What do you consider to be the best source for downloading music nowadays?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Combined with some decent software functionality for finding new music, zune software + zunepass

Ah, I forgot to add that one. Isn't the Zunepass restrictive on how you keep the music? Can you keep the music once you stop paying for the Zunepass?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Rapidshare for albums.

I do pay for the all the music I download and keep (I buy the CDs), but I like to preview music in FLAC or high bitrate mp3.

I'm going to switch to using Zune Pass at the end of the month.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
www.gomusic.ru. Sure, it's Russian, but the site's in English. Sure, you have to pay for the music, but it's about $0.12/track. The fact that you're paying for it means that it's just gray enough that you can plead ignorance and probably get away with it. Also, the fact that it's an actual website, instead of torrent or usenet means the RIAA won't be knocking at your door. The .mp3s are good quality and the site has been around for years. I've used them for a long time and it's legit (at least for my purposes).

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
www.gomusic.ru. Sure, it's Russian, but the site's in English. Sure, you have to pay for the music, but it's about $0.12/track. The fact that you're paying for it means that it's just gray enough that you can plead ignorance and probably get away with it. Also, the fact that it's an actual website, instead of torrent or usenet means the RIAA won't be knocking at your door. The .mp3s are good quality and the site has been around for years. I've used them for a long time and it's legit (at least for my purposes).

does this have anything to do with allofmp3? that site was the shit...

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Zune pass. I like to use the net for some late breaking news depending on if I can find those groups online or not... From time to time.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
does this have anything to do with allofmp3? that site was the shit...

Allofmp3.com (which turned into mp3sparks.com) was great until they stopped accepting Visa directly for payment. I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to open an account with some shady Eastern European paypal clone in order to get cheaper music.

So now I use both iTunes and Amazon. However, since iTunes 9, it's looking like it's harder to tell whether the music you're buying is infested with DRM, so I will be buying more from Amazon and less from iTunes for that very reason.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nice, I forgot about that app. Do most hubs still have rediculous requirements for how much stuff you have to share? I remember most hubs would not even let you connect if you did not share like 100GB + and that's when a 40GB drive was the norm. I remember hosting a hub but it totally killed my internet connection so I took it offline. I was still getting hit by all the traffic for months after the fact. LOL
Actually, I havent used it in a long time.
As I recall: Most hubs have SOME sort of a requirement. But a lot of times it can be like 1GB. And if its a single Linux ISO then thats enough.
In fact I found Linux ISO's to be the easiest way to boost my share no matter what the requirement was.

I used Download Accelerator to que them up and download them by the dozens over FTP. I'd start it before going to bed, and in the morning I'd have at least 10 gigs, if not more.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I use Napster to legally try before I buy.

I usually buy CDs so I can rip to lossless FLAC for my music server then transcode to 192 kbps MP3 for my iPod. I've also tried Amazon's MP3 service with some free credits and the quality was quite good.
Same, except I use torrents to illegally try before I buy. Can you preview full songs on Napster or something?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I try to limit my torrents to people long dead. In other instances I'm keeping track and balances will be evened out. I like Emusic for a pay service. I had to drop my account due to lack of money, but I'd like to get back with them.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
If I hear something on www.di.fm that I like...or from some other source...

1) Check the artist's website. Sometimes they give out their stuff for free.
2) Amazon.com and pay $.99.
3) Use DC++ if #2 doesn't work.