What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 116 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
@topmysteries5 Actually, there is no need for a bios mod for undervolting, it already has it according to what i have seen online. I just wonder if it works with your all core turbo boost mod. What do you think of the X99-TF Huanan board and could you mod that one to support one core boost on all cores?
Its BIOS can be modded for turbo mod as its X99. But you'll have to link its BIOS file here, so i can mod it. Also you will have to find a way to flash modded BIOS on it.

Bob_Ross

Oct 7, 2019
Hi,
you can download newest moded bios for ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS here:

Contents:
Z10PE-D8-WS-ASUS-4001.CAP // original BIOS file from ASUS
Z10PE-D8-WS-ASUS-4001_MOD.ROM // moded BIOS w/o microcodes
v3x2_60-50-50_microcode_39_vcc1.8.efi // efi driver that works stable for me (24/7 for few months - used with BIOS 3407 before)

Unfortunately you need to use AFUWIN64_v3.05.04 to flash ROM bios (older version that allows to use /GAN command). The trick is to flash with proper BIOS first:

afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE ORIGINAL BIOS>.CAP

and then flash with moded (without restarting):

afuwinx64.exe <NAME OF THE MODDED BIOS>.ROM /GAN

After restart you will have new BIOS without microcode. Apply any efi driver that suits your platform.

PS. if anyone know, how to change moded ROM to CAP let me know (to use with ezflash/flashback or ASUS Update).

CINEBENCH R15 score for DUAL E5-2686v3 and 103.5BCLK is 4860 points. With 105.0BCLK it's over 5000. Turbo for all cores is 3100 but with other efi driver I can achieve 3200-3300.

Can you re-host the files please?

Djordjemasinac

Apr 26, 2017
Its BIOS can be modded for turbo mod as its X99. But you'll have to link its BIOS file here, so i can mod it. Also you will have to find a way to flash modded BIOS on it.

When i get the board i will post it here for you to mod it if you have the time. It will probably be in december as i am waiting for 11. 11. deals. Thanks a lot man.

Peaches182

Mar 25, 2019
  • V3_MOF_505050.efi
  • V3_MOF_505050.ffs
  • V3_MOF_605050.efi
  • V3_MOF_605050.ffs
  • V3_MOF_705050.efi
  • V3_MOF_705050.ffs
  • V3_MOF_805050.efi
  • V3_MOF_805050.ffs
  • V3_MOF_905050.efi
  • V3_MOF_905050.ffs

If you want you can load these efi drivers directly from the efi shell for testing.

use "load" command
load fs5:\V3_MOF_505050.efi (loads efi driver)
fs1:\EFI\Boot\bootx64 (loads windows)
something like this, you get it. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aBzuUedZkrQKlrnLHVekXhSEGfAx1Rb3/view?usp=sharing

Hi Dude,

I tested numerous EFI drivers so far and yesterday I discovered yours.

I'd like to thank you for your great commitment. With your drivers I have been able to pull out the very best of my 2699V3.

Thanks a lot.

Peaches

Attachments

• CBR 15.PNG
    CBR 15.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
Reactions: MOF

SweetLemonade

Oct 13, 2019
When i get the board i will post it here for you to mod it if you have the time. It will probably be in december as i am waiting for 11. 11. deals. Thanks a lot man.
Hi! I'm also looking for cheap x99 motherboard, take a look at "X99 LGA2011-V3" at Aliexpress. It's noname huanan-like mb x99 with ddr4 4 channel, it's price about 75$. It would be awesome if @topmysteries5 make bios with all core turbo mode unlock. This mb is almost 2 times cheaper, than X99-TF and have positive reviews, so looks like optimal choice for it's price.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hi! I'm also looking for cheap x99 motherboard, take a look at "X99 LGA2011-V3" at Aliexpress. It's noname huanan-like mb x99 with ddr4 4 channel, it's price about 75$. It would be awesome if @topmysteries5 make bios with all core turbo mode unlock. This mb is almost 2 times cheaper, than X99-TF and have positive reviews, so looks like optimal choice for it's price.
Too bad $100 is out of range, I have 2, one an ASUS and one a Taichi. Quality, and I think both have bios here somewhere.

Peaches182

Mar 25, 2019
@MOF

Do you by any chance have an EFI driver with something like V3_60 or -30-50.EFI ?

I am suspecting the EFI that I am currently using to cause some issue on my system.

I have extremly good performances with the 70-50-50 version you gave us in July, but for some reason the CPU randomly stays @1200 Mhz without any reason for like 20-30 minutes and then goes back to max clock multiplier, it's annoying :-/

I went back to an alternate efi driver but the performances are 10% lower.

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
have someone look into this yet? maybe it's the key to bypass TDP limit in our xeon.

View attachment 9188

from https://www.anandtech.com/show/13748/the-intel-xeon-w-3175x-review-28-unlocked-cores-2999-usd/3

Thats pretty interesting. Thanks for the mind.
There was a flaw in the earlier microcodes. Thats why the TDP Limit bypass works in the first place. Further it means they could correct it software wise. So there is some hidden code, which we didnt understand yet, to influence that calculation.
If found out, using latest microcodes it would help bypass microcode, too. And also helps pushing AVX2 at max clocks further than actual.
Also it might help understanding the way current is calculated, which also might give a clue on how electrical design point is setted. If you investigate the intel sheets, these design point is setted software wise only. There is even mentioned how the calculation is done and how its flaws work, but no hint how to access them or where they are hidden. If this would be discovered, u could freely enhance xeon allcore turbo to max clocks.

