What first world problem did you have today?

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I just got a PS4 pro but I don't have a 4k tv. I have a 1080p projector, 4k is too expensive and I have a 50" KRP-500m(1080p) in another room that I will probably never replace until it breaks cause it is so good. So I need to wait until a good 4k projector is affordable.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Ill second this

Yeah and the thing is, I don't know exactly what the core issue is. Partly laziness. Partly whining. Partly, I think, is lack of perspective, which isn't entirely their fault. I work with various HR departments as part of my IT responsibilities, which involves interviewing & hiring people with technical skills. Especially for young people, they just have absolutely no idea how much of a huge advantage they have being able to use a computer fluently...typing, using Office, navigating the web...you'd think that'd be old hat by now since we've had this crap since like Windows 95, but that is absolutely not the case. A huge section of the workforce still struggles with that stuff, especially in the 40+ age group, so for them to keep up in business functions requires a lot of training & frustration (for the non-technical ones). I'm literally still teaching people how to do stuff like copy & paste and how folders work. I mean sure, if you're in a hotspot like NYC or Silicon Valley where there's a wicked amount of competition, then yes, you'll need to be at the top of your game, but outside of that, pretty much everywhere I've lived, the younger generation just has such a huge technological advantage & has no idea that it's even important, especially for getting a job.

That coupled with some basic business & social skills and you've got a home run just about anywhere you apply for work. I've had people come in late, not have their resumes, come in the next day, not call, etc. The foundation of working is not that hard...you do your required actions (fixing computers, building parts, whatever your job is) & you keep people in the loop, so even if you're behind schedule or whatever, at least you're keeping them on top of the situation. Combine that with the basic technical skills of being able to google stuff, use Word & Excel, and type well, and millions of job opportunities open up for you. I think a lot of kids today don't realize just how powerful those base technical skills are in the workforce. Yeah it might not be your dream job doing data entry or being a secretary or whatever, but it pays the bills for now & that's important for a lot of people who need jobs.

Like I said, I don't really buy into all of this complaining about Millennials that the news is going on & on about. Every generation has whiners. What's really happening is that access to job information has been democratized, so companies can't take advantage of people to the same degree as before. I can't find the exact article I was reading about on "how to manage Millenials in the workforce", but here's a similar one:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/3-truths-about-millennials-that-will-change-the-way-you-manage-them

They point out 3 things:

1. They ask why
2. They like startup culture
3. They like constant feedback

Well duh. If you can hop on Monster or Indeed or Career Builder & find a new, better job in 10 seconds, you better be prepared to do something to keep your talent at your company. Plus you've got Glassdoor for job pricing, LinkedIn for networking, etc. So yeah...it's no longer a dictatorship where your boss' word is law, without question...people have creative ideas that can really help out companies, if they're willing to listen instead of just being stoic about it. The startup culture thing I think is important too...I see my co-workers more than I see my wife. I've worked at places that are disheartening to work at day after day & it's no fun. Work doesn't have to be hardcore, rote boringness, you can make your workplace fun & interesting if you really want to. Look at Google...free food, volleyball games, you get a portion of your time for personal projects...lo & behold they're one of the biggest companies on the planet because people freaking love working for them. And yeah, the constant feedback thing...I mean the kids are growing up with social media, so you're constantly getting feedback from Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. Even though it's kind of silly, from a human perspective, it's just as nice to get feedback as a worker as it is to keep your boss in the loop on your projects.

So I don't really know what the root cause is, but it irks me when I hear it lol.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Craigslister flaked on me.

But I got GUMMY MULTI-VITAMINS. Fuck you, bitter, regular, giant sized vitamins.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Going through my local library's website where you get live "stock" updates. Wow, the stuff people place holds/reservations on is interesting. What's with the popularity of all the fitness videos?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Going through my local library's website where you get live "stock" updates. Wow, the stuff people place holds/reservations on is interesting. What's with the popularity of all the fitness videos?

I borrowed a fitness dvd from the library, now I can put a check mark on my get fit new year resolution.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The subway train ahead of mine is going slow as molasses, which means my train is putzing too. I'm already late for work as it is.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A key component of my death ray is supposed to be delivered today according to Amazon. I also note that the piece hasn't yet shipped. In my mind, Amazon's situational awareness is suspect at the moment.

Edit: Upon more careful inspection of the shipping status page I note that Amazon stated an expected delivery date of "Dec 15" but did not specify a year so technically they aren't wrong. As I ordered the item on Dec 05, I suspect that, contrary to what was posted on the item description page, Amazon doesn't have the item in stock or can't find it (it's rather small).

