What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 93 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
depends on how much processor the negative values are
the more it endures, the higher it will climb x33, x34 or x35
mys is not a bit like that, the maximum I can catch is x33

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
To reach a multi of 38x (what is approx 3,9Ghz with a bclk of 102,6), you can disable cores in the BIOS:

10 C = 38x
12 C = 37x
14 C = 36x
16 C = 35x
18 C = 34x

...is what i tested out! So can optimize your setup on the application and the max usage of Threads.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
to the numbers written by you, understand that with 10 core left and 8 disable end 3.9ghz?
and so the examples continue, right?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
I did the experiment, 10c-38, 12c-37, etc.
But nothing changes, as power, just as cores go to higher frequencies

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
I did the experiment, 10c-38, 12c-37, etc.
But nothing changes, as power, just as cores go to higher frequencies

So you confirm that it works? Why you say "nothing changes"?!
As 38x is the max multi of the 2696 you never will get higher...

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
surely yes, that's what you said
works at the frequencies you say, so bigger
But using handbrake, which is what makes the processor use seriously, there is no change

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
that's how it is in my pictures, but I thought it would go better.
But it's just the same for me, with handbrake, it does not bring any improvement
Just so visual, it's good to go to x35, 36, x37, x38

Gellért

May 29, 2017
To any asus Z10PE D8 board user..
Under IntelRCSetup - QPI Configuration what happens if you set the Snoop Mode to Cluster On Die? I read it's great for high core-count systems but actually if I set it HWinfo displays only half of the L3 cache and it changes the infos displayed from the CPU. Is this normal or because there is no second controrrel for the CPUs which could utilize this 'COD' setting?

info
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/numa-and-cluster-on-die

Last edited:

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Hello. I would be interested in creating my own efi, if possible.
How can this be done and what programs are used?

jotatsu

Apr 26, 2017
Hi hi, long time lurker

Just want to say thanks for the ppl that made this mod. In 2016 i purchased a xeon e5 2686 v3 off ebay , and thanks to you guys is the gift that keep on giving

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/35tkrm/16

I will leave it a 3Ghz all cores, seems stable and i dont need more for now. Im using v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9_70_50_50_pc1.9v.efi and the gigabyte x99p sli if anyone is interested, EVGA 120mm AIO, never pass 60c in stress test (40c over ambient), even with the crappy airflow of my case.

I'm neck to neck with the i9-7960x with a $350usd 4 year old processor that is not even final spec, that speaks volumes of the R&D of Intel lately...

Last edited by a moderator:

joe siscar

Apr 1, 2018
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I see that it is very interesting that you participate in improving the speeds of the xeon, I will have to read the whole forum to start, but I would like to know before starting if it can already be modified with broadwell (xeon E52683v4) and the motherboard Z10PA-D8. Thank you very much.

sofi

Apr 9, 2018
Hi to all, just bumped on this thread while looking for info to boost a setup i have around. The combo is Asus Z10pa-d8 and 2xE5 2683v3 currently running the latest bios (3303) with windows 10. I am trying to read all the thread but it is very overwhelming , is there somebody who could point me to the right direction ..? Or at least if it is doable or not.

Also on bios tab Advanced there is an added field "Optimized performance settings" that is nowhere included in the board's manual and i dont know if this would be something that we could make use of. find screenshot here --> https://imgur.com/a/2wbVK

Would appreciate any help, thank you very much in advance :))

mek5

Apr 18, 2018
for ASUS Z10PA-D8 you will probably find modified bios by searching this thread using "Z10PA" in search box (get file from one of top results)

after bios update change settings in bios:
Package C State limit to C0/C1 state
CPU C3 Report to Enabled
CPU C6 Report to Disabled

now you have to add efi driver to bios startup (search the forum for .efi file, the one that is for 2 CPU configuration)

you will have to execute shell cmd from within the bios (last tab I think), but your standard efi in bios will probably not support some of the commands that are needed - if so, go to:
https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell/X64
download shell.efi and rename it to Shellx64.EFI
place it on root directory of a FAT32 flash drive or...
rename shell.efi to BOOTx64.EFI, create root folder named EFI and then subfolder BOOT and copy the BOOTx64.EFI there

execute shell efi from the bios (AFAIK you have to choose flash drive if you would like to boot your shell)

under shell efi:

load fs1:\v3.efi

bcfg driver add 0 fs1:\EFI\V3.EFI "V3 Full Turbo"

the first one is for check, nothing will be done

second will point bios to load specific driver during bios startup

fs1 is flash drive (could be other, i.e. fs2, fs3, etc)

you should see "V3 Full Turbo" somewhere in bios after this (sorry don't have access to my board right now)

restart and you should have all cores enabled to run at full allowable speed until any of the limit will be reached (power, thermal) - I think for 2683v3 this is 3GHz easily done

Last edited:

mek5

Apr 18, 2018
Also on bios tab Advanced there is an added field "Optimized performance settings" that is nowhere included in the board's manual and i dont know if this would be something that we could make use of. find screenshot here --> https://imgur.com/a/2wbVK
no, these are settings for specific uses - mostly you don't use that

carlitos

Apr 12, 2018
could anyone please share the modded bios without microcode for the Z10PA-d16 ws? I had tried doing the guide to remove it but as other had said before... no dice,

Hope someone can help me with that, thanks a zillion!

raun0

Apr 2, 2018
Have anyone tried to disable cores in specific order to optimize temperatures and performance.

I have noticed that my CPU has different voltages for each core to run at max Mhz.

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
Hey guys I m running Hackintosh on an Asus x99AII with a xeon E5-2696V3 for music production.
Is anyone willing to help me ,walk me trough step by step on how can I unlock the turbo on my setup please?

serverpanda

Apr 29, 2018
If I may ask a simple question:

I am using the efi by @kjboughton and running debian. This seems to work well. I have the 1C turbo speed with all cores and everything seems stable. I do not need to have minimal latency at the expense of higher power usage.

Is it correct to just choose the maximum voltage reductions, as long as the system is stable?

I am using v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9_90_70_50.efi right now. Besides compiling myself and trying lower offsets, is there anything else that would be beneficial to try?

raun0

Apr 2, 2018
I have noticed that -50 offset at system agent causing unstability for me.

@C_Payne, I am very plesed if you could make still those .ffs files.
I am looking for single CPU version for...
V3-80-20-0-vcc1.8/1.9
V3-80-50-0-vcc1.8/1.9
V3-80-50-20-vcc1.8/1.9
There is non of these combinations.