What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Without microcode synthetic benchmark results can be inaccurate. You will get higher or lower scores without microcode but this is not mean you can get better or worst result in the real world application.

If nothing runs worse without microcode - why not running without microcode?

Using system without microcode is not recommended

Overclocking is also not recommended ^^ ...what kind of issues do you expect when i do not have any microcode installed? I really like to know.... :)

PS: CPU-Z numbers I will post once I am back at home... currentyl @work...

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Hey sciff, i'm just wondering isn't you the same person sciff from 3dcenter forum?

I have very similar setup with z10pe-d8 and 2696, currently its cinebench score is 4400 (Vray 32sec)
So just asking how well your system perforiming in cinebench? Or maybe you did tests in Vray bench?
I would like to unlock turboboost, but the procedure seems kinda complicated to me..,
but if it may go up to, say, 5500 or so, could be the game is worth the candle.
Hey!
Regarding 3dCenter forum, if you mean forum-3dcenter.org, then no. I am not German :)

I get maximum 5200 points in Cinebench with my setup. We can go through the unlock process if you start a private conversation. Already helped Gellért that way )

Reactions: Gellért

hongruichen

Oct 28, 2017
Hey!
Regarding 3dCenter forum, if you mean forum-3dcenter.org, then no. I am not German :)

I get maximum 5200 points in Cinebench with my setup. We can go through the unlock process if you start a private conversation. Already helped Gellért that way )

Hi, Have you ever suffling from ffs driver loading issue after wake upo from sleeping? I got x99m killer with 2696 v3, removed micro code and insert ffs module in bios.

Last edited:

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Hi, Have you ever suffling from ffs driver loading issue after wake upo from sleeping? I got x99m killer with 2696 v3, removed micro code and insert ffs module in bios.
With asrock boards it is very easy to insert ffs into bios. I can not say the same thing with asus boards

Irgen

Feb 22, 2018
Hey!

Hey, thanks, that would be cool! As for 3dcenter, i mean RU - I recall one WIP with the train there, and your avatar looks very similar ) That's why i'm asking
I am unable to start private conversation yet - this forum require me to post 20 messages,and i am just joined
5200 - your CPU's has to be close to 3300 at full load?

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
If nothing runs worse without microcode - why not running without microcode?

If your system works "100" percent stable without microcode and you get performance gain, don't do this, but that's not gonna be happen.

Microcodes are part of the computers structure. The system needs these microcodes to work properly.

This is just a recommendation. Your pc system, your time, you are free to do what you want. I'm just trying to help.

PS: CPU-Z numbers I will post once I am back at home... currentyl @work..

If you are interested, this is my CPU-Z benchmark result;

2696v3 @3500mhz / BCLK @100

https://valid.x86.fr/tuc5g6

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Hi, I'm having trouble getting Asus Z10PA-D8 to install EFI Windows 10. Windows 10 loads with the logo but then locks up (no spinning part just windows logo) right at EFI boot. I check the EFI Easy2Boot is good. I tried it in another computer it is .imgPTN fat32 converted and it boots without any issues once converted to EFI boot with clover.

I checked the forum and tried turning off the power C3/C6 states, and mixing settings back and forth.. no luck. I'm able to use CSM EFI/Legacy and boot a legacy install of windows 10. I also should note that I flashed the BIOS from my iKVM with one made for the board located on the forum. I can use a EFI shell and load the efi firmware successfully, so everything seems kosher. I just need to get windows installed with efi... Any advice from other users on their settings with ASUS Z10PA-D8 for EFI install of windows would be much appreciated, thanks.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
My own custom efi, but nothing special. (-75mv core offset, 1.8vcc)

Your CPU runs stable @-75mv and furthermore uses multi of 35x microcode loaded ??

The max offset I tried was -100mV, but computer crashed during Cinebench (multi @36x without microcode loaded)... i reduced the offset until my computer was able to run prime/OCCT for 2 hours. This ended up @60mv offset (multi 34x without microcode, 33x with microcode loaded).

are there any more things that can be optimized to make the CPU run either a higher multi or runs stable with bigger vCore offset? Or are you simply the lucky guy and your CPU is a golden one ^^

Best, Andy

PS: my computer is busy with my weekly backup currently - so does not make sense to run CPU-Z benchmarks now.. will deliver tomorrow

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Hi, I'm having trouble getting Asus Z10PA-D8 to install EFI Windows 10. Windows 10 loads with the logo but then locks up (no spinning part just windows logo) right at EFI boot. I check the EFI Easy2Boot is good. I tried it in another computer it is .imgPTN fat32 converted and it boots without any issues once converted to EFI boot with clover.

