What do you guys do with your old video cards?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: shadowofthesun
I throw them in the garage or in an old rig. Never know when the urge to play old games will kick in :)

I don't throw anything away. Probably a bad habit. Still have Rage era chips (my first PC, before that they were all macs)

EDIT:
4mb add-on ram pack

RAM as in system RAM or VRAM? Never heard of upgradable VRAM before :confused:

Yeah, old cards used to have them. I had an old trident card that had upgradable ram slots in it.

I did keep one of my cards though, my canopus pure3d voodoo1. I dunno why, I played a lot of fun games with it.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I tend to use them in my older rigs and to upgrade family members PC's....but at the rate I upgrade things now, usually every 6 to 8 months, I'm ending up with a decent stockpile of parts sitting in boxes everywhere.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I try to sell them but I have a few of them lying around at the moment.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: shadowofthesun
I throw them in the garage or in an old rig. Never know when the urge to play old games will kick in :)

I don't throw anything away. Probably a bad habit. Still have Rage era chips (my first PC, before that they were all macs)

EDIT:
4mb add-on ram pack

RAM as in system RAM or VRAM? Never heard of upgradable VRAM before :confused:

Ya, VRAM I guess. The Matrox had a connector to accomodate a small add-on board to increase the total on the card. It was quite the waste because the Mystique was a pretty poor performer compared to the 3Dfx Voodoo's and nVidia Riva series, although it had better 2-D. I was such a noob back then, and had absolutely no gammer friends for input.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
I usually sell them, but not sure if I can do that this time around since well, my X1900XT isn't exactly in it's "original" condition . . . :D

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I try to resell mine. I had an GeForce 4 MX4000 (sold to my brother), then a 6600GT (sold to my brother), then now my X850XT (want to sell to a friend) but I'm not sure what to get yet. I'll probably wait until Q3 though.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Usually its trickle down if available, otherwise sell them. My V32k was sold to a friend, my GF1 DDR was sold to a friend, my GF3 was sold with the entire system, my 9600 Pro went into my sister's computer, my 6800GT was sold with the system, and my X1900XT is currently facing the prospect of being sold in favor up an upgrade. Not sure what I want to upgrade too. The R600 keeps getting delayed, and 8800s are yesterday's tech. Fortunately, the X1900XT is plenty fast enough to allow me to wait until the R600 is released and the 8900 launches.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I upgrade my older PCs with them,some are boxed away and I have been known to give my old hardware away to charity.