Last edited:

SFP1977

Oct 18, 2019
Hello

I have Asus Z10PE-D16 WS, had for few years. I have been running single E5-2620v4.

But now I'm going to buy pair of cheap CPUs to tamper around..

I have couple quick guestions.
First, has there been real confirmation on using this microcode hack on E7-8xxx CPUs?
Second any idea on amount of performance penalty in memory speed, as E7-8xxx v3 has max speed 1866, while E5-26xx v3 has 2133..

Just thinking wether to buy couple higher clock 10 or 12 core E5 CPUs or couple cheap 18 core E7s..

-SFP

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Hello

I have Asus Z10PE-D16 WS, had for few years. I have been running single E5-2620v4.

But now I'm going to buy pair of cheap CPUs to tamper around..

I have couple quick guestions.
First, has there been real confirmation on using this microcode hack on E7-8xxx CPUs?
Second any idea on amount of performance penalty in memory speed, as E7-8xxx v3 has max speed 1866, while E5-26xx v3 has 2133..

Just thinking wether to buy couple higher clock 10 or 12 core E5 CPUs or couple cheap 18 core E7s..

-SFP
If you want best bang for buck to use on Z10PE-D16 WS, then get dual E5 2678v3 12c 24t. You can get upto 3 to 3.1Ghz on all 24 cores 48 threads. You can get these for 150$ each, after some bargain with seller on aliexpress, you can get them for 120$ each.

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
Hello, I have Huananzhi X99 TF board. Here's BIOS that I copied with flashrom: https://dropmefiles.com/zUBVL
I will be grateful if you patch this file.

I also have this board. I found that the newer Intel FPT handles (r/w) the bios from under win10 flawlessly. It's much easier than using an external programmer.
I dumped my bios and did the turbo unlock mod by removing 306F2 mc with UBU and adding the efi code with UEFI Tool.
The system boots up, but freezes randomly during/after win10 bootup process. Sometimes I can log in, but after a few seconds it freezes.
It's completely stable in the BIOS. Tried messing with all the settings, but I can only make it stable by disabling the processor power management completely. It means that turbo is disabled and cpu freq is maxed at the base freq...
Can someone get past this?
That was my first MB bios mod, maybe I didn't pay attention to sth.

Update: I once saw a strange value in bios HW monitor, it showed 254C for cpu temp. But after some reboots it became normal.
Also I'm not sure if microcode update is installed in OS... the .msu installer always terminates with a message like 'this update is not applicable on this system' (I have build 1803)

Last edited:

arkados

Oct 15, 2019
Update: I once saw a strange value in bios HW monitor, it showed 254C for cpu temp. But after some reboots it became normal.
Also I'm not sure if microcode update is installed in OS... the .msu installer always terminates with a message like 'this update is not applicable on this system' (I have build 1803)
I was tried deleting microcode 306F2 from BIOS too. On Ubuntu with installed intel-microcode package there is the same situation.

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
I was tried deleting microcode 306F2 from BIOS too. On Ubuntu with installed intel-microcode package there is the same situation.
Now trying with Ubuntu 19.10...
One thing I observed that the boot process goes further if I reduce uncore multiplier in bios. But always freeze at configuring network interface.
If I disable the power management in bios, it becomes stable like on Win10, but cpu governor sets max freq only at 2.0GHz (base clock should be 2.4GHz for my cpu).
I am currently trying to set cpu governor parameters, but without success so far...

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
The only clue I could find is that this Korean guy could do the bios mod properly, but I don't know any more and he didn't share his bios.

Reactions: Djordjemasinac

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
HUANANZHI X99-TF

Finally success!
Got it working yesterday.
You have to only remove the microcode from bios with UBU, flash it with fpt and add the V3.EFI to the EFI partition from UEFI Shell as described earlier in this thread.
Then with bios settings at default it works well.

Cinebench R15
X99-TF E5-2649v3 unlocked turbo.png

Next step would be to be able to adjust BCLK.
Is it possible on this motherboard?

I tried to poke the PLL, but it's unreachable from R-W Everything and setFSB

Attachments

• X99-TF E5-2649v3 unlocked turbo.png
    X99-TF E5-2649v3 unlocked turbo.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
@Zorg33 would you share the Xeon Turbo unlocked BIOS you got successfully working on your HUANANZHI X99-TF?
As I said I only removed the microcode from the BIOS. So you won't see any change until you add the EFI code to the EFI partition of your OS, because the OS will load the missing uCode.
Here is my bios without 306xx uCodes.

Update: and be aware that if you reset the bios, the added efi driver likely gets removed and you will have to add it again with the bcfg command. I don't really get the correspondence behind this, but that's what I observed.

Last edited:

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Beaware, my x99-ad3 board turns brick. Chip id differ.
(Post code 69)
I'll try to recover with ch341 writer, but if not fixed, i have to buy it again....
Same BIOS worked for others but not for you, then it means you did some mistake while flashing.

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
Same BIOS worked for others but not for you, then it means you did some mistake while flashing.
Even if the bios got corrupted, you can fix it by buying another $2 eeprom chip.
But i think you can rewrite it with an external programmer.