What do mushrooms eat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Many fungi swap nutrients with plants, minerals for energy.

Reactions: BudAshes and Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Mushrooms_in_feces.JPG

cow-poop-with-mushrooms.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When the rain is heavy I get mushrooms on my lawn. I do not know what they feed on. I hate them. They look white but when you pick them up they stain your hands orange. I hate the things so much.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
primarily what do mushrooms eat? specific examples would be appreciated also.
Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of certain fungi. The fungus that puts forth the fruiting body (i.e. the mushroom) consists of mycelium, which is basically a fungal growth within a medium that the fungus feeds on. That can be something like leaf litter, compost, tree bark, whatever the particular fungus prefers. Thus, certain mushrooms are apt to be found under conifers, for instance. I have mushrooms growing at the edge of my backyard compost pile. I have a suspicion of the species but I would not eat it without a positive identification, but I haven't bothered. I have a nice big book that's really good for identifying mushroom species (Mushrooms Demystified). I used to go into the hills here and collect mushrooms after the rains, bring them home and identify them. It's fun. They are so varied and often quite beautiful.

The mushroom itself, being a fruiting body, produces spores, which are like tiny microscopic seeds that fall from the underside of the mushroom (in most species) and float in the air and settle eventually. If one of those spores settles in a place conducive to the fungus growing, a new area of mycelium is formed and if conditions are right, more mushrooms are produced. Such is the life cycle of these fungi.

As explained previously in this thread, mushroom mycelium can form symbiotic relationships with other plant species.

Cow doo-doo.
Yes, Psilocybe cubensis, a famous and rather large psychedelic mushroom does grow out of cow-pies.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
In Russia, mushrooms eat you.
In Soviet Russia............... mushrooms eat you :D
19 years and nobody picked up on it. What a Forum!!!

yakov-smirnoff.jpg

Pooh pic 1

Pooh pic 2

Posted 19 years ago:
Cow doo-doo.

----------------------

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of certain fungi.
Also posted 19 years ago:
What you see above the ground is really the fruit produced by a "mushroom" the actual fungus that is "the mushroom" is in the underground fibers,

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
When the rain is heavy I get mushrooms on my lawn. I do not know what they feed on. I hate them. They look white but when you pick them up they stain your hands orange. I hate the things so much.
So why are you trying to pick them? Just leave them alone.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So why are you trying to pick them? Just leave them alone.
Yeah, really. I have never hated a mushroom. However, since I haven't seen it said here, I will volunteer that you should not eat a wild mushroom unless you know it's edible. Many mushrooms are edible and delicious, others can get you high in a variety of ways, some will make you sick, some simply slay you.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
YOU HAVE TO GET RID OF THEM OR THEY COVER THE ENTIRE LAWN AND SPREAD TO THE NEIGHBORS AND TAKE OVER PLANET EARTH YOU MORONS!!

Nov 17, 2019
Shorty thinks that's a joke, but ......

"That’s the estimate for the size of the famed Armillaria gallica fungus in Crystal Falls,* Michigan, deemed the world’s single largest organism when it was discovered in the late 1980s. At that time, researchers believed that the fungus—which is mostly composed of an underground network of tendrils and emerges from the ground in clumps of honey mushrooms—weighed 110 tons and was about 1,500 years old. The same team of Canadian and American researchers recently revisited the fungus to conduct genetic tests, only to find that their initial assessment had been way, way off. In a new paper under review and posted to bioRxiv, the authors posit that the titanic organism weighs four times as much and is about 1,000 years older. For reference, that makes this single individual more massive than three large blue whales, and just a little smaller than Vatican City."

"
Known locally as the “Humongous Fungus” the massive networked fungus growing beneath Malheur National Forest may be the largest and oldest life form still active on the planet.

This particular specimen of Armillaria ostoyae fungus is not only the world’s biggest organism by area at 2,200 acres, but it is also one of its oldest having been around for at least 2,400 years. Commonly known as the “Honey Mushroom,” the fungus is easy to spot as it appears all over the ground in Malheur National Forest under which the expansive life form thrives. The mushroom’s sweet name belies the fact that it is a parasite, feasting on the roots of the conifers growing above it and killing them in vast swaths. In fact, the only way that scientists have been able to estimate the plant’s true size is by studying the death of the above-ground trees"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
YOU HAVE TO GET RID OF THEM OR THEY COVER THE ENTIRE LAWN AND SPREAD TO THE NEIGHBORS AND TAKE OVER PLANET EARTH YOU MORONS!!
I think there may be a job for you in the State Department if the GQP win the presidency in 2024.

Got news for you: Mushrooms will very likely be here and doing well after the human race is completely gone.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Very nice ~3 minute vid. Spilled over into this great ~30 minute vid I'm 1/2 way through. He's a photographer (and retired software engineer) and an expert in time lapse. Sensational.

2 minute explanation of his 2nd life as a mycologist/photographer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante