What do you consider to be the best source for downloading music nowadays?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I use torrents for watching TV a huge amount but I don't download music much. Used Limewire for a while but I'm no long clear what the most popular sources are.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Private music torrent trackers. Limewire = virii, lawsuits, accidental pedobear sightings.

isohunt and h33t are good for ur basic common stuff, more specific and you'll need to be part of the in-crowd.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Private music torrent trackers. Limewire = virii, lawsuits, accidental pedobear sightings.

isohunt and h33t are good for ur basic common stuff, more specific and you'll need to be part of the in-crowd.

Yeah that's why I want to stay away from Limewire. Although when I used it I didn't share any of the songs I downloaded. Outside these P2P clients though I find it impossible to find the more esoteric stuff I like. And I don't know any private trackers.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I use Napster to legally try before I buy.

I usually buy CDs so I can rip to lossless FLAC for my music server then transcode to 192 kbps MP3 for my iPod. I've also tried Amazon's MP3 service with some free credits and the quality was quite good.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
DC++

:awe:

Nice, I forgot about that app. Do most hubs still have rediculous requirements for how much stuff you have to share? I remember most hubs would not even let you connect if you did not share like 100GB + and that's when a 40GB drive was the norm. I remember hosting a hub but it totally killed my internet connection so I took it offline. I was still getting hit by all the traffic for months after the fact. LOL

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
iTunes hands down, the biggest selection of music, and you can always find iTunes gift cards for sell cheap via 3rd party people who got one for a present and don't want it. Also their tunes don't have DRM any more. This Xmas I expect I'll be able to pick up a few hundred in iTunes GC's for about half what they're worth :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Stupid N00b question but do they sell individual tracks?

Yep, single tracks and discounted full albums. Normal DRM-free MP3 tracks.

They have a download manager to allow you to resume broken downloads, but it only runs when it sees a download command from Amazon, it doesn't run all the time or mess up other downloads.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Combined with some decent software functionality for finding new music, zune software + zunepass