Feb 25, 2011
I had to walk across a freezing parking lot into the other building to get a new work laptop. I was, like, cold for a second there.

ra1nman

Dec 9, 2007
The eye pieces on my Luxo microscope are freezing. When i'm looking through the scope for extended periods, it makes my nose cold...

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I went to buy a wee gift for the wife at the local pawn shop and forgot my debit card, so I had to use hers.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Idiots can not drive around here. A few days ago, a fool in a big truck almost rear ended me (he passed onto the middle turn lane at the last second). Yesterday, a female fool drove so slow on the left lane, I drove side by side with her and of course, she was on the phone and texting and driving with her knees.

Grrrrrrrrrr....

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Idiots can not drive around here. A few days ago, a fool in a big truck almost rear ended me (he passed onto the middle turn lane at the last second). Yesterday, a female fool drove so slow on the left lane, I drove side by side with her and of course, she was on the phone and texting and driving with her knees.

Grrrrrrrrrr....
A girl that can drive and text with her knees is the kind of girl I'd like to meet.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Opened a can of Bush's Best pork and beans for lunch, didn't get any pork. :eek:

00039400019626_full.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We have our fair share of bad drivers here too. But seeing videos of down south is when I realize it's not THAT bad here. This one actually made me mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

The guy is eggong on the Comcast guy, but those drivers are to blame for driving WAY too fast for conditions. Comcast guy probably should have put more cones further ahead but if people learned how to drive that would not be needed.

The problem here is probably more road rage than bad driving. If you're not doing at least 10 over the speed limit, even in bad conditions, people start to tailgate. People also get mad if you can't take off fast enough at a red light. The other day I was going home from work after night shift and as the light turned green the car in front of me starting going at a slightly slower than normal pace but nothing unusual. Guy behind me just starts leaning on the horn. What am I suppose to do run into the guy? lol

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Opened a can of Bush's Best pork and beans for lunch, didn't get any pork. :eek:

00039400019626_full.jpg

LOL for some reason that reminds me of a time when I still lived at my parents' and mom made a beef stew. I was eating it and thinking to myself she should have put more meat in it but I'm not going to say anything. My dad gets home from work and starts to help himself out of the crock pot and is like "do I get a prize if I find meat in here?".

Reactions: Kaido

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I borrowed a fitness dvd from the library, now I can put a check mark on my get fit new year resolution.

You laugh but that's probably the reason...

And some fucktard hoarder I know decided to pick someone's vibrator out of the garbage. He may have been using it as a massage wand. Then he wonders why he's sick all the time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I had Hormel microwave chili for lunch:
HormelChiliwBeans.jpg

It's good stuff (especially with some squirts of Tabasco sauce) but I FUCKING HATE pulling off that damn metal lid before microwaving it. It seems like no matter how careful I am, when I come to the end of pulling it off it'll snap and cause specks of chili to go flying; today they flew onto my shirt. Thankfully they happened to be very small spots and I have a Tide pen in my desk anyway. But still. It's just a shitty fuckin deal in my opinion. FML

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had Hormel microwave chili for lunch:
It's good stuff (especially with some squirts of Tabasco sauce) but I FUCKING HATE pulling off that damn metal lid before microwaving it. It seems like no matter how careful I am, when I come to the end of pulling it off it'll snap and cause specks of chili to go flying; today they flew onto my shirt. Thankfully they happened to be very small spots and I have a Tide pen in my desk anyway. But still. It's just a shitty fuckin deal in my opinion. FML
That happens sometimes with my kippered herring, and I spend the rest of the day smelling like a Korean whorehouse :^(

The trick is to rock the lid for the last 25%, but it takes longer, and I'm sometimes impatient.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always thought those things were odd because they are made for the microwave but have METAL on them. I used to get chef boyardee ones until I had one explode in the microwave. The rim got hot enough and the plastic lid got sucked on, sealing it then boom. Is it a good idea to microwave this? Apparently not. :p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That happens sometimes with my kippered herring, and I spend the rest of the day smelling like a Korean whorehouse :^(

The trick is to rock the lid for the last 25%, but it takes longer, and I'm sometimes impatient.

LOL, yeah I did rock the lid but it still shat on me. But rocking does help, I think last time it didn't shoot anything off but it depends on if there's any chili/material on the underside of the lid too.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Stupid piece of shit KVM started acting up again. It won't give me keyboard or mouse access on the windows machine. After switching back and forth a bunch of time, unplugging/unplugging stuff I can usually get it going again but don't feel like dealing with that shit right now.

Seriously, why can't anyone make a KVM that is reliable? Pisses me off that everything is so crappy these days. I just want something that works.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I went to a forum that's usually offensive as hell and found a discussion more balanced and civil than anywhere else on the same subject...