What did you replace the Note 7 with?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think the only thing that might tick all your boxes is the Moto G4 Plus 64gb. But the Note 4 you already have is comparable hardware wise, and better software wise (IMO). So it's still not really an option.

But it's only $300.
I didn't buy a Note 7, but considered it and the Galaxy S7 prior to the meltdown.

I just got the Moto X Pure Edition (2015) from Amazon (new reseller) to save on sales tax. I'm a huge fan of Moto X and always thought the G phones were a step down. I settled on this phone because it was under $300 and works with Sprint/Verizon and GSM. You can build them custom through Moto for about $300 for the 32GB model. There's room for a sim card, so you can always add more storage on the cheap when you need it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
At the moment, nothing. Getting by with using my work issued iPhone 6S as my only phone.

If I was going to get something, it would most likely be the Pixel XL. As much as I dislike the big bezels, it is the best performing Android phone and gets updates first straight from Google. Nothing else beats that in the Android world IMHO.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Is reading comprehension that hard for you? I asked a question. It's really that simple.

Actually no, all A's in English in college.

Just doing a reality check, as I said, the post said nothing about South Koreans keeping their Note 7's, nor did the article linked in the post.

Carry on, sorry I interrupted, my sincere apologies.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I never claimed the article did. I asked a question.
Just an obeservstion, I've noticed the mobile device forum has become more needlessly combattve with a lot of childishness expressly from Kazukian.

Personally wish he'd save the combative nonsense and babifiedness for P&N. Have at it in there. Leave this forum alone for people to discuss mobile tech even if it ruffles your feathers.

Reactions: Oyeve

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
This thread supports my view that the Note 7 really was the best 2H 2016 Android phone by a good margin and IMO the only one with actual differentiation with its design/display - and a real all-round challenger to the 7 Plus. The updated TW also seemed to get a positive reception as long as you were accustomed to Samsung software and not a stock- fanatic.

It's too bad as the Note 7 seems to really have improved the main areas I would have liked from the S7 Edge - though I would have given up the S-pen for a bigger battery myself.

Hopefully the S8 Plus (or Pro or whatever the larger version will be) is going to be mega.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Just an obeservstion, I've noticed the mobile device forum has become more needlessly combattve with a lot of childishness expressly from Kazukian.

Personally wish he'd save the combative nonsense and babifiedness for P&N. Have at it in there. Leave this forum alone for people to discuss mobile tech even if it ruffles your feathers.

Some pot and kettle action, there. And I'm not excluding myself in that sentiment.

This forum seems saltier than usual, but so has every site I usually visit. People are stupid.

If a phone is not every single thing you've ever wanted in a phone, welcome to smartphones. Expressing disappointment and criticism is very different from what I've been seeing.

/r/Android is the worst, and it's probably bleeding out from there.

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Some pot and kettle action, there. And I'm not excluding myself in that sentiment.

This forum seems saltier than usual, but so has every site I usually visit. People are stupid.

If a phone is not every single thing you've ever wanted in a phone, welcome to smartphones. Expressing disappointment and criticism is

I think it's a good thing if consumers are salty. Hopefully they will keep complaining and vote with their dollars as well.

The sooner we get to the days where people are more reluctant to spend $700+ on a phone that is far from perfect, the sooner we get better phones that we are all happy with.

I can't stand a business that tells me what I want and expects me to pay for it which seems to be rife in the tech/phone world, across the board, by all the major players.

"Hey this easily breakable, hard-to-fix phone with a lack of [pick several: hardware, software, stability, etc] that costs $700 is premium because we say it is!"

I can't think of any other product I currently own or am interested in that costs so much yet is so disposable (please allow me for now to also completely ignore the environmental/waste ramifications of such tech design) and plain "just crappy". It is actually way easier to buy a used car, at a good price, and be happy, than to buy a phone...that is crazy.

I think every industry that had a brief or lengthy monopoly on what features a product offered behaved like this and it has always resulted in salty consumers until that behavior came to an end. Cars, land-line phone service, cable companies, clothing, furniture, audio equipment, televisions, etc. Thankfully it is much easier these days for most of those industries to get what you want, without compromise, without spending all of your money.

If companies got what they wanted, products and service would be absolutely horrible and expensive. Everything you own in your house would be licensed with a subscription or pay-per-use plan: dishwasher-as-a-service, microwave-oven-as-a-service, and you would have auto-deductions from your maytag/samsung/lg-pay account (with service fees for the transaction of course).

Keep salting I say.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Then you're part of the problem. Like I said.

There's a part of my post that addresses this exactly. If all people are going to do is lose their minds over the piddllyest of crap, companies won't pay attention to you. You're just a whiner, that whines. You have nothing constructive to offer, your criticisms are baseless and hyperbolic. There's nothing to pull out of that except that their userbase is loud. You know what other companies do in those situations? They just put in earplugs.

Consumers being idiots helps literally no one.

But maybe our definitions of salty are different.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
@o306. Well said!

I intend to follow your advise, just as soon as the granular subscription from my sodium mining service is increased to support seriously salty remarks. The thieving bastards at the AdjectivesAsAService.com want their cut of the phrase too. And don't even get me started with that monetized play by the actionable clowns at Verbing-Up-Nouns. ;-)

o306

Mar 23, 2015
People say that complaining never works, but history proves that wrong.

