What do you do for work? (serious)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Equipment operator for a commercial plumbing contractor. Day to day, I plan out and excavate the groundworks for commercial construction projects.
CDL driver to move equipment and materials.
I'll also act as a certified rigger on the hi rise jobs for any tower crane picks.
This company won't be using it, but I am also a crane operator.
Just picked this new mini excavator up last month.
newmini.jpg

I also repair and maintain the equipment. It has been slow going since I came back to work for them, so I have painted and re-decked the equipment trailers, painted the trucks. The larger excavator needs new undercarriage so that is on the short list of things to do.
paintjobs.jpg

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
aad.thumb.gif

That's particularly funny to me because my wife worked as a CSR for Cingular around 20 years ago.

Ah Cingular, how much I disliked them and their cell phone contracts back in the 1990s. Thats why I switched to VoiceStream back in the year 2000. They later changed their name to TMobile.

Been with them 20 years and happy with month to month service ever since. :)

Nov 20, 2009
Ah Cingular, how much I disliked them and their cell phone contracts back in the 1990s. Thats why I switched to VoiceStream back in the year 2000. They later changed their name to TMobile.

Been with them 20 years and happy with month to month service ever since. :)
You old fart, Cingular was formed by BellSouth and SBC in 2000.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
ahh the good old days of cellular phones

if my alltel cell was able to transition from one tower to another without dropping, it was a miracle

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I build things. Mostly room additions on houses that should have been burned to the ground fifty years back. I build the addition, then replace pretty much everything in the old part of the house.

Reactions: skyking

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
triple answer here:

1. i trained to be a audio professional; audio recording, audio room building, and music production (both tech side and music side), never got a paying job.

2. working full time in the role of "whatever they tell me to do" in various call centers and/or basic user PC desk job.

3. currently doing Emergency Medical Assistance for a travel insurance giant.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I work for a local IT Firm MSP. It's a privately owned business and we have a unique blend of some of the best IT talent in the state, so it's a cool place to work. If I can make a recommendation for anyone looking for a job: try to get a position full of people more experienced than you. The amount of knowledge I've acquired in the last 5 years beats out everything I learned in the 15 years before that. Pay is great, my boss is the nicest guy in the world, lots of fringe benefits, and I literally learn a new skill every day. :)

Reactions: skyking and Zeze

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I build things. Mostly room additions on houses that should have been burned to the ground fifty years back. I build the addition, then replace pretty much everything in the old part of the house.

Insurance reconstruction company? My uncle used to own one of those. Helped him out with the website and stuff back in the day.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Region Manager. For 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 more days TODAY IS THE LAST DAY!. Retired
I've been retired for a week now and can say I don't miss working one bit.
I have been retired 19 years 10 months.... and can say I don't miss working bit.

Reactions: skyking and olds