What games do you want to see getting a remake the most?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Imagine a real-time version. I just watched the creator of Diablo say he was strongly in favor of turn-based but was pushed to make it real-time and when he did he loved it.
It's hard enough even with all the auto pauses on in the bigger fights!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So many to choose from. Not sure if these need remakes, but sequels or modern versions would be great:

Baldur’s Gate
No One Lives Forever
System Shock
Rise of Nations
Tie Fighter
Planescape: Torment
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Battlezone
Earth 2150
Homeworld
Giant: Citizen Kabuto
Black & White

I was waiting for someone to post some of these, and then I simply realized that I am 1) getting old, and 2) these games are probably older than many people on this board...

When this question comes along every few years, I think "Tie Fighter" was almost always on the list and near the top. I think it is at the point that people here have never experienced the game in any meaningful way (i.e. when the graphics were pretty much cutting edge). Grant it, the AI was never that good (heck, all you had to do was essentially roll the stick in a circular pattern and almost nothing direct fire could hit you (missiles being the exception, but those you just had to get to come at you from the side, let them get close enough and fly in a circle until you could line them up to shoot them down)). Anyway, the depth of control is something that is simply missing in the games of today when if you can't map the command to a button on a console controller the game designers decide that it is too complex to allow you to be able to do (I think the game had 70+ control actions, on top of the standard movement/aim and shoot).

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I was waiting for someone to post some of these, and then I simply realized that I am 1) getting old, and 2) these games are probably older than many people on this board...

When this question comes along every few years, I think "Tie Fighter" was almost always on the list and near the top. I think it is at the point that people here have never experienced the game in any meaningful way (i.e. when the graphics were pretty much cutting edge). Grant it, the AI was never that good (heck, all you had to do was essentially roll the stick in a circular pattern and almost nothing direct fire could hit you (missiles being the exception, but those you just had to get to come at you from the side, let them get close enough and fly in a circle until you could line them up to shoot them down)). Anyway, the depth of control is something that is simply missing in the games of today when if you can't map the command to a button on a console controller the game designers decide that it is too complex to allow you to be able to do (I think the game had 70+ control actions, on top of the standard movement/aim and shoot).
I had one of those ridiculous Thrustmaster joysticks that I used to scan every shipping container in the galaxy. Between X-Wing and Tie-Fighter, the Y-wing was my favorite to fly.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I have two.
1. No One Lives Forever
2. Crimson Skies

I played both back in the days and enjoyed both but never got to finish them. They weren't sales success but I feel they both deserve a remake with today's technology.

Clive Barker's Undying. Just an update with the graphics engine. oooo baby.

Heh, I haven't actually played anything for years, but on reading the thread title NOLF and Undying were the two that came immediately to mind. NOLF (and NOLF2) was actually funny and Undying had some great visuals (and not a bad storyline, as computer games go, though I think games have a long way to go still in that respect...you are doing well if they rise to 'passable genre fiction'). I got bored with the repetitive soldiering-sims that games seemed to degenerate to...as well as just no longer having time.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'd think the Wing Commander series and Privateer would make good for good remakes, if they haven't already had some sort of remake already (if so, let me know).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

omg yes. tie fighter is the best in the star wars "combat sim" series. i bought tie fighter from GoG a while back . i raged so hard on the last mission i haven't gone back to beat it again.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Deus Ex in Metro Exodus graphics and physics or what ever the latest technology.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How about Ultima VII? Put it in today's 3D isometric rpg engine, would it be better than "Divinity:Original Sin" or the "Pillar of Eternity" series?

Any and all of the mainline Ultima games should be up for remasters, if not remakes. Or something.

Ultima I and II were . . . odd . . . so I can see some reluctance to remaking those. But Ultima III - VII (parts 1 and 2) would all be fertile ground for remakes. Ultima IV and V were amazing games within the context of their launch. Black Gate and Serpent Isle were also very good games. Let us not speak of the games after that.

Unfortunately, most of the real talent behind the best of the Ultima series is widely dispersed. EA still holds the rights to the Ultima franchise (I think). Garriott de Cayeux holds the um, copyright? I guess? To the personage of Lord British, so you can't really put that character in the game without Garriott's involvement. Good luck getting all that together without a huge financial outlay at the start.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I'd think the Wing Commander series and Privateer would make good for good remakes, if they haven't already had some sort of remake already (if so, let me know).
I would gladly pay to play Wing Commander III in a modern engine. Will we ever get a proper Wing Commander or Star War space sim ever again?!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Choplifter, with all the original sounds.

Ahahah I remember landing on people by accident, or making the chopper "bounce" on the ground that would cause some people to get crushed beneath the chopper while trying to board. Poor little stick figure people.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I'm a bit late to the game here, but I am really looking forward to the Sept. release of Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries. MW3 was my all time favorite game back when, and I am really hoping this update brings that experience back. And yes, NOLF was a lot of fun to play and was one of a kind in that genre.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
World of tanks without artillery and go karts

This but i got a bigger issue with stealthy tank destroyers. Nothing sets me off in that game like being popped off every few seconds by a T67 or Hellcat cause my blind KV-1 couldn't see the broad side of a barn. I hate the idea of being able to hide and just sniping away in any game while the enemy is oblivious to where their death came from. Not to big on the hide and seek factor in those kinds of games.I like facing my enemy up close and personal. :)

I was kinda raging a bit when the pay to win E25 made a return, that little tank is just out of this world and consider anyone who is a wallet warrior could buy this thing and dominate is kind of wow.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Oh, and POD was, for me, the best racing game in its time. I know you can get a version on GOG that runs under Win10, but it's just not the same, graphics or gameplay wise. Would love to see it redone for today's hardware.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Most likely the first Mass Effect, which - despite being possibly in my top 10 greatest game of all time (all categories, all platforms) - in my opinion did not age well at all. I tried to replay it recently (just last year around November) and couldn't really keep going. I did play it a lot anyway, and completed it about 4 or 5 times total; so I know everything about it. But yeah, it really does need a massive facelift and not just in terms of graphics (and by graphics alone I don't mean just textures, but also character models, architecture, all types of meshes and furniture and so on) but also writing, A.I. and even combat. It would be a massive project though, pretty much just remaking it entirely (but then again that's the point of an actual proper remake). Very much in the way RE2 Remake differed from the original (obviously without the whole 2D-to-3D thing).

