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Xenon
So, you guys don't think the unusually hot summer is a better indication of global warming than a lower than average hurricane season. I take that back lower than above average. This is actually an average season.

Right on cue...Tropical Storm Florence has just formed in the Atlantic. It's probably a fish storm but there is a chance the high to its north may push it far enough west to hit the east coast. Everyone on the east coast keep an eye out.

Unusually hot? Didn't seem to be around here...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Slashur
Actually Sept 10 is usually the mid point of hurricane season. That being said, I think this year will not compare to last year by any stretch. Remember hurrican Andrew?, Ivan? Both of these storms' seasons were followed by a period of lack of hurricanes that caused any real damage.

ivan was 2004. the next season was 2005. which we all know, saw several record setting storms in terms of power.

i won't go into katrina, it was mostly damaging and deadly because new orleans is a craptacular place to build a city and people didn't leave when they should have.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers

Look for yourself. In fact check the year to date numbers on that page.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/cag3.html

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
There have been several in the Pacific including some huge ones. They usualy call them cyclones there. One a week ago was the strongest in 10 years, they completly evacuated Wake Island.

The U.S. military has evacuated 200 people from Wake Island before the arrival of Typhoon Ioke, the strongest Central Pacific hurricane in more than decade.

Classified as a Category 5 "super typhoon," Ioke is expected to extensively damage the U.S. territory when it hits Wednesday with 155-mph winds, said Jeff Powell, lead forecaster for the National Weather Service in Honolulu.

"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/08/29/w...land.evac.ap/index.html?section=cnn_us

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
It may be warm in relation to recent history, but how about 100, 200 years ago? I'll admit we are fcking up our climate w/ greehouse gases, but people overstate them too much

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
It may be warm in relation to recent history, but how about 100, 200 years ago? I'll admit we are fcking up our climate w/ greehouse gases, but people overstate them too much

it's probably warmer than 200 years ago, considering that the mini ice-age was still going on then.

iirc, we're currently below the 2000 year trend line, however.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers

Look for yourself. In fact check the year to date numbers on that page.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/cag3.html

You do realize the temperature gauges they placed outside cities long time ago are now inside the cities due to economic growth and concrete and lack of foliage will increase city temperatures causing official temperature records to be artificially raised?