What game would you use to showcase the PC's superior ability?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Arkitech, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Arkitech

Arkitech Diamond Member

We all have them, a friend who swears that consoles can do anything a PC can. So what game would you use to put the console to shame? And what hardware would be needed to showcase the absolute best graphics a PC is capable of.

So far this screenshot is probably one of the most breath taking things I've seen on the PC. A few more are found here http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=314

[​IMG]

However I recently learned that the game is not really playable at that high level of detail. I think the fps is about 1, lol. But just the fact that the PC can even render a screenshot that gorgeous makes me want to shed a tear. It's only a matter of time before games this beautiful will be the norm.

What other games out there on the PC deserve an award in graphical excellence?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - game showcase PC's Forum Date
    The Pawn online (old Amiga game) PC Gaming Yesterday at 3:37 PM
    Has Microsoft ever stated why they won't bring the Halo franchise to PC? PC Gaming Saturday at 8:25 PM
    Get Starpoint Gemini 2 for free from Steam until May 24th at 10AM PT. PC Gaming May 22, 2017
    Gaming Laptop PC Gaming May 22, 2017
    Need some help getting games to play in full screen ? PC Gaming May 13, 2017

3. PinmasterJay

PinmasterJay Senior member

no special game needed, and the only hardware needed is a keyboard and mouse

4. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Your friend is nuts. The current consoles are ancient. That screenshot looks very nice.

5. Stringjam

Stringjam Golden Member

#4 Stringjam, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Dump the friend and enjoy your PC.

7. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Consoles couldn't even play the first Crysis.

8. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

That's not game play tho. I wouldn't consider a cut scene good to show off anything

9. Schadenfreude

The Total War series

/thread

10. tcG

tcG Golden Member

Crysis 3 will soon have the best graphics.

11. maniacalpha1-1

maniacalpha1-1 Diamond Member

Play BF3 on console limited to 24 players then play Planetside 2, showcases it quite well.

12. Stringjam

Stringjam Golden Member

It's not just a cut scene. This is not pre-rendered CG, it is rendered real-time.

No, it isn't in-game rendering, or anything close to what is possible right now with playable in-game frame rates....but it is still impressive for what it is, at least IMO.

13. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

Any PC games displayed on TV @1080p easily looks better than any console version.

14. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

15. PhatoseAlpha

PhatoseAlpha Platinum Member

Dark Souls would probably be a good one, simply because it's useful to demonstrate how much the consoles actually lose to technical limitations. Show the console game, go into blight town. Load up the pc version, do the same thing. Then turn on DSFix, and do it again.

That last step is a doozy, because it doesn't replace any of the art assets. The Dark Souls texture artists clearly put a lot of work and detail into the game, and it just gets lost to the blurry low resolution display. Should throw the technical limitations of the consoles - and what they're actually costing him - into sharp relief.

16. Martimus

Martimus Diamond Member

The Witcher 2 really shows off the PCs superior graphics and UI ability to consoles.

17. Piotrsama

Piotrsama Senior member

Back in the day.... my bro had a friend that used to say that his NES games looked sorta the same as our PC VGA games.... :D

And for your friend... any game rendered at resolutions consoles can't achieve. (even with upscaling).

18. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Crysis 1 for pure graphics, and something like the Total War series for scale.

19. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

if its just about showing off hardware then a top end FPS will do the job.

But other games like Minecraft, Sins of a Solar empire and Uplink show very different types of games that are simply not playable on a console at all due to its input interface.

20. TakeNoPrisoners

TakeNoPrisoners Platinum Member

Most multiplatform games at 1440p prove the point easily. Play some Far Cry 3 with SLI GTX 670s at that res maxed with some AA and compare it to an Xbox running the same game.

21. WaitingForNehalem

WaitingForNehalem Platinum Member

Battlefield 3 with Premium maps. When I first played on "Scrapmetal" I was in awe.

#20 WaitingForNehalem, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  22. dragantoe

dragantoe Senior member

edit: RAGE, rage rage rage. Absolutely the best looking game I've ever seen, totally forgot about it, and they weren't able to get the xbox or ps3 to utilize mega-texturing like the pc because of the lack of power. It is the most detailed game that exists and if it weren't for the fact that the gaming world hates pc, we would see more games using this insane megatexturing
    also, it's $5 on steam now

#21 dragantoe, Jan 7, 2013
  23. Corporate Thug

Metro 2033 for me.

24. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

The advantage of PCs goes beyond graphics. It would need to be a game that has the graphics, but also a strong sense of community where large player counts can interact which adds to the experience. So, since no game like that exists then i'd have to say BF3.

OR THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-9zVjFcpjeA

#23 moonbogg, Jan 7, 2013
  25. Kalmah

Kalmah Diamond Member

This. Aside from everything else, PC gaming has community. For example, I can play Baldur's Gate, a game from 1998, and install mods that keep it up-to-date and playable on today's hardware. Go look at the hundreds of thousands of modules for Neverwinter Nights 1. If I want to play a FPS without the kiddos there is a clan for that. Realism mods for BF2 are amazing as well. I can go and play on a Team Fortress 2 server that has admins keeping the server fun instead of random instant-matches. I could probably lists examples all day if I wanted to keep going. Also, (for many instances), you have to be tech savvy for computer gaming which filters out the neanderthals.

26. sigurros81

sigurros81 Platinum Member

Punch your friend in the face, and when he's bleeding on the ground, say "you're a fucking idiot".