What grade do we give the GOP? In terms of being part of the solution?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Vic
why do people keep talking about republicans returning to fiscal conservatism? when have republicans ever been about that?

Eisenhower.

eisenhower was a rino :p

Clinton has been the best republican since Ike - :shocked:

Republicans are doing their best at what they do - I'll give 'em a *C*. The Party of No is at its best with obstruction, obfuscation, fallacy and personal attacks - not ideas.

edit: I forgot Waving the Flag ....

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I give them an Incomplete because they've been absent over the last 100 days.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The GOP doesnt have to do anything. They just have to sit back and watch those in power self-destruct, which has always been the case.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: Vic
why do people keep talking about republicans returning to fiscal conservatism? when have republicans ever been about that?

Eisenhower.

eisenhower was a rino :p

Clinton has been the best republican since Ike - :shocked:

Republicans are doing their best at what they do - I'll give 'em a *C*. The Party of No is at its best with obstruction, obfuscation, fallacy and personal attacks - not ideas.

edit: I forgot Waving the Flag ....

You've gotta be the dumbest person that I've seen post on this board in a long time. You constantly throw around the whole "party of no" crap, acting like it's something new. The way that you just described the Republican party fits the Democrats of 2 years ago to a T. Actually, it fits both parties when they are the minority party, too bad you're too far up the Democrats ass to notice it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: bamacre
F

completely worthless and terrible.

I actually agree, their own proposals have been as bad as the Democrat's.

If Republicans ate babies, you would say they're 'as bad as' the Democrats apparently.
No...

Republicans eat babies, Democrats kill them before they are born.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

JD50-

You've gotta be the dumbest person that I've seen post on this board in a long time. You constantly throw around the whole "party of no" crap, acting like it's something new. The way that you just described the Republican party fits the Democrats of 2 years ago to a T. Actually, it fits both parties when they are the minority party, too bad you're too far up the Democrats ass to notice it.

It`s sad that you honestly believe that...

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Republicans and Democrats get a big fat F, although I'm not sure why a flaming Democrat like the OP cares about the Republican party. Republicans and Democrats both broke this together, stop being stupid.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I'm sorry... but the Democrats have been in control of congress since 2006. What exactly did they do between then and last summer to prevent our current situation??

Trying to grade a minority party with no control over either branch of government is meaningless.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

JD50-

It`s sad that you honestly believe that...

Yea, you're right, the Democrats were so respectful and full of ideas and constructive criticism while GWB was in office, my bad...:roll:

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Republicans and Democrats get a big fat F, although I'm not sure why a flaming Democrat like the OP cares about the Republican party. Republicans and Democrats both broke this together, stop being stupid.

I give them a D for letting tools like Frank, Dodd, and Obama come in/to power.

And as far as breaking it goes only a fool would see it as a one party problem.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
I give them an A for effort. Working under these conditions is like being waterboarded for 8 hours a day.

I give them a gold star. It's like being watreboarded with a golden shower--and strangely enough, GOP seems to be quite content to be singing in the rain.

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I'm sorry... but the Democrats have been in control of congress since 2006. What exactly did they do between then and last summer to prevent our current situation??

Trying to grade a minority party with no control over either branch of government is meaningless.

ugh why didn't Cpt. Smith's 2nd mate move the iceberg out of the titanic's way he had like 10 minutes warning!

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
F

They have done nothing to help any of the problems that face america today. They havent offered alternative solutions that are viable.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ZeGermans

ugh why didn't Cpt. Smith's 2nd mate move the iceberg out of the titanic's way he had like 10 minutes warning!
I suggest you go read up on Barney Frank and the Democrats who blocked attempts to tighten up control at Freddie and Fanny and those two are a BIG part of the reason we are where we are.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I give them a 1 brown star. After 8 years of them in power, its kinda red now. Unfortunately our checkbooks will be that color for much longer. :( Oh yeah, vote blue!

Is anyone else getting tired of the tv types wanting to 'grade' everything political based on some arbitrary 100 day report card?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Democrats need exactly 0 Republican votes to do anything. And its clear Obama has NO interest in working bipartisanly (Is that a word?).. He said he won, and its his agenda.. (Or Nancy's)..

Quit blaming Republicans.. FIX THE PROBLEMS.. You have all the votes, and the smartest President to ever set foot in the whitehouse.. FIX THE PROBLEMS..

