What first world problem did you have today?

Page 498 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
Outside of the lack of control, and the spying crap, what really bugs me about 10 is the ugly blocky big UI that you can't really change. There's a few options like the black one, but that's about it. Everything is so big and takes up so much space. Dialogs are too big, window elements are too big. It reminds me of being on a 640x480 monitor. The UI basically negates the real estate gain of being on a higher res monitor. We have it on the church computer and I just find it really annoying to use. I put classic shell so at least the start menu is half decent but the rest of the UI still sucks and is hard on the eyes.

I ended up putting Linux on an older machine which we also use to store speech recordings. I also setup Audacity and such to record right on that machine, so the win10 machine is only really for powerpoint now.
I think you are misinterpreting the situation here. The telemetry that your W10 is doing recognizes you are blind and making everything bog for you. W10 is like your twilight years nurse.

Nov 20, 2009
Today's first world problem was having to sit through 50 minutes of the SB LI clock time before the Pats decided they would play football.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Outside of the lack of control, and the spying crap, what really bugs me about 10 is the ugly blocky big UI that you can't really change. There's a few options like the black one, but that's about it. Everything is so big and takes up so much space. Dialogs are too big, window elements are too big. It reminds me of being on a 640x480 monitor. The UI basically negates the real estate gain of being on a higher res monitor. We have it on the church computer and I just find it really annoying to use. I put classic shell so at least the start menu is half decent but the rest of the UI still sucks and is hard on the eyes.

I ended up putting Linux on an older machine which we also use to store speech recordings. I also setup Audacity and such to record right on that machine, so the win10 machine is only really for powerpoint now.
I use both W10 and W7 in 1080p and I can't tell the difference in size.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I left windows to its own devices at office. I got tired of waiting for it to do something. I like to see a successful result before I leave a computer, but I have to sleep tonight. Can't wait to see what delights windows has in store for me tomorrow :^(
Holy Fuck! Installing update 177 of 224. I think I left it at update 132. What the hell is it doing?!

It would be amusing to have three identical computers setup. One to install vanilla win7, one is used for downloads and writing usb drives, and the last is for installing gnu/linux distros. See how many distros could be downloaded, written to usb, and installed/updated before windows was fully updated. Probably run out of distros first. You could then learn LFS, and see if that gets installed before windows is done...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The "fish" meal on American Airlines was horrible. I ate plenty of cheap meals (economy class) from different airlines (domestic and international) before and it was the worse one. Oh, and AA, where did you get those female flight attendants? Museums or AARP? Talk about oldies and not goodies

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The latest Win 10 update came with nagware about setting up OneDrive. I looked up how to get rid of the nags and the recommendations don't address the latest iteration. I've got readable files from 1989 and Microsoft thinks I need the cloud to safeguard my data?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The "fish" meal on American Airlines was horrible. I ate plenty of cheap meals (economy class) from different airlines (domestic and international) before and it was the worse one. Oh, and AA, where did you get those female flight attendants? Museums or AARP? Talk about oldies and not goodies

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I've been very happy with Win 10. Sure there are some things I had to shut off, but it's very fast and snappy and stable.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Bad fish and past due flight attendants. There's a joke in there somewhere but I'm not going in to look for it w/o protection.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had to drive 35 minutes each way to go to Costco to get my prescriptions because while I can walk to a Duane Reade/Walgreens in 5 minutes for some reason the same drugs there cost hundreds more. Not like I don't like Costco, I love Costco, but I don't like the drive.

Haven't hit the deductible on my insurance yet, when that happens I'll try Duane Reade again.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A bottle of scorpion sauce fell out of the fridge and broke. After cleaning it up and taking a shower, my hand feels like it's on fire.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
^Sounds like you should have cleaned your private areas extensively while in the shower...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Had to deal with a retard which was upsetting by itself, then some other fucking idiot inserted herself into the situation and made it all about her causing even more trouble.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
2% rewards credit card allows me to cash out at $50 increments.
with the latest billing statement today, I'm at $49.88. :(

uuggg... gota wait a whole month to cash out.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Holy Fuck! Installing update 177 of 224. I think I left it at update 132. What the hell is it doing?!

It would be amusing to have three identical computers setup. One to install vanilla win7, one is used for downloads and writing usb drives, and the last is for installing gnu/linux distros. See how many distros could be downloaded, written to usb, and installed/updated before windows was fully updated. Probably run out of distros first. You could then learn LFS, and see if that gets installed before windows is done...

That would make a fun youtube video actually. :D

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Lost my Roku 4 remote in the move and the Roku 3 remote doesn't work with it. The phone app only works if it's configured for WiFi, but it was hardwired at my old place, so the app can't find it.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
My new 55" tv is too big for the shelf I put it on so the sides are behind the support columns. I'm only losing about an inch on either side so it shouldn't be an issue but I really should have planned it better.

