what does it mean when the phone says "all circuits are busy"?

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
i just made a call to someone, and it rang like three times and the recording said "All circuits are busy. please try again later."

what does that mean?

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
It means that they saw you touching yourself last night, and they are NOT happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Others have had a vacation for such humor.

Interested in a cruise?

Mod

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
The analog phone system is based on circuit switching... i.e., each call uses the entire bandwidth of one circuit. So, if a lot of people make a call at the same time, there literally are not enough lines for every call.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
There are only so many available swithes in any given area and if enough people are calling at one time you can overtax the system and you simply need to wait a little while. This usually only happens during emergencies when there is much larger than normal phone traffic for any given area. It happens to me occasionally. Not a problem.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
It means they dropped your call for no reason whatsoever.

Geez, what do you think it means? You think it might mean that just maybe, possibly, all of their circuits are busy, and that you should try again later?

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

Geez, what do you think it means? You think it might mean that just maybe, possibly, all of their circuits are busy, and that you should try again later?

and by circuits i wanted to know if the phone i called was busy or the company was busy or what.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
There's a masked message in that recording that says you need to buy a demon dialer. Hehehe anyone remember those? People used them to bust in to win radio station contests. :)

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
it means something big and terrible is happening in your area and everyone is panicking and making their calls at the same time, overloading the circuits. :p

ajscottsr

May 9, 2006
Originally posted by: iskim86
i just made a call to someone, and it rang like three times and the recording said "All circuits are busy. please try again later."

what does that mean?

I think everyone completely missed it...

Sorry iskim86, you deserve a good answer.

It means all circuits are busy. please try again later.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: iskim86
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

and by circuits i wanted to know if the phone i called was busy or the company was busy or what.

99% of the time it means that the PSTN is too busy to route your call. The other 1% of the time is large companies using PBXs that run the 'all circuits busy' messages when they are internally unable to properly route or complete a call.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: OFFascist
It means the circuits, all of them, well they are busy.

But does that mean the circuits are busy and he should try his call at a later time?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
There's a masked message in that recording that says you need to buy a demon dialer. Hehehe anyone remember those? People used them to bust in to win radio station contests. :)

Heheh, when I was "load testing" the voip PBX that I built for my last employer I wrote a script to utilize all 23 lines of the T1 PRI to win at radio stations, and to get football tickets. Normally you have to call for 4-5 hours to get through for the football tickets, but I got through 16 times in less than 10 minutes. I had the automated system on hold on 4 or 5 lines at a time heh. The best part is since it's all digital, the PRI determined if the line was busy 3-4 seconds before you would have heard the busy tone and disconnected the line, then began dialing again. Each line was dialing about once a second :D