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Democrats need exactly 0 Republican votes to do anything. And its clear Obama has NO interest in working bipartisanly (Is that a word?).. He said he won, and its his agenda.. (Or Nancy's)..

Quit blaming Republicans.. FIX THE PROBLEMS.. You have all the votes, and the smartest President to ever set foot in the whitehouse.. FIX THE PROBLEMS..

Ahem...

Originally posted by: John F Kennedy
I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

-- Address at a White House dinner honoring Nobel Prize winners (April 1962)

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

100 days into it and we are well on our way. Start paying attention.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
This is the same every time the Republicans get voted out of office for FUBAR'ing the economy. The Democrats get elected to try to fix things...and the Republicans act like a bunch of spoiled brats...and have to be dragged along, kicking and screaming the whole way. Then, once the Dems get things running again, for SOME STUPID reason, the electorate puts the repubs back in office...and we start the process again...
I'm in my mid-50's and I DO NOT remember a time when the repubs actually HELPED the economy...with the possible exception of Ronnie Rayguns following the disasterous Carter years. (who followed 8 horrible years of Nixon/Ford.) I still don't give Ronnie Rayguns credit for actually FIXING things...but things did settle down somewhat following the election...so he gets Republican credit for being a savior...even though he nearly bankrupted the US trying to outspend the Soviets.

The problem with your theory, the GOP didnt break the economy. It broke under the pressure of itself during the time GOP was in power.

Our economic problems stem far longer than the GOP was in power.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Acanthus
F

They have done nothing to help any of the problems that face america today. They havent offered alternative solutions that are viable.

Its kind of hard to when you get shut out of all the important committee meetings, etc.

For everything the Dems bitched about the republicans doing to them during the GOP rule, the Dems have so far been 10 times worse.

The Dems wont need a single GOP vote soon as Franken is sworn in. So when they go down in flames after 4 - 6 years, they'll only have themselves to blame.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: bamacre
F

completely worthless and terrible.

I actually agree, their own proposals have been as bad as the Democrat's.

If Republicans ate babies, you would say they're 'as bad as' the Democrats apparently.
No...

Republicans eat babies, Democrats kill them before they are born.

More Republican FUD, eh John?

Demos don't kill the babies, they merely allow women to have abortions if they choose, where the Republicans want to force women to have the babies regardless of whether they're actually wanted, whether they can support them, or even if carrying the child to term may kill one or both.

I'm not pro-abortion, but I do support the woman's right to choose.

More dishonest comments from the right. The Dems have NOT been in control of congress. Perhaps a slight majority in the House, but until recently, a tie in the senate. In NO WAY does that constitute "being in control."

If the Republicans can't/won't help fix this country, they should just STFU and go back to their country clubs while the Dems do the heavy lifting...again.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: BoomerD
This is the same every time the Republicans get voted out of office for FUBAR'ing the economy. The Democrats get elected to try to fix things...and the Republicans act like a bunch of spoiled brats...and have to be dragged along, kicking and screaming the whole way. Then, once the Dems get things running again, for SOME STUPID reason, the electorate puts the repubs back in office...and we start the process again...
I'm in my mid-50's and I DO NOT remember a time when the repubs actually HELPED the economy...with the possible exception of Ronnie Rayguns following the disasterous Carter years. (who followed 8 horrible years of Nixon/Ford.) I still don't give Ronnie Rayguns credit for actually FIXING things...but things did settle down somewhat following the election...so he gets Republican credit for being a savior...even though he nearly bankrupted the US trying to outspend the Soviets.

The problem with your theory, the GOP didnt break the economy. It broke under the pressure of itself during the time GOP was in power.

Our economic problems stem far longer than the GOP was in power.

Actually if what you are saying is true.....what exactly did the republicans while they were in office do to fix anything?
When something is broke or breaking you try to fix it....you don`t wait til it is broken, do you?
Whats sad if that the Republicans might still be in control had thery went about trying to fix the problems.
But no instead they start a war in Iraq. Whats interesting about that war is had a Republican been elected POTUS we would be looking at 10 more years of the same mess.

Don`t look to soon for the Dem`s to go down in flames.
Bush screwed things up so bad that he even screwed his own party for at least 8 - 12 years!!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It's impossible to grade the GOP on being part of a solution to the economic situation, because they're not a part of the solution that we are pursuing. They have their own solution that they're unable to pursue because they pretty much have no power now, so we'll never know how well their solution would have worked.