I checked the forum and tried turning off the power C3/C6 states, and mixing settings back and forth.. no luck. I'm able to use CSM EFI/Legacy and boot a legacy install of windows 10. I also should note that I flashed the BIOS from my iKVM with one made for the board located on the forum. I can use a EFI shell and load the efi firmware successfully, so everything seems kosher. I just need to get windows installed with efi... Any advice from other users on their settings with ASUS Z10PA-D8 for EFI install of windows would be much appreciated, thanks.

Feel like an idiot. I was finally able to UEFI install windows. On a Z10PA-D8 you simply need to turn video/store, etc.. from legacy to UEFI only mode as well. I'll post back my Overclock results with 2 x E5-2696v3's later.

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Z10PA-d8 E5-2696v3 with v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi

Cinebench prior to BIOS Flash would get ~4200. Typically, I get around 4500 but, here cinebench hit 4700.

CINh3

How can I get more clock speed? Do the other efi files at https://github.com/freecableguy/v3x4/releases/ lower the clock speed? I have 2 x 360mm radiators so I'd like to push more speed.

Also, how do you guys handle windows updates possible replacing the UEFI microcode? Do we need to turn off windows updates? Please advise, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bl@Ze

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018

This is what I get with microcode 1F....

That is really nice scores! I'm using microcode 0x39, is that the best one? Where is microcode 1F available and does it mitigate spectre and meltdown?

I bought a Z10PE-D8 would it overclock better? I'll try and post my BIOS settings in the future for others to reference and advice on additional optimization.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007

Enable Boot Logging:

Under main BIOS menu “Events Logs”
Submenu “Change Smbios Event Log Settings”
Set “Smbios Event Log” to Enabled
Set “Log System Boot Event” to Enabled
Save and reboot

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Enable Boot Logging:

Under main BIOS menu “Events Logs”
Submenu “Change Smbios Event Log Settings”
Set “Smbios Event Log” to Enabled
Set “Log System Boot Event” to Enabled
Save and reboot

From a cold start sometimes it will boot, but I'm still having issues with it booting in general. For some reason, if I boot up a UEFI Bootloader refind and then attempt to boot the windows efi location (it fails) then restart, then it has a higher chance of booting into windows!? Also, below is all the screenshots of the BIOS settings and requested System Boot Event Log.

Error code Smbios 0x17 Severity N/A
Motherboard QRCode B7

Motherboard QRCode on successful bootup AA

https://imgur.com/a/bYR8n

Last edited:

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
That is really nice scores! I'm using microcode 0x39, is that the best one? Where is microcode 1F available and does it mitigate spectre and meltdown?

I bought a Z10PE-D8 would it overclock better? I'll try and post my BIOS settings in the future for others to reference and advice on additional optimization.
My friend, this socket and processor is not affected by spectre & meltdown
https://www.google.ro/search?q=spec...3.69i57j0l5.7151j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Irgen

Feb 22, 2018
Cinebench prior to BIOS Flash would get ~4200. Typically, I get around 4500 but, here cinebench hit 4700.
Not too shabby, i get ~4400 with just bclk overclock, my guess you should try microcode with -60mv or more offset,from your screenshot i see you hitting 145W tdp already, which is probably limiting factor here.

Reactions: shotoflove

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Not too shabby, i get ~4400 with just bclk overclock, my guess you should try microcode with -60mv or more offset,from your screenshot i see you hitting 145W tdp already, which is probably limiting factor here.

Thanks for the feedback! You pointed me in the right direction :) I googled a bit into this and here is a bit more info that I gathered on the topic. Below is my basic understanding of what is happening,

Undervolting works because each CPU is unique, and requires a slightly different amount of power to run properly. However, Intel simply takes the worst-case scenario approach and assigns every CPU the same voltage. The point of undervolting is to reduce power consumption and heat generation without losing performance. In this example, by increasing the multipliers (via EFI driver) and starting to fiddle with the voltage offset and the cache voltage offset by increments of -mV a higher clock speed can be achieved. Your computer will crash if you use an unstable value so load testing is required.

Question:
1. SA undervoltage won't result in any faster clock speed? Just faster memory IO?
2. Should the Z10PA-D8 be using with or without pc1.9v?
3. Should the Z10PE-D8 be using with or without pc1.9v?