A recent example is the fact that Samsung brought back microSD cards and water resistance to their phones. Everybody called the complainers about those removed features whiners, but it worked.

Everybody was saying how the S6 selling more than the S5 was proof that the whiners were wrong and to forget about expandable storage and water resistance forever. Just whiny losers. So much for that.

Twitter is all about complaining and it has gotten more large companies to change course, issue apologies and refunds than grinning-and-bearing it has ever done.

I know one thing for sure, the answer to the question or request that is never asked is always a "no".

@ClockHound

sweenish is joining you in the salt mines. He is salty about other people being salty about unsalted phones.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Please do complain, and please vote with your wallet.

As a Galaxy S4 user since launch, getting the S6 was a forgone conclusion for me. And then it happened: Samsung made an iPhone, complete with a sealed battery, no SD slot, and lacking water resistance. I didn't buy. Maybe the Note 5 would be better! It wasn't. And as another slap in the face, it was the first generation of Note that didn't improve on the internal specs of the Galaxy S phone preceding it. There was no reason to buy a Note 5 over an S6, unless you were addicted to the Spen.

I'm on the V10 now. It turns out it's a dud of a phone (looking for a cheap replacement, and I'm being encouraged by what I see by the likes of OnePlus, Honor, and LeEco), but you get the point. I didn't stand for it. I used my S4 for 3 years, and still wish I was using it.

It is heartening a bit to see the S7 return some of the must-haves. But with all these sub $400 dollar phones that offer similar or better performance, it's getting hard to justify the $700 phone. Especially when you're not talking about Apple or Samsung...do you want to spend $700 + on the next HTC phone, when you can buy an arguably better OnePlus for $400?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Went to a S7 (not a fan of the S7E). Higher DPI helps quite a bit in VR it turns out, surprising the difference.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
People say that complaining never works, but history proves that wrong.

A recent example is the fact that Samsung brought back microSD cards and water resistance to their phones. Everybody called the complainers about those removed features whiners, but it worked.

Everybody was saying how the S6 selling more than the S5 was proof that the whiners were wrong and to forget about expandable storage and water resistance forever. Just whiny losers. So much for that.

Twitter is all about complaining and it has gotten more large companies to change course, issue apologies and refunds than grinning-and-bearing it has ever done.

I know one thing for sure, the answer to the question or request that is never asked is always a "no".

@ClockHound

sweenish is joining you in the salt mines. He is salty about other people being salty about unsalted phones.

You seem to think I believe people shouldn't complain.

That would be wrong.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Looks like the unreturned Note 7's will be crippled by Samsung eventually.

Battery-limiting patch coming to Galaxy Note 7

Samsung also revealed on Tuesday that it will finally push a previously reported update to European users that limits charge to Galaxy Note 7 phones still in the wild to only 60 percent of maximum capacity. Users with the phone in Europe should expect to see the update happen on Oct. 31.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
My lgv20 came in. I hate it so far.
I'm curious, why do you hate it?

Oop.. nevermind, just read your reasons in the LGV20 thread.

I don't know what it is about LG, but I just can't get jazzed about their stuff. So far, my Note 4 has serious job security.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm curious, why do you hate it?

Oop.. nevermind, just read your reasons in the LGV20 thread.

I don't know what it is about LG, but I just can't get jazzed about their stuff. So far, my Note 4 has serious job security.

They lack polish and design chops. Even their best devices have been unexciting. They can pack in nice features for power users and audiophiles, but they have trouble getting everything perfect for mass appeal. They really don't have strong messaging or focus in terms of marketing, either. LG is just very vanilla compared to all the other smartphone manufacturers.

Sean Kyle

Aug 22, 2016
I personally didn't get it but have my eyes on S7. Probably will get it in near future if Google Pixel will not be too expensive!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
They lack polish and design chops. Even their best devices have been unexciting. They can pack in nice features for power users and audiophiles, but they have trouble getting everything perfect for mass appeal. They really don't have strong messaging or focus in terms of marketing, either. LG is just very vanilla compared to all the other smartphone manufacturers.

I really, really liked my Optimus G Pro. Big pretty FHD display, fast SoC, nice design, the LG build of Android seemed lightweight on 4.1. Plus it had some neat little touches, like the notification LED being a RGB led array situated in a ring around the home button - capable of a ton of colors.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yep, definitely keeping the Note 7. I just reconfigured it the way it was last month (I had it all ready to send back) and there is no way, other than making it illegal to own one, that I will give it up.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Yep, definitely keeping the Note 7. I just reconfigured it the way it was last month (I had it all ready to send back) and there is no way, other than making it illegal to own one, that I will give it up.
Not even a battery choking update? (Makes me wonder, why even 60%? I could still see some people living with that. Why not just 10% battery or something completely unacceptable? )

I gave mine up, not because of any explosive risk (probably about as likely as winning the lottery) but because I don't want any sheeple to panic when I brandished it, I need to travel, and I know the eventual carrier nagging and crippling updates would get too annoying. Good luck with it though!