What do you do to make extra money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
i have a couple of businesses on the side.

customized candy labels
and peddling a cookbook i had published.

Customized candy labels? What is that?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: hoyaguru

customized candy labels

I do them for party favors at birthdays, wedding receptions, and what not.

Here is one I did for my grandpa's 80th birthday party.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Self-maintaining community websites. Advertising money can be quite lucrative.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Rob9874
I know you said your wife does it, but eBay. Garage sales Fri/Sat, buy things for $5 or less, list on Sunday (7 day) and sell for a profit. The longer you do it, the better you'll get at finding things that will make a nice profit.

Do you enjoy doing it? I work full time and it seems you'd have to enjoy doing something like that since it eats your weekend...

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I do IT consulting on the side. Only make $35/hr and work about 10 hours per month. It's the same place that I did consulting for in college so I don't charge them much.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I work part time at an elementary school doing everything related to technology in my spare time.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Buy on eBay, sell on some site that makes people e-mail you to bid. That way, you're not obliged to sell for a lower price than you want to. I usually buy something for cheap, give the people a nice story and sell it for 2-3 times as much.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Pick up change off the ground in the most stingiest of all stingy ways.

I've probably found $100-200 dollars doing that. It's truly not worth the trouble of looking where I live.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Use your hobby - maybe nice decorative boxes for some kinds of items? Come up with something useful that can be a good gift - people are always looking for gifts that will actually be used and not just put to the side.

I read an article in the local paper around a year ago (S.F. Chronicle) about a guy who lives in my town (Berkeley) and he's making a LOT of money making bird houses, I believe. He started out really small and everything he'd make people would buy. He's a serious success story. Lots of people can't wait to get their hands on his stuff. As so often happens, it started out as a hobby. He had other means of support.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Muse
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Use your hobby - maybe nice decorative boxes for some kinds of items? Come up with something useful that can be a good gift - people are always looking for gifts that will actually be used and not just put to the side.

I read an article in the local paper around a year ago (S.F. Chronicle) about a guy who lives in my town (Berkeley) and he's making a LOT of money making bird houses, I believe. He started out really small and everything he'd make people would buy. He's a serious success story. Lots of people can't wait to get their hands on his stuff. As so often happens, it started out as a hobby. He had other means of support.

What's so special about his bird houses? Pics?

tgx78

Jan 18, 2005
I do oil paintings after work and sell them through local galleries.

Some month, I make more by selling paintings than my full time job as an art director.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
My wife does the Ebay thing as a hobby, I'm looking for something to do to make a few extra bucks. I have a full workshop with just about every tool I need to make almost anything out of wood, but I can't think of what I could make that people would buy. What do you folks do that makes you a bit of extra cash?

Bird houses. They sell well here.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

customized candy labels

I do them for party favors at birthdays, wedding receptions, and what not.

Here is one I did for my grandpa's 80th birthday party.

My cousin had that at his wedding, on Kit-Kats. I thought it was pretty slick :)

I do computer work. $100 to build a personal computer, $30 an hour for business work. My side business has dropped since I started going to school online, it was a lot better when I did stuff on my local campus, kids were always screwing things up ;) It's really about how aggressive you want to be...if you don't like face time with people it's a bit more difficult.

Nov 7, 2000
homosexual phone sex operator

register with a service, they will fwd the calls to your house

maybe you could run your power tools in the background, might be some guys thing

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Deliver local daily newspaper. I got 20 cents a paper m-f and 30 cents a paper sat and sun. I had ~80-120 papers weekdays/sat (took me less than 2 hours) to deliver w/ a car and on sunday I had 140 and took 3-4 hours. Not too bad for me.