For thse without "pc1.9v":
CPU_SET_FIXED_VCCIN = FALSE (auto VCCIN controlled by FIVR)
FIVR_DYN_SVID_CONTROL_DIS = FALSE (PowerCut DISABLED)

For those with "pc1.9v":
CPU_SET_FIXED_VCCIN = TRUE (VCCIN set to fixed 1.900V)
FIVR_DYN_SVID_CONTROL_DIS = TRUE (PowerCut ENABLED)

"Allows to disable CPU SVID telemetry (a.k.a. "PowerCut") which may reduce or remove altogether TDP power limitations for some system combinations. Allows to set a fixed VCCIN voltage (not recommended if available to be set in BIOS)"

You guys rock!

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
How to make an custom efi? it's a metode, somethinck? can you share this efi?

You can find all information and source codes in this thread also i already shared alot of efi driver in this thread too.

Your CPU runs stable @-75mv and furthermore uses multi of 35x microcode loaded ??

With microcode 34x, without mc 35x @-75mV

The max offset I tried was -100mV, but computer crashed during Cinebench (multi @36x without microcode loaded)... i reduced the offset until my computer was able to run prime/OCCT for 2 hours. This ended up @60mv offset (multi 34x without microcode, 33x with microcode loaded).

-100mV is way too much, im also getting blue screen and crash at -100mV

With mcode;
between -40 to 70 mV im getting 33x
-75 to -100mV im getting 34x but beyond -95mV unstable

are there any more things that can be optimized to make the CPU run either a higher multi or runs stable with bigger vCore offset? Or are you simply the lucky guy and your CPU is a golden one ^^
I have "good" cpu but not gold one. Good cooling and load line calibration (stable vccin voltage) helps a lot.

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the feedback! You pointed me in the right direction :) I googled a bit into this and here is a bit more info that I gathered on the topic. Below is my basic understanding of what is happening,

Undervolting works because each CPU is unique, and requires a slightly different amount of power to run properly. However, Intel simply takes the worst-case scenario approach and assigns every CPU the same voltage. The point of undervolting is to reduce power consumption and heat generation without losing performance. In this example, by increasing the multipliers (via EFI driver) and starting to fiddle with the voltage offset and the cache voltage offset by increments of -mV a higher clock speed can be achieved. Your computer will crash if you use an unstable value so load testing is required.

Question:
1. SA undervoltage won't result in any faster clock speed? Just faster memory IO?
2. Should the Z10PA-D8 be using with or without pc1.9v?
3. Should the Z10PE-D8 be using with or without pc1.9v?

For thse without "pc1.9v":
CPU_SET_FIXED_VCCIN = FALSE (auto VCCIN controlled by FIVR)
FIVR_DYN_SVID_CONTROL_DIS = FALSE (PowerCut DISABLED)

For those with "pc1.9v":
CPU_SET_FIXED_VCCIN = TRUE (VCCIN set to fixed 1.900V)
FIVR_DYN_SVID_CONTROL_DIS = TRUE (PowerCut ENABLED)

"Allows to disable CPU SVID telemetry (a.k.a. "PowerCut") which may reduce or remove altogether TDP power limitations for some system combinations. Allows to set a fixed VCCIN voltage (not recommended if available to be set in BIOS)"

You guys rock!

For power cut you need to set vccin voltage to fixed value. I do not recommend getting over 1.800 volts.

I did a lot of VCC tests on my system and I couldnt get any gain. 1.35 to 2.1 volts vccin results almost was same. Higher values also makes cpu hot, low value makes unstable. Best range from 1.5 to 1.8v

SA undervoltage? No clue..

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Loadline calibration is a Point, i set it to level 3 of 10 on my asus x99-a

What setting do you have? I think remembering, you have an Asus Board too, no?

Actually my switch to next multi is @-70mV as well! Would really love to reach that step somehow...

shotoflove

Feb 22, 2018
Asus Z10PA-D8 E5-2996v3
v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9_90_70_50.efi

CPU clocks 3100-3200. 4952 cb! :)
What should I push next temps are solid!?

Last edited:

Methanoid

Mar 16, 2017
Does ANYONE have this working with LINUX? I know Windows loads the microcode but I need to be in Linux (UnRAID) and have that use KVM to load various VMs. So how do you load the microcode with Linux?

Reactions: shotoflove