Also, I'd say Dragon Age: Origins, which I tend to put even higher on my top lists than ME1, did not age well. Although I do prefer DAO today more than I do ME1 (but I preferred ME1 back when it was still fresh) simply because DAO is way more of an RPG than ME1 was and doesn't "need" a remake on its combat system as much as ME1 does. So it's way more replayable today in my book. But again, remaking DAO would probably take any studio a solid 10 years to do so it's probably never going to happen. I mean just remaking the actual Intros / Origins of each races would take a good 2 or 3 years I think, even from the biggest studios out there. Especially if the goal of a would be remake of DAO would also be to increase the game's world size and improve the "explorability" of it (which frankly was obviously lacking originally, since DAO is very much an On-Rail, linear experience for the majority of the game. So just imagine DAO remade and possibly a bit re-imagined with the exploration (or map sizes) of Inquisition (minus the stupid MMORPG styled fetch quests).

I would also really like to see either Knights of the Old Republic, or the sequel; The Sith Lords, or both, remade entirely. I adored KOTOR, never got the chance to play KOTOR2 but read a lot of good things about it once community patches are installed, etc. But in truth I think that a remake of both would be almost necessary at this point. There's no way I can touch KOTOR1 again. I find older 3D games (in some specific cases) to be extremely difficult to replay, and unfortunately as much as I loved it originally (back on the first XBOX) I think (I know) I would stop after maybe 5 or 10 minutes. To each their own. When it comes to old(er) games I simply prefer 2D games. If I had to choose, however, I would go with a KOTOR2 remake instead, since I know and still remember almost everything from the original; so a remake of it wouldn't necessarily make me replay it immediately; unless of course they announced that the story itself would also be revised but at that point it's probably more than just a remake. Interestingly enough, I think there's more chances of either a KOTOR1 or 2 remake happening than we'll ever get to see anything remotely similar to a KOTOR3.

On a side note (about KOTOR3), I was watching an ex-BioWare employee playing the remake of RE2 recently on Twitch. He worked on many years on The Old Republic. And he mentioned as an anectode during the stream as he was playing RE2 (in a conversation from Chat that got into The Old Republic territory) that they "joked" internally at BioWare about how The Old Republic is the next 10 KOTOR games; hence why I said that above about KOTOR3 probably never happening. But anyway, that's another subject. I don't remember his name on Twitch (or rather the Twitch's channel name in question) but I probably favorited (followed) him so I could check in my list of followed channels just in case he's still there. But anyway I thought it was interesting that he mentioned that.

Now as I type this I'm not really surprised to see that I'm basically pointing at how the best, 'golden' BioWare games (of old) are the ones I think would deserve a proper full remake. Simply because they've been one of the best developers of all time for me, of course... up until a certain point.

Outside of some of the BioWare games though, yeah there's some I could list. One would be Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I absolutely loved it back then. But today it's very clunky to replay. Another one would be Shadow Man. I used to play the Dreamcast version to death, I completed that game about 3 or 4 times maybe; loved it. But replaying it today is tough... doable... but tough to go through (patience is required; lots of it). I did try about a year ago (Steam version) and even though I did manage to play about 1 hour worth of it I just lost interest. Not only because I do know what's around the next corner and what happens "next" in the story but the combat, aiming, camera systems is just way outdated now.

I could have a list of something like 50+ games I wish to have full remakes of. Most of them, however, would most likely be early (or put another way: old) 3D games; since I think that early 3D gaming might of course (and was, actually) have been impressive at the time and they were fine as they came out during their respective generation of gaming standards. But they are rough to replay today man... they are rough as hell, in many cases (not all; there's always exceptions, but there's just too many that would "need" to be remade for me to be interested in them again today even if I used to love them back then). To be honest, there's very few classic 2D games that I genuinely would like to see remade, otherwise I would say something like "Let's just remake the whole 8-bit and 16-bit classics library" and call it a night. But it's not the case, I still truly enjoy many of them to this day and I don't even need emulators with filters (to make them look "better" or... well, filtered) to enjoy them. Whereas early 3D games... ugh, it's tough.

If you play Dragon Age Origins in isometric mode, it looks fine, even today. It just looks bad during cutscenes but with the beautification mods it looks okay.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I would gladly pay to play Wing Commander III in a modern engine. Will we ever get a proper Wing Commander or Star War space sim ever again?!

It depends on the definition of "proper". Cloud Imperium Games have raised $220+ million and are giving it a try.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I'd love a remake of the original FarCry. The multiplayer in that game was fantastic.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i honestly dont want to see anything get remade at this point unless it was promised as a full remake without DLC's or anything of that nature.

For example, i was really stoked about the FF7 remake then i realized, with how things are, they will probably break it down into 3 parts like they did for FF13, and then DLC the living hell out of it including all the mini games, and then try to milk every last possible out of its loyal supporters, because thats how the gaming industry seems to be now.