What do you do to make extra money?

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
My wife does the Ebay thing as a hobby, I'm looking for something to do to make a few extra bucks. I have a full workshop with just about every tool I need to make almost anything out of wood, but I can't think of what I could make that people would buy. What do you folks do that makes you a bit of extra cash?

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I know you said your wife does it, but eBay. Garage sales Fri/Sat, buy things for $5 or less, list on Sunday (7 day) and sell for a profit. The longer you do it, the better you'll get at finding things that will make a nice profit.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
I buy/sell/trade masks and movie props and eBay also.

I have a pretty cool and unique mask I would like to sell....hwere should i look to do that?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
play poker. im not exactly ready to live off the game but i do well enough to have a few extra bucks for going out on the weekends.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
I am interested in this as well. I have done the Ebay thing, but only with items i have laying around the house.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
My wife does the Ebay thing as a hobby, I'm looking for something to do to make a few extra bucks. I have a full workshop with just about every tool I need to make almost anything out of wood, but I can't think of what I could make that people would buy. What do you folks do that makes you a bit of extra cash?

A friend of mine makes lawn ornaments and planters out of wood. Things like small ornamental wheel barrows that can hold a 1/2 ft3 of soil to plant a flower in. He displays them on his lawn and sells as many as he cares to make.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: D1gger
Originally posted by: hoyaguru

A friend of mine makes lawn ornaments and planters out of wood. Things like small ornamental wheel barrows that can hold a 1/2 ft3 of soil to plant a flower in. He displays them on his lawn and sells as many as he cares to make.

I tried something like that last year, purchased plans for a wishing well, built one and put it in the yard. Problem was, nobody wanted to pay more than the cost of the wood ($250, it was a 7' tall well).

How about computers or the internet, does anyone do anything online (again, besides Ebay) to make money? I'm not looking for a fortune, but I have some spare time on my hands and figured it's better to make some extra spending cash than playing computer games.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Use your hobby - maybe nice decorative boxes for some kinds of items? Come up with something useful that can be a good gift - people are always looking for gifts that will actually be used and not just put to the side.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
eBay and fix computers once in a while.

although i'm a lifer so i allegedly don't know anything about tech...

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
goto rentacoder.com or one of the other bid on project websites. There are things on them that require no coding knowledge whatsoever like review of papers or graphics work or something like that. There are a lot of skills that you probobly have that are out there for bidding. Check and see - i amek a good $500 on the side from projects (although msot of mine are coding projects)

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Transfer all of your money into an HSBC account @ 5%
Only have a small amount in checking and print a receipt
Show said receipt to your girlfriend/wife and have her pay for almost everything.

Cheers for a sugar momma.

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
I started a home theater installation business here recently on the side to generate extra profit

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Ask your mom...she practically bought that new car of mine out in the driveway. *points*

(substitute "dad" for "mom" when post concerns sonz70)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i have a couple of businesses on the side.

customized candy labels
and peddling a cookbook i had published.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
I rob banks....er I mean don't rob....I can't believe I said that...you see you have an inside voice and an outside voice, my inside voice just got outside. Gobble Gobble.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
i find various technology (mostly older computer parts) for cheap/free and sell them online. it's nowhere near enough to live on, but is perfect in addition to my side job and is basically my "nights out" fund...