What did you replace the Note 7 with?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Not illegal to own one, but there are civil and criminal penalties for bringing a Note 7 onto a flight now. The FAA classifies the Note 7 as a "forbidden hazardous material".

Unless you never fly, it doesn't seem worth it to me, when in 6-months to a year it will be replaced by something better. Unlike the Note-4-to-Note-5 transition, I doubt anything you like about the Note 7 will be removed from the various successors to it.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I'd be reluctant to keep/use one, even though the odds are with you, if it caused damage or hurt someone, it would be your fault, not Samsung's.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yep, definitely keeping the Note 7. I just reconfigured it the way it was last month (I had it all ready to send back) and there is no way, other than making it illegal to own one, that I will give it up.

I don't think it matters how much you want to keep it... it'll become increasingly impractical to own one. That battery capacity update is the first step, but I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung somehow managed to block the IMEIs or otherwise stop the remaining Note 7s from working normally. The company likely doesn't want to risk being held liable for not doing enough when there's an injury or fire damage.

Last edited:

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I know there's unfortunately nothing on the market that really compares a to the Note 7, but I'm making do with a S7 until the Note 8, or whatever the name will be, can come to market. Not much else to do.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Not illegal to own one, but there are civil and criminal penalties for bringing a Note 7 onto a flight now. The FAA classifies the Note 7 as a "forbidden hazardous material".

Unless you never fly, it doesn't seem worth it to me, when in 6-months to a year it will be replaced by something better. Unlike the Note-4-to-Note-5 transition, I doubt anything you like about the Note 7 will be removed from the various successors to it.

I have plenty of other phones I can take on flights.

gipper53

Apr 4, 2013
I have plenty of other phones I can take on flights.

I'm surprised you're willing to eat the cost, since it may be a paperweight in a few months. Worst case they send an update to brick it. Best case they will cripple it further and certainly never update software or security. Why not take it back while it's still worth something? It's a great phone but not that great. But hey, it's your money...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I fail how getting an iPhone satisfies your phablet need. Surely a lgv20 would be better. You just wanted an iPhone .

It's a big-screen smartphone, and the iPhone 7 Plus (if that's what she got) still does a few things better or differently... like water resistance and the different dual camera implementation.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I have an S7 ( nice phone ) but I'm a phablet gal & picked up an iPhone

I bag on iPhones some (mostly I just find them over-hyped) but the 7 plus certainly isn't a bad choice of phones. Not my cup of tea, but I can see where others dig the iPhone.

I'm curious though why an S7 and not an S7 edge plus in the first place if you prefer phablets?

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I have an S7 ( nice phone ) but I'm a phablet gal & picked up an iPhone

You appear to have broken an unwritten rule that you're not allowed to like iPhones.

I find most Android users have no idea what they're missing, particularly in terms of app quality. This guy did a pretty good video with some specifics. Just in general, I find iOS apps better, and it's small things that add up.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You appear to have broken an unwritten rule that you're not allowed to like iPhones.

I find most Android users have no idea what they're missing, particularly in terms of app quality. This guy did a pretty good video with some specifics. Just in general, I find iOS apps better, and it's small things that add up.

As an owner of an iphone 7, note 7, lgv20, s7 edge, I can honestly say that they all do apps the same. Some may like it the way iphones do it, some may like the way android does it, some may not care in the least (I personally don't care). Its the other things that define ios and android for me. Like SD card addition. Plug + Play + drop file system. Using 3rd party apps like powerAmp to control my music so I can use a real equalizer without going through the system settings of an iphone and get told how to listen to my music. Is things like this that puts me off on iphones. They are great products if you don't mind being limited in what should be an across the board option. A simple file system would go a long way on iphones but nope, ain't there. And the iphone 7+ really is not a "phablet" IMO. But hey, enjoy your apple products. They do make a nice tablet.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
As an owner of an iphone 7, note 7, lgv20, s7 edge, I can honestly say that they all do apps the same. Some may like it the way iphones do it, some may like the way android does it, some may not care in the least (I personally don't care). Its the other things that define ios and android for me. Like SD card addition. Plug + Play + drop file system. Using 3rd party apps like powerAmp to control my music so I can use a real equalizer without going through the system settings of an iphone and get told how to listen to my music. Is things like this that puts me off on iphones. They are great products if you don't mind being limited in what should be an across the board option. A simple file system would go a long way on iphones but nope, ain't there. And the iphone 7+ really is not a "phablet" IMO. But hey, enjoy your apple products. They do make a nice tablet.

