What game would you use to showcase the PC's superior ability?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
edit: RAGE, rage rage rage. Absolutely the best looking game I've ever seen, totally forgot about it, and they weren't able to get the xbox or ps3 to utilize mega-texturing like the pc because of the lack of power. It is the most detailed game that exists and if it weren't for the fact that the gaming world hates pc, we would see more games using this insane megatexturing
also, it's $5 on steam now

No...low resolution textures are garbage. A Phone looks like it came out of a game 10 years ago.

This is an easy one. Load up Crysis 2 on Xbox 360 then run it on PC with Maldo HD, 4xAA + 4x SGSSA and bam...

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
QFT. I loaded up the PS3 this weekend for some BC1 and BC2 multiplayer action, and WOW...not nearly as pretty / smooth / fast / anything.

Just load up Skyrim and tweak out the gfx. Tho seriously I wouldn't really bother if he thinks a 7 year old cheapy console can outrun a halfway decent build. Perhaps a referral to his optometrist if he still isn't getting it.

Punch your friend in the face, and when he's bleeding on the ground, say "you're a fucking idiot".

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It is out on both the PS3 and 360 now via DD.

It is a cartoon of the original, though. A fraction of the vegetation, gutted physics, etc....really just a remade port that shouldn't be mentioned in the same line as the original.

Actually, it would be a great example for this thread. Play that thing on 360 and load up a tricked-out PC version to show just how big the difference really is.

Oct 30, 2004
We all have them, a friend who swears that consoles can do anything a PC can.

One thing consoles cannot do well is handle online multiplayer, custom content, and online multiplayer communities.

• You can't join an IRC channel on a console to type chat with friends from your game (or to organize matches, such as clan and pick-up game matches) on a console.
  • You can't minimize your game and post a quick message on the forums between rounds on a console.
  • You can't develop custom maps on a console.
  • You can't manage custom content as easily (if at all) on a console.
  • You don't have to pay to play online with a PC.
  • RTS games don't work real well on consoles.
Console online multiplayer gaming is about having a controlled experience. PC online multiplayer gaming is about freedom.

Last edited:

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
I have tons of pics I could show you, but I'll just show one.
This one from my skyrim and 32GB of mods.

1357560699-tesv-2013-01-07-20-10-22-38.jpg

That's enough for me to show the PC superior ability.
And BTW my game runs at a solid 60fps...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
should never post a thread like this.. As a hardware platform the PC is quite a bit stronger, is updated constantly and should easily spank anything console related.. just a fact.. In a perfect world it would be the best system.

Problem is the world is full of LAZY, and I wont say Greed, but money is a major concern. We live in the REAL world, not the perfect world.. Both sides have legit bragging points.

consoles sell more of almost any game. SO games are made to showcase consoles strengths and hide the weakness. Most consoles are about as powerful as 4-5 year old average PC tech.. but Console games are developed for a SPECIFIC set of hardware so they can shine on it.. Us PC guys get the left over ported crap and it often times looks worse. It was at one point in time the other way around, we got the gold, they got the bronze.. We do have an advantage. Somebody Mentioned Dark Souls.. in its PC SHIPPED form.. its ok.. no huge advantage over the console version.. in its Modded form it much better then the console version.. Its not because the PC couldn't do it better, it because it wasn't worth the investment to do it better.

Console have one large thing going for them.. They are getting games us PC gamers are not (but we get games they don't).As console markets have grown, it makes sence to design for the game controller, not the mouse keyboard. SO even if the games are used on both.. PC gamers tend to get the short end of the stick. The game will look better and play better most of the time, but they will have badly implemented interfaces, odd Auto aim stuff, etc..

personally a Keyboard and mouse is my preferred way of playing.. I like i can mod, or pick my resolution. And my #1 thing, anything Online is only 20% asshat players in voice, instead of Xbox Lives 90% level. or PSN cricket chirps level of voice...

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
It is a cartoon of the original, though. A fraction of the vegetation, gutted physics, etc....really just a remade port that shouldn't be mentioned in the same line as the original.

Actually, it would be a great example for this thread. Play that thing on 360 and load up a tricked-out PC version to show just how big the difference really is.

Still a crappy game on any platform.

Consoles are cheap and are good for local co-op and non-hacked online gaming. The PC has it's strengths, which are mostly brute force. I mis it up and buy according to the strength of the system.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Bioshock: Infinite should look amazing on PC.

the 15 min demo looks so cool.

Feb 6, 2007
I actually did this for a friend. I had my PC and the Xbox 360 hooked up to the TV. I loaded Skyrim on the 360 and my modded Skyrim on the PC, went to the same area in both, and just flipped the source input between them. They weren't perfectly synced up or anything, but you could see the immediate jump in resolution, texture quality and lighting (custom ENB config), along with things like antialiasing and superior filtering. The Xbox 360 version looks fine if that's what you're used to, but seeing them back-to-back, basically superimposed on each other, really is the best way to show off just how much more the PC is capable of.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
battlefield 3 singleplayer, the aircraft carrier level's opening scene, on a 1080p projector, on very high

it's literally stunning

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
We all have them, a friend who swears that consoles can do anything a PC can

So..idiots? Why do their opinions matter?

Show them the hardware. Show them the unmatched precision of a keyboard+mouse setup. No contest.

Show me Total War on consoles. Show me DCS A-10 and Black Shark on consoles. Show me Crusader Kings and Civilization on consoles.

Show me FSX on consoles.

Show me ArmA II on consoles. And then show me the MASSIVE mod/map/skin support for so many games that literally change and prolong the core gameplay.

Sure, you can harp on the easy "but TEH GRAFIX!" nonsense, and that's great for the kiddies, but that's barely the tip of the iceberg. The PC still offers experiences that you simply CANNOT REPLICATE ON CONSOLES. Period.

As long as that's the case, the quoted statement in the OP is moot, meaningless, and without merit.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Any game with a open world environment would do the trick, fallout 3 is a good one to use even tho it is a older game

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I first saw BF3 on my friends xbox, he was telling me how amazing it was then proceeded to grab a sniper rifle and zoom in to take a shot. He was aiming at 2 pixels that were moving. When he saw it on the rig in my sig he was so amazed he immediately made me stop playing to order him the components he needed to build a gaming pc.