What first world problem did you have today?

Page 470 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Had to shovel and scrape off the car with windchill blasting me in the face to get to Rogue One tonight. :(

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Idiots can not drive around here. A few days ago, a fool in a big truck almost rear ended me (he passed onto the middle turn lane at the last second). Yesterday, a female fool drove so slow on the left lane, I drove side by side with her and of course, she was on the phone and texting and driving with her knees.

Grrrrrrrrrr....

Some people deserved to be drug by their own damn cars!

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
That happens sometimes with my kippered herring, and I spend the rest of the day smelling like a Korean whorehouse :^(

The trick is to rock the lid for the last 25%, but it takes longer, and I'm sometimes impatient.

BAHAHAHA!

Yeah, I hate that shit with fish snacks. I am really careful with those. Otherwise you will smell like shit.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Stupid piece of shit KVM started acting up again. It won't give me keyboard or mouse access on the windows machine. After switching back and forth a bunch of time, unplugging/unplugging stuff I can usually get it going again but don't feel like dealing with that shit right now.

Seriously, why can't anyone make a KVM that is reliable? Pisses me off that everything is so crappy these days. I just want something that works.

Would this work? https://symless.com/synergy/

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

That's not what it's for, but I do use it for my triple monitor setup. It crashes all the freaking time though, one of these days I need to go through the source code and figure out the basics, then rewrite a more streamlined version of it.

The KVM is so I can go between two physical systems. Needs to be "system" level access and not rely on software. Ex: if I need to get to BIOS etc.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Need a Darth Revan figure but he's sold out everywhere online. It sounds silly, but I need him for emotional reasons.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A key component of my death ray is supposed to be delivered today according to Amazon. I also note that the piece hasn't yet shipped. In my mind, Amazon's situational awareness is suspect at the moment.

Edit: Upon more careful inspection of the shipping status page I note that Amazon stated an expected delivery date of "Dec 15" but did not specify a year so technically they aren't wrong. As I ordered the item on Dec 05, I suspect that, contrary to what was posted on the item description page, Amazon doesn't have the item in stock or can't find it (it's rather small).
Amazon now says the part will not get here until next Friday. This is really cutting it close to inauguration day Christmas.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The free cake from the office was ok. I want a cheesecake, darn it. <1st world entitlement> :)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Looking for the First Sale Doctrine in Canada... can't officially find it, some places saying it's not codified. In contrast, got an effing 2013 Supreme Court case in the United States I can refer to.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I just taste tested 3 spices trying to figure out what the third, unlabeled one is. I think it's ground cardamom... what the hell does cardamom taste like?

It tasted like finely ground nuts. Pretty bland. Looks like I'll have to buy another sack to compare...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
After amassing the most pimped out shit conceivable, I decisively defeated Ganon, king of darkness. But upon starting a master quest I found my saved file with the most badass arsenal in Hyrule had been disarmingly overwritten. All I have now is the same old three hearts and some crappy ass wooden sword the same as I started with a month ago. *sigh* :(

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Long day at work, brain is fried. Bunch of shows in my que to watch on Netflix etc. but that required too much mental effort. Neffing myself to sleep instead :p

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It tasted like finely ground nuts. Pretty bland. Looks like I'll have to buy another sack to compare...

When I first got into spices, I grew a library of around 50 little bottles or so over the years. It was a huge step up from the salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash system I was used to, but was still lacking in the strong flavors I was after. Then I met a chef who specialized in spicing foods. What a gamechanger that was. Biggest thing I learned is that, generally-speaking, the maximum potency for a spice is one month after grinding. Over time, I acquired a small coffee grinder specifically for grinding spices, a zester-grater (basically a jumbo microplane), and a large dehydrator for making my own. I'm nowhere near the level I'd like to be at with spices, but it's definitely upped my flavor game. I don't make everything myself tho, stuff like garlic salt I still buy off-the-shelf. I also have a really excellent spice shop 30 minutes away with a very knowledgeable owner. If you ever want to really dig into spices, The Flavor Bible is an awesome book on the topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400/

Before I became a foodie, I kind of glossed over the fact that the whole reason America was 'discovered' by Columbus was because of the spice trade. Never really clicked for me. I think really flavorful foods has been lost in America. MSG, sugar, and processed ingredients with artificial flavorings have filled the gap by way of convenience foods like fast food & junk food. Not that that's bad, but having a meal with proper spicing is just awesome. The spice chef I know has small hosted dinners a few times a year that I go to & they have been some of the best stuff I've ever put in my mouth. It's amazing how much good-tasting food can affect the quality of your life!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
So, I did some more research and realized there was no way I paid for 400 grams of the third most expensive spice in the world -- cordamom. It may just be ground cumin.

Oh, and I found out the more common, cheap version of cinnamon (cassia) is toxic and can fuxxorz one's kidney/liver. What the fuck. I was going to shovel a tablespoon into my coffee to use it up. Even a teaspoon may exceed the recommended daily intake. Bla bla no soy el doctoro -- not a doctor.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It is cloudy and I need to wash my vehicle and do laundry and then do Christmas shopping but I feel so lazy now. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa........ :)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I don't understand how the hell we bought 400 grams (16 ounces?) of ground cumin.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have my CC set to autopay for the statement balance amount. I generally go in the day before the due date and just pay the whole balance (personal preference). Autopay doesn't provide a full balance payment option. Making the manual payment automatically cancels the autopay payment for that statement period except it didn't this time. So I made two payments this month. I keep a very low balance in checking. Good thing I checked the CC balance this morning to see what was happening or I'd be eating an overdraft charge. No damage, just annoying.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I like how my current bank does overdraft, instead of having overdraft as a separate service that has it's own separate interest, it just goes negative. Then at midnight it transfers money from the credit line.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
One of my chestnuts exploded in the toaster oven with enough force to blow the door open. It virtually vaporized o_O. I scored the tops of all the nuts. That one must have had a big water pocket or something.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Well, I had dinner around 8pm. At around 10pm, something don't feel right.

Edit: I attacked the shitter four times. Pretty sure it was the supermarket, open fridge deli sandwiches I had for lunch. I give you cold cuts, cheese, and lettuce. Not sure about cheese but cold cuts and uncooked "salad" are food poisoning magnets.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeJay1952

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Everyone should get a YouTube account and post at least one video. You really lose your faith in humanity quickly when the comments start flowing -- not only can some people not read, they get angry over nothing.

What I've learned: don't try to use nuance, sarcasm, or "advanced grammar" like quotation marks. And if the video clearly shows it's 30 seconds long before playing, people will bitch about it being short.