What first world problem did you have today?

Page 856 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No still got the beard (have not shaved it since Christmas either so it's getting thick), but masks don't help the situation haha. I was standing far enough from the cash then she says "madam you can come here" or something to that extent. At first I did not catch on she was talking to me then when I realized and went to the cash she's like "ohhh sorry!". She felt bad but it was a pretty funny situation.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm starting to see rental car shortages. $221 a day to rent a car in Austin, TX. lol. Glad I booked early.

If you're planning to travel and rent a car this summer, book early and keep checking the rental rates. Car rental companies don't have big inventory like in the past. They have less competition and domestic leisure travel is starting to pickup. Just a fair warning to everyone so it doesn't come as shock later when they find out there's no car available to rent and the rental companies jack up the rates to stupid level.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Had stomach problems all week.

Monday I was in an outbuilding working and suddenly realized had to go. I do the weird run with my butt cheeks clenched to the bathroom. This is a strange bathroom. The commode isn't in a stall it's in a little room about the size of a decent sized home bathroom with nothing else in it. Just a toilet against one wall. I ran in and noticed the coat hook was gone so I went to the far corner and stripped off my gloves, apron and jacket and dropped them on the floor. Ran to the toilet to do my business...

While I sat there I notice a big ass spider come under the crack under the door, followed by 3 little spiders.. It starts walking toward me. Now I'm the spider killer at my house but I still didn't want to have to jump up and kill these things while I'm taking a crap so I stomped my foot a few times and they all stopped. I figured I would stomp on them as soon as I stood up.

As I started to pull the toilet paper off the roll it startled the spiders and they all ran into my pile of clothing. MFER....

I was able to shake out the big one and 2 little spiders but I couldn't find the last one. I spent the rest of the day "feeling" a spider in my coat.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Today my first world problem was reading a thread about someone needing to find a portable sink for their apartment so they could stop getting tons of food delivered to them.

Reactions: pete6032

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm starting to see rental car shortages. $221 a day to rent a car in Austin, TX. lol. Glad I booked early.
I miss COVID. :(

Last spring when my car was in the shop, I rented a series of cars for less than that per week.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would guess anything travel/vacation related is going to be nuts for a little while once all this is over. That and anything that has chips in it, even cars. The chip shortage is not only affecting GPUs but it's actually affecting cars too.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
yikes

demand and prices for vacation will be so high, i don't expect to go on a vacation until maybe 2025
It's not that bad. I'm trying to book some vacations now and I'm not seeing crazy prices other than for occasional rental cars. Remember, Hertz went bankrupt and many car rental places downsized their fleets and sold off bunch of their cars while not ordering new ones because they didn't know when business traveler demand would bounce back. But leisure travelers have taken up some of the slack in demand and there are less inventory of cars out there now. These rental car companies pretty much operate on surge pricing model so when there is ample supply, rentals are dirt cheap. But when inventory is low and most are rented, you get the crazy surge pricing. And that's what is happening in Austin. Airport rentals are pretty much sold out. But I'm sure the ones in the city and suburbs are still available so people might have to rent it there and just take Uber to the car rental places in the city.

Hotel and lodgings are fine unless you're trying to book near national parks. It's not like hotel supply went away.

I miss COVID. :(

Last spring when my car was in the shop, I rented a series of cars for less than that per week.
I want this COVID madness to end. I would cancel my trip or just take Uber everywhere if I had to pay that stupid rate. I booked early so I'm paying less than that for 5 day rental.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It's not that bad. I'm trying to book some vacations now and I'm not seeing crazy prices other than for occasional rental cars. Remember, Hertz went bankrupt and many car rental places downsized their fleets and sold off bunch of their cars while not ordering new ones because they didn't know when business traveler demand would bounce back. But leisure travelers have taken up some of the slack in demand and there are less inventory of cars out there now. These rental car companies pretty much operate on surge pricing model so when there is ample supply, rentals are dirt cheap. But when inventory is low and most are rented, you get the crazy surge pricing. And that's what is happening in Austin. Airport rentals are pretty much sold out. But I'm sure the ones in the city and suburbs are still available so people might have to rent it there and just take Uber to the car rental places in the city.

Hotel and lodgings are fine unless you're trying to book near national parks. It's not like hotel supply went away.

I want this COVID madness to end. I would cancel my trip or just take Uber everywhere if I had to pay that stupid rate. I booked early so I'm paying less than that for 5 day rental.
Just claim you're an illegal and Sam is paying.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I went to the office today. The office network is slower than my home network. I was using various online maps and had to disconnect the office network and tether to my phone to get anything done.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I didn't want to cook this morning and I was tired of left over food so I went to the local McD. Not sure what was going on with that place but I and others had to pull over to the side parking lot and wait and wait for our foods. I waited and waited for almost 15 minutes. What a mess.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Owning a hatchback is kind of annoying when you park your car on the street all the time. Have to take everything out of the trunk out of fear someone will break in and take stuff. Didn't have to worry about that when I had a sedan with a proper trunk.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Owning a hatchback is kind of annoying when you park your car on the street all the time. Have to take everything out of the trunk out of fear someone will break in and take stuff. Didn't have to worry about that when I had a sedan with a proper trunk.

Either grab a roll-out privacy cover if available for your ride or do what I do and put one of those big Rubbermaid bins w/lid back in the hatch area.

Still won't be quite as secure as a proper locked trunk but "out of sight out of mind" def applies here.

Reactions: pete6032

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Either grab a roll-out privacy cover if available for your ride or do what I do and put one of those big Rubbermaid bins w/lid back in the hatch area.

Still won't be quite as secure as a proper locked trunk but "out of sight out of mind" def applies here.
We do have a privacy cove in the vehicle. I just worry about what I can reasonably put in there. For example I had some replacement parts - wiper blades, air filter, cabin air filter, washer fluid, etc I wasn't sure about leaving these items in the trunk area. For peace of mind I like to take everything out of the trunk and leave the privacy canvas rolled up. Perhaps that is naiive and just something I do because it's a newer vehicle.

Reactions: Captante