Feb 25, 2011
I finally tried using the Fitbit I got a while back for some work fitness promotion. Cost me $125 bucks at the time. Sat on a shelf for a while - way past any return policy or warranty afaik. (And it's not like I still have the receipt or anything.)

I had it working for about ten minutes, and it was kinda neat, but it tried to update its firmware and got hosed - now it's stuck in a reboot loop. It'll get as far as showing the time, but then crashes and reboots, and shows the splash screen (v122) again and again.

I was interested enough that I bought a used one (same model) on eBay for $45. It came today, even though it wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow (the seller is just the next state over, so that's not uncommon.)

It works fine, except it's got the (older? Presumably older.) white-on-black screen on it, instead of the brighter blue LED one that my newer one has. (had?) Also, it's black instead of blue, so it's not as chic. It's got v64 firmware installed, and it will STAY THAT WAY.

So I spent $170 on a fitbit, like a motherfucking boss. Would rather have spent it on a trash can.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Lost my Roku 4 remote in the move and the Roku 3 remote doesn't work with it. The phone app only works if it's configured for WiFi, but it was hardwired at my old place, so the app can't find it.
That's weird - why would the phone app care if the Roku is on Wifi - shouldn't it just matter if they're on the same subnet for mDNS to work?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I made homemade Frostys. However, the recipe made like...5 quarts of Frosty. I have absolutely no idea what to do with the rest of it. I don't think it will freeze well. I'd hate to funnel it down the drain. I've already pawned as much onto my family as possible. I've never been in this situation before. What do you do with an excess of Frostys when its 31F out & all of your meatspace friends are asleep? RIP, delicious batch of diabetes. Recipe:

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Wendy-Chocolate-Frosty-Recipe-35304956

It's just 3 ingredients:

1. A can of sweetened condensed milk
2. Half a gallon of chocolate milk
3. An 8oz tub of Cool Whip (thawed)

Get a giant mixing bowl, whisk up the condensed milk & chocolate milk, and then whisk in the Cool Whip (I used an electric hand mixer because mine wasn't fully thawed, but you don't want to over-beat the Cool Whip because then it won't have that fluffy Wendy's texture). Then just throw it in an ice cream machine for 20 or 30 minutes. Best model imo is the ICE-30BC: (requires you to freeze the bowl overnight, but has a larger 2-quart capacity)

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/

The recipe is spot-on...taste, texture, everything. Nailed it. Delicious. But I would make like...a third of a batch next time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
- mouse starts acting like I decreased the PPI
- screen resolution drops on its own from 2560x1080 to 1024x768
- device manager says the GTX 1060 has error code 43 and has been disabled
- screen becomes wacky, all text is no longer legible but otherwise PC still functions.
- try safe mode - have to dig out old PS/2 keyboard to select it, since wireless keyboard doesn't work pre-windows boot.
- can't even start in safe mode due to freeze at boot
- swap out GPU to old Radeon and same freeze at win logon
- following a YT video, run some backup of the system32\config folder and let re-create, still freezes
- bang head on desk
- remove 2 sticks of replacement RAM from many months ago and can finally boot.
- GTX 1060 works fine and shows no problems
- re-place 1 RAM stick back and ok for now (watch the other one be ok too when I try tomorrow)

Random PC problems blow.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I hate troubleshoot problems when it's my production machine - I just want it to work, I had nightmares originally when I switched to Linux. really weird glichyness and constant lockups. Turned out to be the video card, who would have thought. I had two of the same card and they both had the issue, so it was the driver for that specific card that was an issue. Interestingly the windows version of that driver crashed a lot too. The screens would flicker off and back on and there would be a message that the video driver crashed. WTH? never seen that before. I eventually got another card for the Linux machine and all the weird issues went away. But the steps to finally arrive at that conclusion were long and painful. I kept thinking it was ram or the motherboard and stuff or maybe just the distro itself and tried a lot of things before figuring to try the video card.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I hate troubleshoot problems when it's my production machine - I just want it to work, I had nightmares originally when I switched to Linux. really weird glichyness and constant lockups. Turned out to be the video card, who would have thought. I had two of the same card and they both had the issue, so it was the driver for that specific card that was an issue. Interestingly the windows version of that driver crashed a lot too. The screens would flicker off and back on and there would be a message that the video driver crashed. WTH? never seen that before. I eventually got another card for the Linux machine and all the weird issues went away. But the steps to finally arrive at that conclusion were long and painful. I kept thinking it was ram or the motherboard and stuff or maybe just the distro itself and tried a lot of things before figuring to try the video card.

I just had GPU problems on my Hackintosh, which got super weird because the BIOS POST screen started getting pixelated. That's when I figured it had to be the GPU, because I've never seen a BIOS screen wig out like that before. RIP ye old faithful GTX470 :(

Reactions: poofyhairguy