What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 97 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have a system with 2 x 2696v3 on Asus Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard. The system was running without any issues for a few months. Now I have had this blue screen a few times. Any idea why ?

BRivU2.jpg

Which efi driver are you using? seems like a voltage issue. I got this error when I tried undervolting manually. I also ran into this error when I used MOF's driver with a -90mv core voltage. I would check your voltage via HWInfo to see if everything is up to spec. Sometimes it's the power supply that has gone bad and can't supply clean power.

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
Less aggressive voltage offsets will fix this issue.
Never use highest voltage offset on your system, if your cpu works with up to -90mv, give some tolerance and set/use -75,-80 mv for daily usage.

wiseguyuk

Sep 16, 2017
Last edited:

KW8cSgF53G

Oct 4, 2017
Hi all,

i got my Xeon 2696 V3 QGN7 running on my Asus X99-A :) ....very happy...

Now I need to start from scratch to unlock it BIOS wise....

For the record: This proofs that my OEM Xeon 2618L just died during a computer restart!! I find this really unlikely as this CPU is meant for stable 24/7/365 use - ok on 2.5Ghz instead of 3.5Ghz ... but as i never got too hot and Voltage was even lower than specified.... i really do not understand how this could happen.

What I changed in the BIOS before it died was FIVR settings (I think the one, that disables the connection between board + CPU or something)....

Do you think it could have happend due to "bad" BIOS settings??

Let me know - because , i do NOT want to kill my newly installed 2696 V3 !

Best
Andy

I knew this is too late... but did you remember which motherboards brand were you use?

From what i have known, (Early? from the beginning?) Asus's X99 series board got some SERIOUS issues with Voltage Regulation on Hardware-Level for CPUs power delivery
(now(in 2018) most of them should be fixed by firmware update, but if you google 'x99 00' results within this year...,still... the situation just gets more RANDOMLY)!

This could happens RANDOMLY during one boot or even light-load daily use (watch movies online or playing games).

SYMPTOMS1: ALMOST DOUBLING OUT OF THE SAFE OPERATING VOLTAGES RANGE FOR CPUs DURING POST (1.6V~2.0V 'VCORE', YES, THIS IS NOT FOR THE VCCIN!) FOR NO REASON,
and got 'VOLTAGE ERROR' messages on screen shortly after that (Of course, if your CPU were able to survived after this one), then quickly goes back to normal
(like 0.8~1.2v which is safe for x99 platform), EVEN YOU USE AUTO or OFFSET, trying to prevent this from keep happening, NOT much use of it!

SYMPTOMS2: Just watching some videos on youtube, SUDDENLY THE VOLTAGES FOR CPUs RAMPS UP (to a level that you would't like it for long-term use(life),
ALSO, the CPUs GETS VERY HOT DURING THAT) FOR NO REASON, then quickly goes back to normal (again)!

If you weren't notice these..., and let whether of these happens for just a few times more... YOUR CPUs GONE!

THERE's ONE POSSIBILITY CAUSE ALL OF THESE: 'Exclusively Designed'-OC SOCKET!!!

PS: I am not sure about Asus's C612 chipset series product had these 'bug' or not,
because i just got a spare Z10PE-D16 WS, and QUITE nervous about this one...

(Sorry for my bad english.)

Last edited:

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Hi!

Well, never of any voltage problems with the asus x99.

What i can say is, that my 2696 v3 runs perfectly well for months now with -65mV offset and 18x 3,4Ghz ...

So no complains at all, but i do nit change any settings anymore and just keep using it... Never got a blue screen ir anything.. very happy with this setup!

Cheers Andy

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Just wanted to share this. Pushing 3% blck overlock. Currently using MOF's 1.7v v3x2_80-50-50_vcc.efi

For some reason, I can't seem to lower the memory frequency on this motherboard. No matter what speed I set, it's stuck at 2133.

SPJ2nvS.png

Last edited:

imimixa

Jan 23, 2018
Hello.
Help me get the invitation code for registration.
I believe there is also an unlock BIOS for Mac OS X.