Hey, we'll have none of that reasonableness around here, mister.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Oyeve, why isn't the iPhone 7+ a phablet?

Wiki: Phablets typically have a diagonal display measurement ranging from 5.5–6.99 inches (140–178 mm)[2][3] — a range that complements screen-intensive activity such as mobile web browsing and multimedia viewing. They may also include software optimized for an integral self-storing stylus to facilitate sketching, note-taking and annotation. Because of their size, phablet use may require two hands.[4]

Oxford: A smartphone having a screen which is intermediate in size between that of a typical smartphone and a tablet computer.

Techopedia: The phablet term originated on popular tech blogs like Engadget and TechCrunch. Phablets vary in size and appearance but are generally smaller than standard seven- to 10-inch tablets, with an ideal size of approximately five inches. Thus, the size of a phablet is between that of a tablet and smartphone.

Dictionary.com: a mobile device that combines the features of asmartphone and a tablet computer and is largerthan a typical smartphone but not as large as atypical small tablet.

I think you need to contact the above references & let them know of your definition.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Oyeve, why isn't the iPhone 7+ a phablet?

Wiki: Phablets typically have a diagonal display measurement ranging from 5.5–6.99 inches (140–178 mm)[2][3] — a range that complements screen-intensive activity such as mobile web browsing and multimedia viewing. They may also include software optimized for an integral self-storing stylus to facilitate sketching, note-taking and annotation. Because of their size, phablet use may require two hands.[4]

Oxford: A smartphone having a screen which is intermediate in size between that of a typical smartphone and a tablet computer.

Techopedia: The phablet term originated on popular tech blogs like Engadget and TechCrunch. Phablets vary in size and appearance but are generally smaller than standard seven- to 10-inch tablets, with an ideal size of approximately five inches. Thus, the size of a phablet is between that of a tablet and smartphone.

Dictionary.com: a mobile device that combines the features of asmartphone and a tablet computer and is largerthan a typical smartphone but not as large as atypical small tablet.

I think you need to contact the above references & let them know of your definition.

What part of "imo" did you not get?

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

When did Technopedia write that one? Five inches is a phablet? Don't think so. That's a normal every day phone size for awhile now.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Probably the part where opinions can be wrong, like saying the iPhone 7+ isn't a phablet.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Phablet is kind of a stupid label in the first place. Any phone less than 7" isn't *really* a tablet-like device. That term made some sense when an iPhone was still 3.5" and a "big" phone was maybe 4.5"... then suddenly... "OMG 5"!! It's like a tablet...!!"

Nowadays though, the term is silly. But I guess it adds some street-cred to a device or something to share a silly label?

THIS monstrosity is *actually* a phablet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013X0V16K

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Phablet is kind of a stupid label in the first place. Any phone less than 7" isn't *really* a tablet-like device. That term made some sense when an iPhone was still 3.5" and a "big" phone was maybe 4.5"... then suddenly... "OMG 5"!! It's like a tablet...!!"

Nowadays though, the term is silly. But I guess it adds some street-cred to a device or something to share a silly label?

OMG! That's so wonderful! LOL!

Although it's still on the small side. My definition of a phablet means it takes both hands to hold it to your ear for a call. And while you're on the call, the rear screen of the 'phablet' plays annoying pantomime ads that the user gets 80% of the revenue from to offset the cost for physio. :p

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Probably the part where opinions can be wrong, like saying the iPhone 7+ isn't a phablet.

Yeah, I have to remind myself frequently members like Dave McCowen are allowed to post.

If that had a little better specs, I'd buy one, LOL. Have come very close to buying an international Samsung tablet with phone hardware/firmware. Downside is it'd (the Samsung tablet) never get updates and I'm too lazy to mess around with roms etc anymore.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
In my eyes, a phone over 5.5" used to be a phablet. However with phones like the S7 Edge shrinking a 5.5" screen into a much smaller body than the past, that quick and dirty rule doesn't seem to hold true anymore.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I look at it this way: phones like the iPhone 7 Plus / GS7 Edge are phablets... but the distinction isn't really needed these days when phones this size are both reasonably popular and sometimes compact enough to be manageable in your hands.