What do mushrooms eat?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
We............. matsutaki (sp?0 mushrooms grow on rotting oak logs so I guess they are eatting the decaying log.

Cheers,
Aquaman

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Aquaman
We............. matsutaki (sp?0 mushrooms grow on rotting oak logs so I guess they are eatting the decaying log.

Cheers,
Aquaman

huh?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
Originally posted by: Aquaman
In Soviet Russia............... mushrooms eat you :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

GoodtoGo beat you to it :p

In Left Wing Canada .............. Beave humps you ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman <<<<<<<<< seems to be the only thing that happens in left wing Canada :D

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Roses, tomatoes, wheat, rice, apricots.............................THEY ALL EAT DEAD STUFF!

Mushrooms are no different in their diet, only their environment.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
What you see above the ground is really the fruit produced by a "mushroom" the actual fungus that is "the mushroom" is in the underground fibers, these are the things that do the actuall adsorption of nutrientents from the soil or decaying matter. The cap is only there to produce and distribute spores.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossGr
What you see above the ground is really the fruit produced by a "mushroom" the actual fungus that is "the mushroom" is in the underground fibers, these are the things that do the actuall adsorption of nutrientents from the soil or decaying matter. The cap is only there to produce and distribute spores.

Yep. It's actually quite interesting when you think about it that way...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Qosis
primarily what do mushrooms eat? specific examples would be appreciated also.

Different strains grow, optimally, on different substrates. Mushrooms will grow on anything which fulfills its nutritional requirements. I think button mushrooms are typically grown on compose. But I once saw them growing in the refrigerator on the paper carton they were packaged in from the store.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Roses, tomatoes, wheat, rice, apricots.............................THEY ALL EAT DEAD STUFF!

Mushrooms are no different in their diet, only their environment.

Actually... that's not really true. All those plants rely on photosynthesis for food. A fungi has no such luxury..

A plant that produces food through photosynthesis relies on things like fungi, and microorganisms to break down organic matter into the most basic of forms(nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) so the plants roots can absorb them.

A fungus digests its medium....

I understand what you were trying to say, though. :p

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Anybody else watch Fantastic Fungi on Netflix?
Watching it now. It's a fascinating look at a misunderstood and often feared species of life on this planet that we still don't fully understand.