what exactly does a falafel taste like?

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
my local sub shop has a falafel and hummus wrap that looks good, but i'm weary to try it since i've never had that before.... any accurate descriptions of its taste?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
It has it's own unique taste (to me doesn't taste like anything else). So I will say it tastes like a Falafel.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I had a taste once a while back. I can't describe it beyond "I didn't spit it out."

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
unless you have some medical condition where some food causes you to become ill why don't you just buy and taste, its just a falafel

i think its corn i may be wrong, in either case its like a much thicker tortilla

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
falafel tastes like a vegetarian meatball....its kind of grainy. Not bad if its done right. Hummus is like vegetable dip, except grainy and with more olive oil flavor. Both are made from chickpeas. I like hummus more than falafel but both aren't bad.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Both use chickpeas. So if you are allergic to those, don't eat it. If you aren't, eat it.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Hmm, the closest thing I can say it tastes like is um... hmm... :confused:

If I figure it out, I'll edit this post.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau
Originally posted by: illustri
unless you have some medical condition where some food causes you to become ill why don't you just buy and taste, its just a falafel

i think its corn i may be wrong, in either case its like a much thicker tortilla

Actually, it has no corn it... ;)

http://www.theepicentre.com/Recipes/mfalafel.html

ah chickpeas very good,
im thinking why didnt i just search like you before posting

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Fausto

Nope, it's a ball of spiced fried chickpeas. Tastes kinda like a nutty hush puppy or something. Good stuff.

WTF? A nutty hush puppy? Is that what you get when you wear your slippers out side and step in some squirel sh!t?

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001

Nope, it's a ball of spiced fried chickpeas. Tastes kinda like a nutty hush puppy or something. Good stuff.

WTF? A nutty hush puppy? Is that what you get when you wear your slippers out side and step in some squirel sh!t?

yea and he knows what it tastes like

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
<sigh> Falafel has nothing to do with corn, unless, of course, you wrap it in a corn tortilla (weird). It's a mash of chick peas and spices (typically parsley, lemon juice, garlic, etc) which is formed into balls and (deep) fried. It's often served as a "sandwich", that is, in a piece of pocket pita bread, with some salad components (lettuce, tomato, etc) and tahini sauce (based on sesame paste). A good falafel sandwich is one of the tastiest things this world has to offer, but too many of them will harden your arteries.

There was an Iraqi who ran a restaurant on Tiemann Place in NYC who would grill the falafel mash (==> arteries don't harden :D) but his place was shutdown by the evil landlord because the dude was an activist for tenant's rights in the area. Too bad, as his grilled falafel was awesome -- he'd even make the pita himself on the spot.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

I couldn't think of how else to describe it. I mean, it's a ball of chickpeas, spices and doughy stuff that's fried so it's like a hushpuppy with more of a nutty/grainy flavor.

I'm just trying to help.

:brokenheart:

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
a nutty hush puppy is a very accurate description, fausto. A hush puppy is a fried piece of corn meal shaped in a ball. A falafel is fried chickpeas. So think of a sub or wrap where the filling is hushpuppies and you got the idea.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com

I couldn't think of how else to describe it. I mean, it's a ball of chickpeas, spices and doughy stuff that's fried so it's like a hushpuppy with more of a nutty/grainy flavor.

I'm just trying to help.

:brokenheart:

Ok... whatever... I'll just remember to keep my slippers away from you. ;)

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
it's like a graint vegetarian meatball, as has been said, and I think it's disgusting. tastes like a ball of chili powder. That's it, just a ball of spices. Nasty, if you ask me. Now hummus, on the other hand, is excellent.... yum!

robh23

Banned
Jan 28, 2004
felafel has chickpeas shreadded mixed with herbs and seasoning and usually some spices for some kick and taste, its deep fried. hummous is ground chickpeas with sessame seed paste, salt and i think some spice or other. i like eating both, go for it! a bit of red oinion in the salad is good too.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: robh23
felafel has chickpeas shreadded mixed with herbs and seasoning and usually some spices for some kick and taste, its deep fried. hummous is ground chickpeas with sessame seed paste, salt and i think some spice or other. i like eating both, go for it! a bit of red oinion in the salad is good too.

Hummus does not always have sesame paste (tahini) in it, FYI.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: oboeguy
<sigh> Falafel has nothing to do with corn, unless, of course, you wrap it in a corn tortilla (weird). It's a mash of chick peas and spices (typically parsley, lemon juice, garlic, etc) which is formed into balls and (deep) fried. It's often served as a "sandwich", that is, in a piece of pocket pita bread, with some salad components (lettuce, tomato, etc) and tahini sauce (based on sesame paste). A good falafel sandwich is one of the tastiest things this world has to offer, but too many of them will harden your arteries.

The traditional way is tahini sauce, which is very very good. A place around here does them with cucumber sauce, kind of like a creamy salad dressing. Those are good too, but the way I like them best is with the regular tahini and a light drizzling of the cucumber sauce. Yum.

No matter how it's garnished, the secret to a good falafel is the mix of spices used in the patty and how it's cooked. If the falafel balls are underseasoned and undercooked, it's a bland, textureless mess. When the mix is highly spiced and cooked until crispy, served in a soft fresh pita and garnished with the right toppings, they can be amazingly delicious. They're pretty hard to describe because when done properly they don't really taste like anything else, but you should try one Spooner. If it sucks, try one from a different place. Finding a good falafel is like finding good Chinese take-out or a good pizze place. You might have some failures along the way, but it's worth the effort.