Or upload a private file. There should be v3.efi.

http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-1762040-1-9.html
http://bbs.pcbeta.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1754928&extra=&highlight=&page=1

Thank you.

Found an EFI with a microcode 39.
Working.
You can change the microcode 39 to 3C in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TZ1umU4x0I2HiWQa7nAjiULMO7Y0PMpD/view?usp=sharing

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
Hi guys i have a few questions , I m running a Hackintosh and thanks to @imimixa and you guys I made it work.
I downloaded a bios for ASUSx99AII it s an older one but working ,with microcode removed ,and also found a few V3efi's that I'm testing with various results.
My question is once the microcode is removed the v3 efi injects the new microcode and it also injects the CPU-CPU CACHE - offset voltage or you have to do it yourself?
And the second question is can someone share a v3 efi with CPU offset settings in bios if needed for the XEON E5-2696V3 for running it smooth and with decent overclock 3,4-3.6 on all cores.
My last question is how dangerous is this unlock for the long run I know that we reduce the voltage so it s not like overclocking the CPU but who knows.

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
Hi!

Well, never of any voltage problems with the asus x99.

What i can say is, that my 2696 v3 runs perfectly well for months now with -65mV offset and 18x 3,4Ghz ...

So no complains at all, but i do nit change any settings anymore and just keep using it... Never got a blue screen ir anything.. very happy with this setup!

Cheers Andy
May I ask which V3 efi do you use and also your cpu offset settings?
I m running a hackintosh and CB goes to 2500 ish points only with v3x2_50_39_vcc.efi

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
@kjboughton I noticed in your signature that both you and I have the same motherboard and you're able to achieve 3.9ghz for your 2696 v3. Could you share your MB settings for bclk overclocking?

Which EFI Driver are you using?

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
@kjboughton I noticed in your signature that both you and I have the same motherboard and you're able to achieve 3.9ghz for your 2696 v3. Could you share your MB settings for bclk overclocking?

Which EFI Driver are you using?
How much do you get on your 2696v3 ?
Can you tell me which efi and bios setting are you using?
I'm on an asus board running a hackintosh in CB i get around 2500 points which is low compared to what others get here

shorty1111

Jun 21, 2017
How much do you get on your 2696v3 ?
Can you tell me which efi and bios setting are you using?
I'm on an asus board running a hackintosh in CB i get around 2500 points which is low compared to what others get here

try to disable update microcode in windows by renaming file here is quote from other posts
"
yes... there's a driver in windows that loads its own microcode. c:\windows\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Boot into safe mode, and rename that file (with .old on the end or similar) to prevent that from happening.

That *may* allow your chip to go to a higher multiplier.

"

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
Confirmation of exploit in E7 Haswell-EX processor series is reported...
E7-8890v3 (CPUID = 0x306f2) is shown
System owner asked for special CPUID = 0x306f3 build with testing now in process

E7-8890v3_v3x4_1.png

E7-8890v3_v3x4_2.png

E7-8890v3_v3x4_3.png

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
try to disable update microcode in windows by renaming file here is quote from other posts
"
yes... there's a driver in windows that loads its own microcode. c:\windows\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Boot into safe mode, and rename that file (with .old on the end or similar) to prevent that from happening.

That *may* allow your chip to go to a higher multiplier.

"
I don t have windows installed, I'm running Mac Osx

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
MLxWf90.png

Woohoo! After a little bit of trial and error. 105.6 bclk overclocked.

System seems to be able to stand stress testing on this speed but I noticed that sometimes my mouse would jump around or get really laggy. This leads me to think there's instability but it's not immediately crashing. Any ideas what it could be that's causing input latency?

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
BCLK overclocking can sometimes cause problems with PCI devices and USB controllers that are intermittent and hard to diagnose. You might be seeing that. If you're running windows, take a stroll through the event logs and look for system items for unexpected errors.

Reactions: foureight84