What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Oh really thanks, take your time and don't worry, i can wait

Maybe it's possible a separate version to include the voltage offset?
I have 2686v3, i will disable 6 cores to make it 12cores, then I'll edit efi file according to your cpu specs. -60 to -80mv may work fine or may not, totally depends on cpu chip quality.

Gio P

May 7, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have recently just got my hands on a cheap gigabayte md70-hb1 motherboard and was planning to join the turbo unlock party.

However before I bought my cpus I had a look around and it seems nobody has used this board yet, is this going to be an issue?

I would really like to keep this board as it has 10gigabit and sas controller on board. If not I will have to try and swap it with someone for another board.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,

Gio

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
Its very easy to mod bios yourself. I also downloaded pre-modded bios from that baidu link, but there was no difference between my own created modded BIOS. I am running this BIOS mod on Gigabyte X99 gaming 5p and Asus Z10PE D16WS (dual 2686v3)

Hi, I'm with GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3 with 2683v3.... Can you help me where to read to modify the bios?

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
Thnk you very much topmysteries5 !!!
May be the problem is just at me, but I can't unzip the files! I tried with WINRAR and with default unzip tool in windows - just receive errors.
Can you help me again?

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Hello again,

I've tried to update bios 3 times, but every time I receive the same error: "Invalid Image file". Even if I rename the file, if unzip with different programs - the result is the same :(

Can you help me?
You don't need to rename anything, Bios file name must be as it was. You need to put that Bios file in a fat32 formatted USB drive. That USB drive should be plugged into special white colored USB port. You can use Q-flash after post or inside Bios. In Q-flash utility, click on BIOS file itself.

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
Yes, everything is as you describe it! The error is the same.
2GB flash drive, FAT 32, the file is with original name.

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
@topmysteries5

I made DOS bootable flash.
Started from there EFIFLASH (with autoexec.bat) and received again an error.
May be really the BIOS file is brocken?

Will it be very hard for you to remake it again?

Phaet0n

May 21, 2019
Hi, I have an Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 (OEM) and a MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING motherboard. I tried to follow the steps but UBU says "Error replacing the file" and I can not solve it. My English is pretty bad and I can not follow some instructions. If someone helps me or does it for me, I pay for their work. Thank you.

AwesomeMarioFan

May 25, 2019
Hi, I have a Xeon E3-1280 v3 CPU and I was wondering if the v3x4 EFI files that you guys were using will work with this CPU? (It is Haswell but its CPUID is 30C63 which is different from the one the E5 Xeons have it seems.) If so, are there files compiled with the 30C63 CPUID? I currently have my BIOS modified with microcode revision 0x7 which, when researching, seemed to be the latest version which supports overclocking the turbo ratio. I was able to get it to run at 4.0Ghz with all 4 cores using ThrottleStop (except during AVX2 workloads like Cinebench R20), but was hoping to automate this process better using an EFI file (and from reading this thread it looks like it also may help with the AVX2 downclocking).

Also, would putting microcode version 0x7 in the BIOS work (with the EFI files) the same as removing the microcode and using the stock version? (Since versions 0x0/Stock through 0x7 support overclocking)

Last edited:

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Hi, I have a Xeon E3-1280 v3 CPU and I was wondering if the EFI files that you guys were using (v3x4) will work with this CPU? (It is Haswell but its CPUID is 30C63 which is different from the one the E5 Xeons have it seems.) I currently have my BIOS modified with microcode revision 0x7 which, when researching, seemed to be the latest version which supports overclocking the turbo ratio. I was able to get it to run at 4.0Ghz with all 4 cores using ThrottleStop (except during AVX2 workloads like Cinebench R20), but was hoping to automate this process better using an EFI file (and from reading this thread it looks like it also may help with the AVX2 downclocking).
V3x4.efi is for Quad CPU servers, not for quad cores. You'll need different efi file for your cpu as CPUID is different. Downclock during AVX2 workload is normal for haswell CPUs. For eg my E5 2686v3 works at (x31)3.25GHz on non-avx2 workload, in Cinebench R20 and corona it drops to (x26)2.73Ghz to (x27) 2.83Ghz.

AwesomeMarioFan

May 25, 2019
V3x4.efi is for Quad CPU servers, not for quad cores. You'll need different efi file for your cpu as CPUID is different. Downclock during AVX2 workload is normal for haswell CPUs. For eg my E5 2686v3 works at (x31)3.25GHz on non-avx2 workload, in Cinebench R20 and corona it drops to (x26)2.73Ghz to (x27) 2.83Ghz.
Wow thanks for your quick response! If there is a version of V3 which would work for my CPU, would you be able to link me to it? I was only able to find v3x4 on github.

Also, it looks like I edited the second part of my post in after you responded, but would you happen to know if the EFI files will work with microcode versions up to 0x7 (which was the last to support overclocking)? Or does the microcode need to be completely removed from the BIOS to use the stock 0x0 version on the CPU.