What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1065 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I use capslock all the time. I have it set as a compose key. Inferior operating systems don't have compose keys, so you probably aren't familiar ;^)
Or I remember ascii codes and just type it in with alt+numpad. I ain't senile.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Or I remember ascii codes and just type it in with alt+numpad. I ain't senile.
That's fine if you only need a couple, even though it doubles the number of keystrokes, but you don't remember a couple dozen different alt codes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's fine if you only need a couple, even though it doubles the number of keystrokes, but you don't remember a couple dozen different alt codes.
I learned WP so keyboard shortcuts are no big deal. Hell I remember keyboards that had printed WP shortcuts just above the F keys, with multiple pages.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
An app I downloaded for a local takeout restaurant refuses to run if USB debugging is enabled on my phone. It says it has detected that USB debugging is enabled and that USB debugging could compromise my phone's security. Why the fuck does a local takeout place app care about that?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
An app I downloaded for a local takeout restaurant refuses to run if USB debugging is enabled on my phone. It says it has detected that USB debugging is enabled and that USB debugging could compromise my phone's security. Why the fuck does a local takeout place app care about that?
Maybe there are bugs in the food?

• Love

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I guess I'll have to take the keyboard apart some time and see if I can fix it.
Fixed it, and I didn't have to take the keyboard apart. A sharp smack got the key working again. I guess a bit of crud got down inside. Compose key is set back to capslock where it belongs. Keyboard does pretty well for a ~35 year old piece of hardware. Not sure exactly how old it is cause the sticker fell off :^D

• Wow

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They don't want you to find out they are spying on you.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Did a brain fart move with the DMM and put it across the battery terminals on current mode and blew the fuse.

The replacement cost is $123. :eek: I'm finding knockoffs on Amazon for cheaper so it's tempting to just go that route... They look like the same thing, and for all I know might even be made in the same factory anyway. Honestly I'm surprised my bonehead move was not more catastrophic than that, as far as I can tell I did not damage the meter so the fuse did it's job. I just saw a bit of sparks and then it dawned on me, I was probing the completely wrong thing. 🤦‍♂️

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A warning message now appears at the top of one of our database screens:
Please DO NOT use "<" and ">" special characters in the "requirements" input.
These characters prevent requests from going to [the automated inter-database transfer utility] which has down stream affects within [the grand database of everything] and other integrated systems, including employee work assignments not being recorded in the permanent [payroll] records.

Functionally, this means that using the < and > characters in an unrelated database miraculously destroys the payroll audit trail used for client billing. WTF? Time spent posting the warning should have been spent scrubbing the data inputs.

1711546168738.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ordered doritos loco SUPREME combo, the supreme is important, supposed to come with sour creme and tomato bits added. NOPE. Just "regular" doritos nachos locos tacos.

Which aren't bad,btw. Just if I pay the extra for Supreme add-ons, I would like my add-ons.
Please, taco bell?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bought a 48v Eltek rectifier shelf a while back as I had been eyeing 48v rectifiers for a while and this one was a good deal. I went to rack it today and realized it won't work at all in my rack. The ears are too far in as it's made for a 2 post telecom rack, and I anticipated it would still work since my rack has some mounting points that are further in as well, so the ears do meet up at that location, the problem is there is no physical way to get the screwdriver in there to actually bolt it in because the rest of the rectifier is in the way. Something I totally did not factor in my thinking originally when I bought it. After manhandling it for a while and trying to get it in that's when I realized it was futile. So plan B was to bend in the rack ears and set it on top of some universal rails and just not bolt it in but then I realized that doesn't work either since the DC cables come out of the side, and the universal rail blocks the exit.

So now I'm basically back to the drawing board as far as my power upgrade plans go. I may need to just put it in the battery room which is going to be in the crawlspace. I was not planing on making an actual battery room, and just a vented battery box, but guess that will change. I might just extend the server room into that portion of the crawlspace and then close it in completely. The rectifier shelf can just sit on a table next to the batteries. In a way maybe this is better, as it keeps all the DC power stuff in one area and I will save money on cabling.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The thermostat at the office is busted. The repair dude took it with him when he went to find a replacement. The AC is running continuously. Temperature is in the 50s and falling.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That's almost a Kitler!
It's Ollie reincarnated

Dj89tnSWsAA6wu8.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm finally going to say it. Why on the AT forums, when you get to the bottom of the thread, is there not a permanent menu hyperlink so you can just click on the parent forum name and get right back to that page? Why do you have to scroll up all the way? If you've been going through multiple pages of a thread, simply pressing the back button once is not an option.