What first world problem did you have today?

Page 770 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yesterday was my official layoff date. I still have 2 paychecks coming. I have no idea how or when to file for unemployment.

Should be a fucking blast.

These days First World Problems aren't so First World as they used to be.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yesterday was my official layoff date. I still have 2 paychecks coming. I have no idea how or when to file for unemployment.

Fuck that...layoff is payoff.

What state do you live in?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Fuck that...layoff is payoff.

What state do you live in?

Washington. I know I can get unemployment. I'm waiting for wifey to leave for work so I can get on hold and find out when to file. I'm pretty sure you cant file the day you are laid off. Didn't there used to be a waiting period?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think this is a sign that you spend too much time on ATOT...

Yeah, though I'd argue that in turn is due to a virus. Computer problems are often virus-related, I guess. Normally it's not this kind of virus though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Washington. I know I can get unemployment. I'm waiting for wifey to leave for work so I can get on hold and find out when to file. I'm pretty sure you cant file the day you are laid off. Didn't there used to be a waiting period?

there IS a waiting week...but that doesn't start until you file.

Looks like they're modifying the waiting week for this.

It's been so long since I worked here in WA, I had forgotten that your employer can make you wait until the next regular pay day for your final checks. Working in CA for 25 years where they have to pay you off within 24 hours for layoffs spoiled me.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

???

Looks interesting. I might play with it and try to convince my family to use it instead of all these other ones. Would be cool to get some video chats going without relying on stuff that is full of spyware.

My church actually pulled their Zoom link and decided to go back to prerecordings on Youtube. Much better IMO. Why over complicate something that does not need to be complicated.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Sucks, sorry to hear! At the end of all this there will be so many people trying to apply for jobs everywhere it's going to be brutal. Even airlines are doing mass layoffs. Lot of people are going to get some rude career changes. I consider myself lucky to be in an essential service.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah it's a huge security and privacy nightmare. I don't get why it's taking off, there has got to be better alternatives.

It's not sooo bad if you password protect your Zoom meeting. If you're doing top secret stuff like bank transactions with it, though, you're probably doing it wrong.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The pepper pretzels I ordered were OOS. The spice supplier doesn't make that blend anymore, but said they'd make some if an entire batch was purchased. The pretzel company went ahead with it, but said it would be several weeks before they could ship. I ended up substituting honey mustard and onion. I liked them decades ago, but kinda lost my taste for them. I'm hoping the superior pretzel base improves my opinion, and perhaps they'll use a better spice blend than Snyders.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's not sooo bad if you password protect your Zoom meeting. If you're doing top secret stuff like bank transactions with it, though, you're probably doing it wrong.

I'm more worried about the client trying to harvest all my information off my PC or phone (assuming there is an app too), it looks like it is known to share personal info with 3rd parties... like pretty much everything seems to do now days. When I tried to install the FF extension the Mozilla site said it's not a recommended extension, and it was asking for all sorts of permissions such as my google account (guessing it would use my current cookies to access it?)

Thankfully my church changed their mind on using it at least that's what it looks like since the link on the site is not there anymore. Best to stick to prerecorded messages anyway.

Speaking of church I heard some places in the states are still allowing regular church services to happen? That seems like a bad idea.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
motor oil was on sale but need a certain amount to get free shipping.

so i ordered two 5quart jugs of motor oil and two oil filters.
got an email saying the jugs have been shipped.
nothing about my oil filters.

obviously, need both to do an oil change.

luckily because of the virus, I'm not going to be driving much for the foreseeable future

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I was on my way to my wife's business and passed where I worked until a few days ago. About a block away I saw some of the stuff that got stolen last week ( 4 break ins in one week BTW) on the side of the road. I stopped and took a pic and was gonna send it to my boss who was also laid off and realized.

NOT OUR PROBLEM :)

Reactions: highland145

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
last time I was on travel, I left my fitbit charger at home. (FML #1)
so I ordered a 2nd one and put it in my laptop bag.

a month later, my fitbit battery life goes downhill fast.
from 5 days to 4 to 3, etc.
a couple of weeks after it started, it no longer holds a charge.

so I wasted $ on a 2nd charger that I never used. (FML #2)

ordered a Xiaomi 'Band 4' fitness tracker for $31 on Amazon. (global version, so doesn't have NFP. is that feature even that useful?)

but I ordered it today (sat) after the cutoff time for next business day delivery. (I have Prime.)
ie: Mon

so now will arrive on Weds.
wtf weds (4 days from now)?!
(FML #3)

/UniverseHatesMe
/1stWorldRant
:p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I kept sitting on my ass waiting for a good time to mow.
Now the sun is out and its 65 degrees and I found some sweat on my t-shirt after mowing.
Also my electric mower needs recharging right before I can finish the whole lawn.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Lawn is growing too fast considering how cold the nights are. This morning when I went on a Coke run it was 34 degrees.

FUCKING SHIT!

ITS SIXTY FUCKING FIVE DEGREES RIGHT NOW!

FACK!

• Haha
Reactions: snoopy7548

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
last time I was on travel, I left my fitbit charger at home. (FML #1)
so I ordered a 2nd one and put it in my laptop bag.

a month later, my fitbit battery life goes downhill fast.
from 5 days to 4 to 3, etc.
a couple of weeks after it started, it no longer holds a charge.

so I wasted $ on a 2nd charger that I never used. (FML #2)

ordered a Xiaomi 'Band 4' fitness tracker for $31 on Amazon. (global version, so doesn't have NFP. is that feature even that useful?)

but I ordered it today (sat) after the cutoff time for next business day delivery. (I have Prime.)
ie: Mon

so now will arrive on Weds.
wtf weds (4 days from now)?!
(FML #3)

/UniverseHatesMe
/1stWorldRant
:p

I ordered soap yesterday and it was supposed to be here Monday. It got here at 830 this morning. Maybe you'll get lucky.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
ATM rejected my March cheque. Now I have to wait for tomorrow and risk facing a human teller.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My old Dell XPS laptop self-destructed this week. My daughter was using that for online schooling, so I'm going to have to order a cheap replacement for that.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
My old Dell XPS laptop self-destructed this week. My daughter was using that for online schooling, so I'm going to have to order a cheap replacement for that.
her school didn't give her a laptop for distance learning?
you gotta use your own?
that sounds like a normal problem.

a 1st world problem would have been:
school gave my daughter a chrome book for online learning.
no daughter of mine is going to use that peasant laptop.
unfortunately, my $1000 Dell XPS laptop died so I gotta buy her a new laptop.
maybe an Alienware $1500 laptop

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry